GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the rest of the car? I like the looks of the Acadia but on the lighter color ones the gray plastic on the lower part of the bumpers and the side rockers seem like they would look a whole lot better if they matched the color of the car. My wife is considering an Acadia and this is one of the things that we both noticed right away. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a silver and actually, the black/gray does not bother me at all. I like the contrast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm with you on this....plastic gray cladding usually annoys me. But on the Acadia, it doesn't seem to stand out as much. When you consider that this is the part of the car that is most likely to get nicked up, it kind of makes sense that they went with something that didn't need paint.

I suppose you could PhotoChop a pic with it painted and see if you like it better. If I weren't leasing mine, I think I might consider it.

DBinMV

·
Registered
148 Posts
I cant imagine painting tha would look good, especially in the long run when it starts chipping and getting ugly. On the Carbon Metallic the plastic trim looks perfect.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm sure that part of the styling behind the black lower section is that it creates the illusion that the vehicle is a little further off the ground (SUVish) than it really is. Makes it look a bit more SUV and less mini van. Painting the lower section would likely muddy that optical distinction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I can see that most of you like the bumpers just as they are :thumb:.

Not a problem for me as I just wanted to see a lighter car that someone had painted the bumpers. The reason it looked a bit odd to me is that when you look at almost all of the high end SUV's such as BMW, Audi, Range Rover, Mercedes etc, they all have painted to match bumpers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
But, this is a car dressed up like a truck/SUV. Those others you mentioned are high end and make no bones about appearance over function.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had an old Nissan Stanza that was beige and had the lower rocker panels painted black(not plastic, just black metal). I had them paint matched and it looked soooo much better. I do think that you will see the Acadia Denali with all paint matched body panels.

I am with the original poster that I would much prefer the paint matched panels, but as the next best thing I chose to purchase a Carbon Metallic as it was the best natural blend. I've always hated the look of these gray/black panels, but I've grown to love them on a vehicle like this. My wife's Pewter Envoy could use it as it is a pain to keep clean...I don't know how she manages to get some of the stuff on the car!

My 2 concerns if you are truly considering this are: 1)durability, if not prepped properly it will chip and peel very quickly and look terrible. Especially since the material you are painting is a bit rougher in texture compared to the other body panels. It will be very noticeable that you painted it and start to look rather cheap. 2)keeping it clean...the lower cladding is so easy to keep clean and non-marred. Can't imagine what they *may* be like once painted. Texture is still the same so maybe cleanup would be too, but again the question of durability kicks in. Good luck with what you decide and post pics if you do it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have also wondered what it would look like all painted. Could someone with photoshop skills hook it up in RedJewel?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dont see a pic at the top of the page. I did find a pic in the rumor mill area and I think it looks good.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now thats what I was looking for. Much cleaner look IMO :cheers:. Is there going to be a Denali model?

Shot at 2007-07-30

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
GMC Driver said:
Tomahawk,
Sorry, not a posted pic.
The "Acadia Forum.net" header at the top of this thread has an all brown one.
R....
I don't think there's a brown in the rotation in the acadiaforum.net header. I think you're seeing Adam Boca's carbon.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
C4S4SS,
I'm with you. Now that I see what it looks like, I really like it and agree that it looks cleaner. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
So who will be the first to pony up the cash and get it done? And for the Denali model so far is just a rumor. From what I've read the Enclave will be the only lambda to get a V8 in the Enclave Super. If the super does well enough then GM would have a hard time selling the Denali Acadia and the Enclave Super on the same car lot. GM is trying to reestablish Buick as a luxtury brand and the Denali would get in the way of there brand identity. But this is only my opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tomahawk said:
So who will be the first to pony up the cash and get it done? And for the Denali model so far is just a rumor. From what I've read the Enclave will be the only lambda to get a V8 in the Enclave Super. If the super does well enough then GM would have a hard time selling the Denali Acadia and the Enclave Super on the same car lot. GM is trying to reestablish Buick as a luxtury brand and the Denali would get in the way of there brand identity. But this is only my opinion.
I'm your huckleberry. I have been planning to paint mine since before I put down a deposit! Hopefully I will have it done by the end of October.

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a 2002 Avalanche (first year, only came with the cladding). I took it all off and painted it white to match - swapped out the upper sails and 3rd brake panel with that of an escalade ext, but all the lower stuff was textured plastic similiar to that of the acadia.

While the truck looked amazing when it was finally done, I swore I would never do it again. The amount of sanding/primering/block sanding/reprimering to make the panels smooth and consistant was just stupid. Not to mention the time to do the re+re... and the 100's of clips that break (unavoidable) and have to replace. The acadia looks like it would be easier than the avalanche due to the number of parts and the complex look of the bumpers on the avalanche, but I'm not going to try it again.

This is why I got carbon :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The factory did it for me (check sig). :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts