GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Does anyone have a Hydrogen fuel cell installed on their Acadia?

I have been doing online research on hydrogen generation to help with fuel costs. Seems fairly simple and straight forward. A friend of mine just built and installed one on his pickup and mileage went from 18 to 28mpg.

Steve

·
Registered
156 Posts
Got anymore info....where do i get this generator. I don't think most of us have a clue what this H generator is. :blob:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just type in HHO in Google and look at all the hits you'll get. I don't know too much about it but there are three people I know personally who've done it and they swear it's raising mileage anywhere from 15-30%. Who knows?

Robert

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh GOD! here we go again...every time gas prices start going up these things comes out of the wood works. I suggest, and this is what I do, google HHO, then google HHO Scam, then draw your own conclusions. If the claims are too good to be true, it probably is...if it turns out that this thing actually works years down the line, I wouldn't be afraid to admitt I am an idiot either. I am not a chemistry major, heck I barely passed baby chem (Chem 101), but I know finance and getting specific high returns from unspecified capital contributions, in this case, energy, usually doesn't add up.

Mike

·
Registered
428 Posts
Anyone thats installs one of these on their Acadia (if it even works) would be crazy. It would most certainly void your warranty and with having the powertrain warranty to 100k why would you want to void that warranty?? If this thing actually worked dont you think the manufacturers would be putting them on vehicles from the factory??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its a scam people! Don't do it. The success that anyone does show is from just leaning out the air/fuel mixture and not from the hydrogen gas that is generated. All this is is simple electrolysis. I'm no physics major either but simply put, water is already at its lowest oxidized state. You break the oxygen and hydrogen apart through electrolysis and burn the resulting gases. Its strange to think about it, but the "ash" you get from the combustion is water! You typically think of ash as being some sort of carbon / black gunk. Anyway, in a perfect world, the amount of energy released from the combustion is the exact amount of energy it takes to split the molecule of water into the 2 hydrogens and one oxygen atom. Because nothing is ideal, you actually consume more energy than you generate. The size of the system is typically so small that the decrease in gas mileage is negligable. In fact, if you drive conservatively, you would think that you just picked up 2-3 miles per gallon but it is not from the HHO gas, just better driving habits. Like others said, google HHO scam or Browns gas scam or Kliens gas scam and you can find plenty of experts that give you a much more detailed analysis.

One of the automation engineers at work tried one just for laughs and built the variation that includes the phased electrolysis gizmo and the tuning box for the computer on the car. Well guess what, it worked. Again, not because of the gas but because the tuning box for the car leaned out the mixture. If he turned off the gas but left the turning box on, he saw an improvement in gas mileage because of the leaner mixture. Anyway, if you do try it, be careful. Because the generated gas has both oxygen and hydrogen in it, it is extremely flammable and can ignite within the delivery hose. Its not like propane or something that does not burn in the line because of the lack of oxygen.

·
Registered
152 Posts
NO ;D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I am not considering it and it looks like a scam to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts