GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the first Acadia to be dinghy towed (I know, because Blue Ox used my Acadia to prototype the tow bar base plates) but there should be others by now., so I'm looking for input here. I've towed it about 5000 miles so far and my battery frequently goes dead when towing, even though I have a 5A charge circuit rigged from my motorhome to the car. GMC says to pull the IGN fuse in the underhood fuse box to prevent battery drain but that seems to have no effect on power consumption. For example, the red dash lights remain on, as does anything else I do not manually turn off. On the Saturn Outlook they say to pull a different fuse, a 50A one. I also note that the fuse position marked IGN in the owner manual is actually a tin can relay rather than a fuse. All this makes me suspicious that the GMC manual is wrong on Recreational Vehicle Towing.

My calls & emails to GMC get a response that basically says "that's a technical question - take it to a dealer". I'm 60 miles from the nearest GMC dealer right now and can't see me getting much help on this sort of problem from the local Chevy dealer, who doesn't even have an Acadia equivalent.

Does anybody else have any experience or thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The manual says to pull the IGN fuse. The only thing labeled in the fuse block that says IGN is a relay not a fuse. I noticed there is a fuse, however, that says "PCM IGN". My local GMC dealer in SC says to pull that one. I have also contacted the dealer in TX where I bought my 2007 Acadia and he is researching it for me. I will post the results when I hear back from him.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Mrs. Blue says I am just flat dingy (dingie?) most of the time ;D

Come on, you knew someone was going to say it with that thread title! :)

Most GM vehicles are wired for the computer (PCM) to have several power feeds- usually one constant for battery, and several for switched or ignition power- these are used for emission sensors, the ignition, etc. The PCM IGN fuse won't do anything so far as a draw from a body component, but if the key is on you could be heating the oxygen sensors.

I take it your lights are on when you are towing? Or is it just the ignition? Would it be possible to disconnect the battery? I'm certain we can figure this out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is possible to disconnect the battery while you are towing this way, but when you do you will loose your radio presets and have to put up with the pain in the butt of opening the compartment in the floor each time you hook or unhook your battery. You could also have a remote disconnect hooked up under the hood that would make this simpler but cost money. You would figure since GM set this vehicle up to be dingy towed that they would have researched their instructions a little better......

·
Registered
2 Posts
dfrank78 said:
It is possible to disconnect the battery while you are towing this way, but when you do you will loose your radio presets and have to put up with the pain in the butt of opening the compartment in the floor each time you hook or unhook your battery. You could also have a remote disconnect hooked up under the hood that would make this simpler but cost money. You would figure since GM set this vehicle up to be dingy towed that they would have researched their instructions a little better......
I put a charge wire from ny coach to my Enclave. It runs through diode and circuit breaker to the (+) terminal from battery (in engine compartment). I understand others have done the same with Lambda vehicles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts