GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised that I have not seen this posted anywhere on the boards. The button on the key fob only has to held down open the rear hatch. My wife usually drives the Acadia, and she mentioned that she returned from an appointment only to find the rear hatch of her car was open. I kind of thought she was crazy (or a little careless) to have it come open without her knowing it. Well, we went out to dinner the other night, and we returned back to the car, here's the Acadia out in the rain with the rear hatch open. I had other things in my pocket besides my keys, so something had to press against the button while we were walking away from the car. Kind of scary to think that everything in the car was prime pickings while we were away!! Funny no one tried to close it.

Not really a complaint - just something to be aware of. I had another key fob that opened a trunk, and as I remember you had to press it twice rather than just hold it down.

So are we crazy, or has this happened to anyone else??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Along with numerous other electronic ghosts, our liftgate closed on its own whilst my son was putting groceries in. The safety reverse feature DID NOT operate. No one was anywhere near the liftgate operation button on the dash, on the gate, nor the keychain.

·
Registered
812 Posts
there have been post of stuff like this on earlier threads, tried to find it but to no avail.... it was titled like "acadia's possesed".....

ill be freak out if im cruising around 80mph on a highway with my family in tow and suddenly the lifgate opens..... :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, it does open on it's own occasionally. Not while driving, fortunatley. However, I've caught it re-opening part way through the closing process - all on it's own. So, maybe that's when it's opening rather than opening on it's own from a completely closed position.

The worst case of this happening was at a motel while I was on the road. I went out to the car in the morning and low and behold, the rear hatch was wide open. It had probably been open all night! My vehicle was full of stuff and it was all still there! Good honest people of central Utah!

I no longer just hit the closing button and walk away. I watch it close all the way! I've caught it closing partway only to retract to the open position several times! Naturally, the dealer couldn't get it to do it when I had it in for the tranny update, so I guess they thought I was nuts.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I have had this problem with trunk button of my old Grand Am.

I leave the remote opening switch off on the dash so that this doesnt happen. I turn the power back on when I know that I will need it, like going to the grocery store or hardware store.

·
Registered
812 Posts
scout said:
Yes, it does open on it's own occasionally. Not while driving, fortunatley. However, I've caught it re-opening part way through the closing process - all on it's own. So, maybe that's when it's opening rather than opening on it's own from a completely closed position.

The worst case of this happening was at a motel while I was on the road. I went out to the car in the morning and low and behold, the rear hatch was wide open. It had probably been open all night! My vehicle was full of stuff and it was all still there! Good honest people of central Utah!

I no longer just hit the closing button and walk away. I watch it close all the way! I've caught it closing partway only to retract to the open position several times! Naturally, the dealer couldn't get it to do it when I had it in for the tranny update, so I guess they thought I was nuts.
maybe your right, that you have to make sure it closes and locks or else...... :help:
Im afraid i got the same feature with the 1 i ordered.... if it does happen --- i might call it "Christine SLT-2"!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
What I do as I walk away is start the closing process, wait 20 seconds then hit the remote - if the horn chirps you know it closed all the way. If the horn doesnt chirp - the gate didnt close. (IE - the horn will only chirp once all doors are closed)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Liftgate will still open via remote even if the doors are locked. Seems odd, but it does.

·
Registered
812 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Liftgate will still open via remote even if the doors are locked. Seems odd, but it does.
WHAT?? OH NO??? :help:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine will not open if the car has been locked with the remote. I've tried it to be certain of this.

·
Registered
246 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Are you sure? Mine will only open remotely when both driver and passenger doors are unlocked (ie. pressing the remote
unlock button twice.)

Edit:
Ok, my bad. Just tried it again, and it opens even with the doors locked. Must not have held the button
down long enough the last time I tried it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
bonk1313 said:
It's a pretty handy feature if you are loading groceries, I mean Home Depot stuff and need to park the cart in the collection area. Remote start, open liftgate, shut, drop off cart, return and get in.

The only "issue" I have with the liftgate is accidentally shutting off the remote liftgate by bumping the lockout button. I recently discovered that the liftgate can be opened by pushing the button on the dash.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
scotted73 said:
bonk1313 said:
It's a pretty handy feature if you are loading groceries, I mean Home Depot stuff and need to park the cart in the collection area. Remote start, open liftgate, shut, drop off cart, return and get in.
I agree the remote liftgate is handy, but I wish that it would only work after you unlock the car, its only 1 additional button to push, no big deal.

·
Registered
635 Posts
As far as it starting to close and the opening back up; I had this same issue last summer and played around with it. If the sensors are in direct view of the sun, the sensors will sense something there and open the door back up. To make it close short of doing it by hand, either hold down the button on the key fob or on the dash until the door closes completely, this over rides the sensors and forces the door to shut.

My biggest fear is going into the movies and being within the 200 foot range and hitting the button while I am sitting. I have gotten in the habit of turning the automatic door off when in dining or in a movie.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
khansen30 said:
If the sensors are in direct view of the sun, the sensors will sense something there and open the door back up.
I never knew there were sensors, where are they?

·
Registered
681 Posts
bonk1313 said:
khansen30 said:
If the sensors are in direct view of the sun, the sensors will sense something there and open the door back up.
I never knew there were sensors, where are they?
:ditto:

I have never heard of sensors (that pick up light). I think the doors is programmed that if it feels some resistance (like closing on someone) it will reverse direction, but has nothing to do with sensors (like garage doors) that changes the direction if something passes in front of it.

I could be wrong but I have been in the rear hatch area, pressed the button and tried loading something at the last minute and just slid out of the way before it hit me and it never changed directions.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I should clarify that this is what the Service Dept. Manager at Saturn told me and that the sun light is what they have determined. On mine there are black plastic circles in the door jam on either side, those are what I assume are the sensors as I have found no other use for them. But, I have never had a problem with the hatch not closing when I am not in the sunlight, or a cloudy day, or in a garage - it has only happened when the rear end is in direct sunlight. I too have gotten things out at the last minute and never had the door open back up. It has opened back up when something as small as a plastic bag is in the jam.

Sorry for the confusion, hope this clarrifies :-[

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
johnway said:
I think the doors is programmed that if it feels some resistance (like closing on someone) it will reverse direction, but has nothing to do with sensors (like garage doors) that changes the direction if something passes in front of it.
khansen30 said:
I should clarify that this is what the Service Dept. Manager at Saturn told me and that the sun light is what they have determined. On mine there are black plastic circles in the door jam on either side, those are what I assume are the sensors as I have found no other use for them.
Sorry for the confusion, hope this clarrifies :-[
I just checked my ACADIA, I know there are some differences between the Acadia, Enclave and Outlook, But I was unable to locate any sensor or black plastic circles(other then the covers to access the screws for the taillights). I have also stood under the door when closing it, and thrown last minute things in without a problem. Maybe there really is a sensor, but it seems odd that the Acadia and Enclave wouldn't have a safety feature like that when the outlook does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found my '07 SLT2 with the liftgate open in the WalMart parking lot - not the best place for a wide open vehicle, but I guess everyone was honest that day. It happened a few more times and then the button on the liftgate started to malfunction. I took it in for service and they replaced the latch mechanism. I haven't found it open since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
sss_tacoma said:
I'm surprised that I have not seen this posted anywhere on the boards. The button on the key fob only has to held down open the rear hatch. My wife usually drives the Acadia, and she mentioned that she returned from an appointment only to find the rear hatch of her car was open. I kind of thought she was crazy (or a little careless) to have it come open without her knowing it. Well, we went out to dinner the other night, and we returned back to the car, here's the Acadia out in the rain with the rear hatch open. I had other things in my pocket besides my keys, so something had to press against the button while we were walking away from the car. Kind of scary to think that everything in the car was prime pickings while we were away!! Funny no one tried to close it.

Not really a complaint - just something to be aware of. I had another key fob that opened a trunk, and as I remember you had to press it twice rather than just hold it down.

So are we crazy, or has this happened to anyone else??

mine started doing this, its a bad switch @ the lift gate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts