GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious if anyone has converted the included XM to Sirius in their Acadia. If so, did you do it yourself, or have it done for you?

I’m not able to find a lot of information about converting it, other than the only device that appears to be available is the SIRGM1
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9e6uGXuyoGW/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=SIRGM1&i=607SIRGM1

But I’m not even sure if it is compatible with the radio in the Acadia. And I’m not really interested in replacing the head unit, nor do I want to use one of the FM transmission methods

Any experiences?

·
Registered
215 Posts
no experience other than the belief that the module in Crutchfield won't work with the radio in the Acadia as it notes that it will work on any "GM vehicles that operate on the Class-2 bus" which the Acadia does not.

I'm very interested in this but I think we're going to have to wait for Sirius to come out with a new one.

The other question is where is the module installed in the Acadia so we can get at it ;D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am also very interested in switching to Sirius. I am hoping with the merger, maybe we won't have to, but that is only a hope. Does anyone know what/when the official merger is taking place and what it means for radio service?

·
Registered
364 Posts
JR Fan,

They announced the merger on 19 Feb, but there are still some hurtles--Besides getting shareholder approval, XM and Sirius will also have to get the endorsement of regulators, including the FCC. Kevin Martin, the FCC's chairman, already has indicated resistance to such a merger.

The National Association of Broadcasters, a trade group that represents local radio and TV stations, urged policymakers Monday to reject the deal, calling it an "anti-consumer proposal."

"Given the government's history of opposing monopolies in all forms, NAB would be shocked if federal regulators permitted a merger of XM and Sirius," the trade group said in a statement. "It bears mentioning that regulators summarily rejected a similar monopoly merger of the nation's only two satellite television companies - DirecTV and DISH Network - just a few years back."

My guess is that the merger is still not going to happen in the near future.

·
Registered
215 Posts
002 said:
"It bears mentioning that regulators summarily rejected a similar monopoly merger of the nation's only two satellite television companies - DirecTV and DISH Network - just a few years back."
we can all just hope they now look at the market and see what a big mistake that was......but we can't expect bureaucrats to think.

I do hope that Sirius puts out a Module for the new GM system soon. I do prefer their content. Haven't heard anything yet on this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From talking to people, I've gathered that the current Sirius Module wont work with the Acadia because the Acadia radio uses a new "LAN" connection.
Sirius is working on a Module for "LAN" radios, with an expected release of Spring 07...
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/ces-siriusconnect-adapter-for-gmlan-vehicles.html

I have neither confirmed that the Acadia radio is in fact a "LAN" radio, nor am I 100% sure this new Module will work with the Acadia. But, assuming it is... I believe a solution should here soon.

·
Registered
215 Posts
AcadiaSigma said:
I have neither confirmed that the Acadia radio is in fact a "LAN" radio, nor am I 100% sure this new Module will work with the Acadia. But, assuming it is... I believe a solution should here soon.
The Acadia is LAN

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm looking forward to making the switch as soon as I can. My one reservation abot the Acadia was that it came equipped with XM instead of Sirius, but that wasn't a deak breaker by any stretch. Still, as soon as I'm able to convert, I plan to. Even with the announced merger, it'll be 2008 at the EARLIEST before you can hear Sirius programming on an XM radio, if that even happens.

·
Registered
473 Posts
remember that gm owns xm so any gm vehicle is going to have xm. Thats like asking for a hemi in a corvette.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
remember that gm owns xm so any gm vehicle is going to have xm. Thats like wanting asking for a hemi in a corvette.
Uh, I think you're confusing XM with Onstar. GM does not own XM.

·
Registered
473 Posts
yes it does GM AND HONDA BOTH Own it

Gm owns 11%
Honda owns 8%

i didn't mean they FULLY own it i meant they have a good sized share of it so of course they are not going to put a competor in their vehicles

and they own onstar to

http://www.gm.com/beyond_automotive/xmradio/

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
yes it does GM AND HONDA BOTH Own it

Gm owns 11%
Honda owns 8%

i didn't mean they FULLY own it i meant they have a good sized share of it so of course they are not going to put a competor in their vehicles

and they own onstar to

http://www.gm.com/beyond_automotive/xmradio/
Sorry, your link only proves that GM offers XM. Here is a link to XM's ownership as of 3/31/07:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1091530/000119312507082232/ddef14a.htm#toc77262_4

Honda owns 6.7%, but GM's name appears nowhere. The table shows all holders of greater than 5%.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting. They did have an ownership stake. They must be selling their shares. They still have an employee on the Board. I heard a percentage higher than the 11% Rollin Thunder mentioned - more like 40% when XM was started.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Why the interest in changing to Sirius? I only have experience with the XM and so far am pleased with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sirius and XM programming for music, news and talk is similar. They are some differences that may be of importance to some, depending on exactly what you like to listen to.

The biggest difference is in the sports packages. Sirius includes NFL, NBA, NHL, Nascar, and college (Pac 10, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, Atlantic 10, Big West, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Missouri Valley, Ohio Valley, Southern, Sun Belt, West Coast, Mountain West, Western Athletic, Conference USA, Colonial Athletic Association, Horizon League and Ivy League). Major League Baseball is exclusive on XM.

Another reason is that some have yearly subscriptions that would be nice to transfer to a new vehicle.

Another is that some are happy with their Sirius service and would like to stay with tried and true service. I have had Sirius for a number of years and am quite pleased. When I first started looking for a new car, one of the criteria was that the vehicle had to have Sirius available. I have since decided that the Lambdas are my first choice and XM would be ok. Sirius music channels are commercial free and they stream their music channels over the internet. XM does so now, but they did not when I signed up for satelite service. I feel like Sirius has led the way in more customer friendly service. XM has changed to keep up with the Sirius service, but has not been a leader in this area.

It almost feels like a Pepsi vs Coke or Ford vs Chevy type of following for the two services.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Interesting. I will have to try out Sirius to see what it's like - not like a have a choice of what to get in the Acadia.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts