GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when it's very cold outside. Have noticed it with a full tank of gas (very cold outside) and with an almost empty tank of gas (very cold outside). Took it to the dealer and they kept it overnight outside and tried to replicate the problem. Of course, you all know that it will not do it for them. They also pressure tested something relating to the fuel system and could find nothing wrong either. The other day, 15 degree range and it's doing it again. Anyone experiencing something like this at all? :help: :help: :help: All the best, Mark in N.W. Indiana.

·
Registered
294 Posts
A very inexpensive, piece of mind test would be to try another fuel cap. When the dealer pressurized the system, I bet they didn't test the fuel cap. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
249 Posts
YES! I thought I was just imagining things...that it was just because I wasn't used to the odor when starting up, but there's a very distinctive and much stronger gas smell on cold start. The smel is like it comes from an old jalopy, not a $40,000 car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have noticed this smell as well but not on start up, and the last time was back in Nov. so it wouldn't have been that cold. Smells like natural gas right. Haven't had the issue recently though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I haven't noticed the smell on this vehicle, but I had a similar smell and problem on my 2000 gmc sierra when I had first bought it also. It turned out to be a bad fuel pressure regulator that was allowing fuel to leak by and into the fuel rails. This caused the truck to have starting problems on a cold start. You could definately smell the fuel on startup. Of course, I had to figure this out on my own, the dealership couldn't find the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up a 2008 Acadia a week ago and I've noticed this smell also. Almost like natural gas or propane type odor. It has been cold lately here in New Jersey but I haven't had the vehicle long enough to make a diagnosis. At first I assumed it was some kind of burn off from the exhaust or something related to shipping coatings used. Maybe there is something to it now that others are having similar experiences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guy's.....

The smell I'm getting is not like "natural gas", etc. It's like I've got a fuel line that's been cut or leaking. This is the smell of gas straight from the pump at your local station. I was worried that my engine might catch on fire at the time. :confused: It just pisses me off that this is going on....I just dealt with the water leaking issue because a drain hose wasn't connected from the sun roof. Water draining into the front passenger floorboard area under the carpeting. :angryfire: Thank's for your responses and keep them coming folks. All the best, Mark in N.W. Indiana.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this problem? Ours has a strong smell like propane or axle grease when we come to a stop. Our vehicle has over 10,000 miles and is still giving off the odor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
vrux said:
Almost like natural gas or propane type odor. It has been cold lately here in New Jersey but I haven't had the vehicle long enough to make a diagnosis. At first I assumed it was some kind of burn off from the exhaust or something related to shipping coatings used. Maybe there is something to it now that others are having similar experiences.
Yes, we've got a new 2008 AWD Acadia & have also noticed this natural gas smell a couple of times, but again, I put it down to a natural burn-off & assumed it would settle down (not being able to figure out how my petrol powered car could produce a propane-type smell!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Traclavelook said:
YES! I thought I was just imagining things...that it was just because I wasn't used to the odor when starting up, but there's a very distinctive and much stronger gas smell on cold start. The smel is like it comes from an old jalopy, not a $40,000 car.
Hi, I'm from Portland, Oregon, and yes I smell the same thing. It smells like propane, and is making me and my family sick. I spent the same amount of money. My dealership, AutoTown Buick Pontiac GMC Mazda, 16803 SE Mcloughlin Blvd, Milwaukie, Oregon 97267, has been terrible to deal with. The sales manager, MOON, told me that it was my problem, and to contact GMC. I called GMC, and haven't had a response back yet. I am displeased with GMC and my Acadia. Not only does the exhaust smell make me sick, my sunroof has leaked and ruined my speakers. If anyone else is having this problem (GMC seems to know NOTHING about) contact me at 541-270-0768, as I am in contact with a high powered, intelligent lawer!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I too get a propane (Natural gas) smell. I bought the car at Sun Pontiac on Long Island, NY and have been extremely dissappointed with the lack of concern for the health and well being of myself and family. 7,000 miles and I still get the smell. It comes up mostly when I come to a stop. The smell comes through the vents when the heat or air is on. I also smell it when I get out of the car. If I turn on the recirculation button and crack the windows it helps keep the smell out. This worked well when it was 20 degrees outside in the winter. GM Corp has been the least help of all. They contact the dealer, the dealer can not identify the problem, they send me home with the car. I have had it in 4 times. I'm so glad to hear others have this problem. Maybe GM will realize this is a serious problem!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts