GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not ordered one yet, but these ones seem to be made very well and offer several different options.

www.visorview.com

I don't know if you have a Nav screen or not, but if you do, I know that other manufacturers make camers that will hook into the screen in the dash.  That would be the way to go if you can (but much more money I am sure!)

I just noticed that they now carry ones to integrate into the nav, so you can do that from them too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I installed the unit consumer reports briefly reviewed. Its called the roadmaster vr3. You can get it for about 100 bucks after rebate at pep boys. It is pretty small screen (2 1/4 inches) but it gives me more confidence backing out. It gets power from your backup light....but once in a while the monitor doesn't turn off when the camera stops. A quick toggle of the on/off button on the monitor takes care of it. Sometimes my monitor will pick up someones security camera. At one area I pick up someone's tv set. Recently I was freaked out when the monitor came on while driving on the freeway.....I was looking at a nearby cars camera driving down the highway. For some reason it was on while they were driving forward. Maybe they misswired it. When I got up close to the car I could see the camera which looked similar to mine. Btw...the instructions say you will burn out the camera if you provide power all the time.

As for installation. The camera easily mounts using the top two license plate screws.
I snaked its wire behind the license and down to one of the lower plate holes. I inserted the camera wire into that hole. Next came the tough part......figuring out how to get into the inside of the tailgate to connect the camera to the backup lights. There are only two buttons that you must remove from the inside panel...then a few screws hold the handle in place. Most of the panel is held into place by plastic buttons. I peeled the panel off as much as I could then used a long screwdriver to release the panel at the buttons. When I got enough of the door off to see the tailgate backup light wires......I spliced the camera wires onto those. They give you some clips to make it easy to do but I soldered the wires to make sure they didn't come loose.

I plugged the monitor into the center console outlet. I didn't want to mar the interior by gluing the monitor mount so I took a 2 inch piece of black abs pipe...put a pipe cam ontop of the piece, glued the mount to the cap and dropped the pipe into one of the console cup holders...works great.

It's not perfect but for only 100 bucks....I am pleased. You can get larger monitors if you buy a wired camera but that means running video lines from the back to the front of the car..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can you post a couple pics of the installation? I'd be interested in seeing the camera installed as well as the monitor.

tyson

·
Registered
75 Posts
As requested....here are a couple of pictures of the inexpensive backup camera that I installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I have the same backup camera in my motor home and it works pretty well. Got it at a local PEP boys for under $100.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I don't have my Acadia yet, but I do have this camera on my Envoy and it works great. I will post a picture of my mount (sorry Newz - not the best install in the cupholder there). I used an XM mount and attaced the monitor to the windshield at the top left of the rearview mirror and used the power connection for the rearview mirror/onstar to power it (keyed power). I also took a more stealth approach to the camera and tucked it up under the trim instead of on the plate bolts, but I noticed on the acadia the prime spot in the center is where the rear hatch button is so I will have to see what GMC does for the factory install on the '08.

Sorry I don't have the Envoy with me now so pictures later.

Pros:
-neat system that you hook camera to reverse lights and monitor to switched power. start car, monitor come on but screen is black, put it in reverse and the monitor picks up the signal and comes on, then you go out of reverse and the monitor get static then goes black to wait for the next signal.
-$100 ain't bad.
-comes with everything to install and could even be a portable system.
-It's kinda fun picking up other wireless cameras driving around and trying to figure out where they are from.

Cons:
-monitor is not high quality and you have to be at the right angle to get the best picture.
-camera is not as wide-angle as you usually see on reverse cameras. I use it for hitching up the boat and I can oly see the bumper and about 4'-5' back from there and that is enough to see the blind spot back there.
-no infrared so pretty useless in the dark/night but very few backup camera have that so no biggie.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I thought I saw one in Pepboys that is supposed to be wireless. Didn't really looked into it.
Anyway, do you always need to hook it up to reverse (which I think is a good idea, but)? Is there some kind of a switch that you can just switch it on anytime. Perhaps, it will be some sort of a way to get out of boredom while being stuck in a traffic and watching the person behind you digging his nose ;D

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Kram,
If you hook the camera up to a power source that is always hot then all you would have to do is turn the monitor on and you would see what's behind you. The thing about hooking it up to the backup lights is that it comes on only when in reverse and eliminates any distraction while driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had the dealer attempt to install a Yukon rear camera on our Acadia, but the system didn't recognize it. I saw that the Enclave has one as an option, so I surmise that this is the part number to use for our Acadias. I have asked the dealer to install one - will let you know how it goes!

cmores

·
Registered
123 Posts
since the 08 acadia will come w/the back up camera maybe you all can wait and just pay the diff to have that camera added to your navi systems?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The instructions on the pep boys wireless camera (roadmaster) say not to wire it to power that is always on. It says the camera will overheat if powered-on all the time. I saw that someone wired their unit this way....I was driving on the freeway and was seeing their camera!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Anyone else have any examples of Roadmaster VR3 backup camera installations? Specifically, I'm interested in a visor mount. If you do a visor mount, where would you get power for the display? Seems like the lighted mirrors wouldn't be a good option because they're not keyed to the ignition (always hot). So would you have to run wires inside the A pillar into the dash somehow to find keyed power?

I'm interested in getting one of these because at around 100 bucks it seems like cheap insurance. My wife is skeptical of mucking up the interior with gadgets though and absolutely won't tolerate a dash mount. I don't think she even would go for a windshield mount near the rear-view mirror. So I'm looking for a very clean, elegant installation. I've even thought about attaching the camera to the inside of the storage door on top of the dash, so you would just pop the door open when you needed the camera and it would be out of view when you don't.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Satimage said:
Has anyone used this backup camera adapter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAC-VCI-GM3A-for-2007-GMC-Acadia-Enclave-Saturn-Outlook_W0QQitemZ170137355853QQihZ007QQcategoryZ38650QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It at least looks like a straight forward product..You also have to buy the camera seperately.
Did you read the instructions at the link provided in the auction? It doesn't look at all "straight forward" to me--I wouldn't even attempt that install myself. I was sure hoping that the 07's were pre-wired for a camera!

·
Super Moderator
20,288 Posts
Visor-View, have you visited with the forum 'admin' to sponsor your ad? You'll be branded as a spammer if you don't!! :facepalm:

His commercial posts have been moved so admin can look them over.

-Blue[/color]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts