GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my oil today, and checked all the fluids.
I noticed that the coolant was quite a bit below the "FULL COLD" mark;
about half between the mark and the bottom of the recovery tank.
Anyone notice this in their Acadia?

BTW I'm only at 6,827 miles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yes. I had the same thing. I didn't add anything or get overly excited...taking a wait and see approach. Time will tell. I just won't the DexCool problems I had in my Grand Prix so I do keep a careful eye on the coolant level and color. Nice shade of pink now.

I didn't search, but I think I remember a thread where somebody added coolant when this happened and they they went above later.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The 07' Outlook that i had always seemed to push coolant out the overflow (which I think that they should have a hose connected to it so when the coolant comes out it does not get all over the engine belt) I would check it and it would be low ??? I would add a little every now and then, but I could never figure out why it would push it out the overflow if it was within the marks to where it should have been. It was the first car that I've had do that.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
What is odd, is one of the oil analysis I been getting back has said that I appear to have a possible coolant leak into the oil, because of a higher glycol count. I have not noticed a level difference with the coolant, but maybe I should keep a closer eye on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I purchased mine used from a GM dealership. It is GM certified which means it has gone through a "117 point inspection" at the dealership. When I got home and looked under the hood it had barely any coolent in the reservoir. I added some and have been keeping an eye on it. So far no problems. What was the problem with Dex Coolent in the past?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just checked my Acadia and its bottom empty. I've never checked it because everytime I go for lube change the goodwrench guy always tell me that they have topped all of the fluids. Maybe the coolant is not included? ???

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
shellet said:
What was the problem with Dex Coolent in the past?
Supposedly there was an incompatability with the gaskets used in the older engines causing coolant leaks in to the engine. I had this happen on my 2003 Chevy Impala. It made the coolant turn dark with brown, sticky stuff that was on the overflow tank. I never could get that off so I had to change out the overflow bottle. I can only imagine what it did to the heater core. Somebody else told me it was because of some pellets that they put in to prevent it from leaking. Whatever the reason, I was at 3 & 1/2 years from the inservice date, according to the service recs this wasn't due for any coolant service.

FWIW, I had a Grand Prix and a Lumina before the Impala and never had a problem. I am not going to flip and change the coolant, just gonna keep an eye on it. If you Google Dexcool coolant problems you can see lots of opinions as to this, of which this post is only one of them. Take it like a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so now I have to buy some coolant to top off the system.

I noticed some people use distilled water to mix with the coolant.
Is this better than using tap water? I know our tap water
has a lot of minerals and salts. I suppose these could react to some degree
with the coolant/cooling system.

Anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I believe your manual calls for a very specific type of coolent (dexcool?) I guess only a coolent of that type should be used.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
I noticed some people use distilled water to mix with the coolant.
Is this better than using tap water? I know our tap water
has a lot of minerals and salts. I suppose these could react to some degree
with the coolant/cooling system.
Since you need so little, I would buy the premixed 50/50 then you won't have to worry about mixing it youself. When I buy the concentrate for a change, I only use distilled water for dilution for the reasons mentioned.

jsimms said:
sandman said:
I believe your manual calls for a very specific type of coolent (dexcool?) I guess only a coolent of that type should be used.
Prestone makes a GM Dexcool fluid

http://www.prestone.com/products/antifreezeCoolant.php#antifreezeCoolant2
This is correct according to the manual. The alleged coolant problem is discussed nicely on bobistheoilguy.com website. There is lots of information about this and other stuff there.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
I think I'll stick to the "actual" Dex-Cool, read the third-to-last
paragraph.

http://acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/engine_coolant.pdf
Yes, I would do the same. The only time I would add a different coolant that what is in there is at a complete coolant system service, only after a complete and thorough flushing. I believe you can have more coolant problems that you want with mixing coolants.

Did you get your DexCool yet? I know not to go by color, but the Prestone DexCool I got when doing my other GM last year was orange and the factory fill is pink. When I checked with the dealer, they said so long at it is DexCool color doesn't matter. Just a heads up if it didn't change.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the prestone actually Dex-Cool, or their "formula" of it.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
Copperhead13 said:
I think I'll stick to the "actual" Dex-Cool, read the third-to-last
paragraph.

http://acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/engine_coolant.pdf
Yes, I would do the same. The only time I would add a different coolant that what is in there is at a complete coolant system service, only after a complete and thorough flushing. I believe you can have more coolant problems that you want with mixing coolants.

Did you get your DexCool yet? I know not to go by color, but the Prestone DexCool I got when doing my other GM last year was orange and the factory fill is pink. When I checked with the dealer, they said so long at it is DexCool color doesn't matter. Just a heads up if it didn't change.
The article did say that the orange can turn to pink; see below

DEX-COOL® coolant is known for its
longer maintenance intervals when used
in OEM applications. It is orange in color
to distinguish it from conventional
coolants. The mixing of dyes used with
DEX-COOL may cause a color shift from
orange to pink over time. This does not
affect the integrity of the coolant or the
5 year/150,000 mile service interval.

A quote from their product page: (for what it's worth)

"approved by General Motors to be licensed as DEX-COOL product under the GM 6277M specification".

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Is the prestone actually Dex-Cool, or their "formula" of it.
I have used the Prestone version on my 05 Envoy; didn't seem to have any problems.

·
Registered
350 Posts
shellet said:
I purchased mine used from a GM dealership. It is GM certified which means it has gone through a "117 point inspection" at the dealership. When I got home and looked under the hood it had barely any coolent in the reservoir. I added some and have been keeping an eye on it. So far no problems. What was the problem with Dex Coolent in the past?

http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

I have 3 claims filed. 2 for my 99 Grand Am and 1 for my 99 Malibu.. $2100 worth.

·
Registered
427 Posts
andyw715 said:
shellet said:

http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

I have 3 claims filed. 2 for my 99 Grand Am and 1 for my 99 Malibu.. $2100 worth.
I couldn't find the paperwork from my '00 Grand Am's repairs, so I couldn't file .... and the dealership who did the work (and where I bought it) went out of business several years ago ....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am confused...I have the Prestone "Dex Approved" coolent. Should I use that in the Acadiaor toss?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
shellet said:
I am confused...I have the Prestone "Dex Approved" coolent. Should I use that in the Acadiaor toss?
I called my dealer's parts department to inquire about buying Dex-Cool (dc).
I asked if the prestone would be ok to use, as i says it meets GM's spec's.
He stated "prestone would then be responsible for any issues".
In other words, GM would not be liable. I know that the prestone uses a yellow dye,
I think that is so GM will know it was not factory filled.
I will use dc and distilled water, after reading the below article
read all 6 pages (links at the bottom of article).

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200408/ai_n9453107

1 - 20 of 35 Posts