GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have taken a picture...I'm not a big hunter, but my Dad is. I got lucky back in November and had to bring my deer out from camp, as I left early in the middle of the week. I was a stressed out new vehicle owner when we had to put the deer on the roof. One of my Dad's buddies put his beer can on my hood and I freaked out. Belt buckles were perilously close to scratching the side of the Acadia when we loaded it on there.

I have roof racks, but wasn't sure the roof would "hold" the deer that was mostly on the racks, but the area in between was buckling a bit. The deer was about 140lbs, not huge. We put down an old sleeping bag and then made sure the antlers were on top of cardboard.

The picture might have grossed out the "tree huggers" but I wanted to see if anyone else has either seen a deer on the roof, or put a deer on the roof. I would recommend a truck, but that's all I had. :uzi:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I haven't gone hunting for about 10 years, but one of these years I'd like to get back into it.

Unless you are traversing some nasty terrain (I'm guessing not), I personally would recommend going for a hitch carrier for this type of use. It would be much easier for loading up and you wouldn't have to worry about it doing any damage to the top of your vehicle.

Check out this thread for the one that I ended up purchasing:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2693.msg35304#msg35304

So far the only thing I've bagged is a tree :D , but maybe in the future I'll be throwing a deer on there. :beer:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I haven't attempted to put anything on the roof yet....just too chicken I guess. I will be getting something like the hitch carrier for exactly this reason - I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be seeing a 200 lb deer bouncing around above my skyscape window.

You have my vote though for most unique thread subject line though! ;D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted this on your other thread also...how much was the total of the basket, lights, shipping, etc. Probably a good idea to get one of those. If I get a new vehicle for my wife (looking at Dodge Caliber) we won't know where to put a Christmas tree. We threw it on top of her mini-van this year. No way it was going on top of my Acadia. Deer blood at least washes off...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm just disappointed you didn't get pics of your bloody Acadia. :p

p.s. Answers to questions in the other thread to try and keep all the info in the same place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I couldn't begin to get a deer up on the roof of my Acadia, at least by myself, even the small ones I seem to always get as opposed to the larger bucks! What I have done is to cut a piece of plastic (visqueen) and keep it folded up in the back. If I am lucky enough to harvest one, I could put it inside the rig and keep from offending anyone, all without messing up the interior. But most of the time I usually am hauling an atv on a trailer and I can put the deer there. Likewise, the Acadia interior is large enough that I can carry a tandem bicycle or single inside all without an exterior rack

·
Registered
19 Posts
I worked an accident on an Acadia that put a deer through the grill (and headlights). Does that count? (By the way - no animals were harmed during the posting of this reply.) ;D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think in Maine it's illegal to transport a deer inside a vehicle...one of the guys said I should just buckle him in the passenger seat...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Cravenfan said:
I think in Maine it's illegal to transport a deer inside a vehicle...one of the guys said I should just buckle him in the passenger seat...
I'm having visions of the movie "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" (I think but could be confused, pretty sure it was a John Candy movie). There is a scene where they hit a deer with the car, think it is dead, load it in the back seat, and head off driving. Soon after, hilarity ensues. :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Kloogee said:
Cravenfan said:
I'm having visions of the movie "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" (I think but could be confused, pretty sure it was a John Candy movie). There is a scene where they hit a deer with the car, think it is dead, load it in the back seat, and head off driving. Soon after, hilarity ensues. :D
I think you are thinking of Tommy Boy with Chris Farley and David Spade.

In this You Tube clip there is a bit of that scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPmYvOhDVA

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yep, that's it. Don't know why i didn't remember that correctly. A brief shot of it is around the 1:50 mark in the link you sent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts