GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got lost in Boston last Saturday...had a crappy map to get to the convention center...ended up doubling back through China Town, running in circles. I pulled out my hand held GPS and tried to figure out where I was going, what a mess. About two days later, it struck me I should have used the blue button...what a dummy. ::) Still not used to having it. I used it once the first day to check out the turn by turn via the radio and have not used it since!

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Sounds like something I would do. Was in an accident a little over a year ago with my Envoy. My wife and I were pretty shaken and fumbling with our cell phone trying to call the police when all we had to do is press the blue button. Didn't even think about it until later when we had calmed down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am slowly getting used to it, as long as it works. I have called for it a handful of times and been told that "cell coverage is not good in your area right now", which to me sounds like "we have too many people using this service right now", because I live in an area where cell coverage is ALWAYS good.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My wife doesn't always remember I don't think. She thought it was so cool when we were driving around Urbana, IL on the way to Chicago looking for a place for dinner when I just hit onstar and asked for a Macaroni or Olive Garden. The only thing was that as soon as she told me it was east, I started heading that way and the directions finished loading about 5 seconds before we saw the sign. But it was still cool!

It did give us some bad info on finding our hotel in Chicago, which I thought was a big screwup. I think it sent us to the back of the building, but I am still not sure. I had to doubleback toward the exit and then go with the AAA written directions. It would be one thing if it was a motel 6, but it was a Marriott Renaissance and convention center which owned the whole **** road it was on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess the big question is - would you use it enough to justify a full year (or more) subscription.

I agree with all the posts - it's way cool - I have the XM radio but I don't have the GM navigation system. When I "call" for directions it's loaded into the XM radio and I get point by point directions. Makes me wonder why anyone would need the Nav system.

It definately has saved me once or twice and I haven't checked into the annual cost (my free 1 year is not up) I didn't get the Nav system because I (think) I know where I'm going. However with the other benifits (doors locked/airbag deployment/etc) it could pay off. You just have to do the math.....

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
mikiek said:
I guess the big question is - would you use it enough to justify a full year (or more) subscription.
In another thread it has been mentioned that you could just add "directions and connections" for a month when you need it, then cancel it, if you are doing the cheaper safe & sound plan. I plan to renew only the Safe & Sound plan when my 1 year is up, but I may upgrade to Directions and Connections during the month we go on a driving vacation.

Safe & Sound: $16.95/month
Directions and Connections: $26.90/month

Although it looks like monthly subscription rates on all plans are going up by $2/month on 10/1/07.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/index.jsp

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm a huge fan I use it all the time. I like not having to press a series of buttons to find a location when I can just call someone have them do the work.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure what I'll do with Onstar when the year is up...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts