GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at replacing my wife's mini van...testing a Saturn Vue this weekend. Not bad...not to the same level as my Acadia, but not bad. Also considering a Dodge Caliber and was considering a Mazda CX-7 until I read about the high octane gas needs. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Cravenfan said:
Looking at replacing my wife's mini van...testing a Saturn Vue this weekend. Not bad...not to the same level as my Acadia, but not bad. Also considering a Dodge Caliber and was considering a Mazda CX-7 until I read about the high octane gas needs. Thanks for the feedback.
The 08 Mazda CX7 has been recalibrated to accept regular unleaded gas even if its turbocharged ( my choice! -- best performance and upscale features compared to the two ). Stay away from Caliber, Dodge might discontinue it. The Saturn Vue which is actually a clone of the Opel Antara is the one with the best offer right now, it has a $2000 cash back for GM Red Tag sale.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I'll have to ask the dealer about the recalibration, I've read a lot on the internet and Mazda forums about you have to have the high octane...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Cravenfan said:
Hmmm, I'll have to ask the dealer about the recalibration, I've read a lot on the internet and Mazda forums about you have to have the high octane...
Correct, i was doubtful at first, because any turbocharged vehicle (sad to say like mine) requires premium/high octane fuel to prevent pre-detonation.... :thumb: maybe to market more CX-7 since the fuel requirement is kinda a hinder to the CX-7 resume :-\, Mazda retune the engine to allow for lower octane fuel to be used :thumb:. Pls. check with your dealer again... or visit the Mazda forum, i cant guarantee my info.... hope it helps...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Did not consider the VUE as we were looking for a larger car. It might be in the hopper for the next car though. I like the looks of the new version. Good option for the smaller SUV.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, my wife is out of the "mini van mom" segment, as our twins are now 5. She also didn't want a SUV as long and wide as my Acadia. It looks like it's 3 feet shorter than my Acadia in the garage. That Vue has just as much "pop" with the 3.6 liter V6 as my Acadia does...very good power merging onto the highway.

·
Registered
812 Posts
i finally remember, all 08 CX-7 had a sofware update and engine retuning to accept regular unleaded fuel. The 08 brochure from Mazda now states "recommemded fuel - premium 91-93 cotane" while the 07 brochure states "requires premium 91-93 cotane". I was also interested with the CX-7 before the Acadia (almost signed the papers) but later back off because i need a bigger ride when i found out my wifes having our 3rd child. Hope this helps!! although i would still suggest a higher octane fuel!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I test drove a CX7 and was only amused, not impressed. It felt very cramped and....dare I say, boring.

But what really killed it for me was taking my son (with his car seat) on the test drive. We buckled it to the middle seat in the back....and the top strap had to stretch ACROSS the cargo area to the back of the vehicle!?? Bizarre, and totally useless. Imagine unhooking it every time you wanted to stick something large in there?

That was a deal killer for sure. If it was just the salesman not knowing any better....same thing!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a newer Mazda (not CX-7). POS!! Poorly designed featues. 4 years later im still trying to understand the radio and climate controls. Now at 50K and the oil pan is leaking. Buyer beware

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I've owned two Saturn Vues over the past 5 years. I had a lot of problems with my 2003, but mostly because it was an early model year. I didn't have any problems with my 2006, I just grew bored with it quickly and then fell in love with the Acadia. Both models I had were AWD. The AWD system on the '03 worked MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the AWD system on the '06. That '06 would let me spin out in the snow taking a left hand turn. The '03 would never have done something like that, and trust me, I tried. ;D I never found that it didn't have enough get-up-and-go. I put over 60K on my '03 in just 2 1/2 years. It was a real trooper. The interior wasn't very comfortable on long road trips. Hopefully they've fixed that. It looks like they are a lot smaller now with the new redesign. I haven't actually been in one since, so I'm not sure. They also made them look just like every other SUV their size now too. It doesn't stand out as much as it used to, which is one of the things I liked about the Vue.

Nice little SUVs though, definitely served their purpose. I just wanted something bigger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts