GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering it, the OnStar phone service works pretty well for hands-free, good reception and sound quality. I've spoken with a Verizon rep and the Family Choice plan is required in order to do it, least expensive plan is minimum two lines, 700 minutes, $69.99 per month. Pretty good deal on a Motorola RAZR, too, but I have no interest in their expensive V-Cast service, just voice and data.

Any comments to the negative or positive?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
The OnStar phone works quite well. I have a Verizon plan. The only issue is incoming calls -- if you want to callers to be able to use just one phone number, you need to forward your cell phone to the OnStar phone when you get in the Acadia, and unforward it when you get out.

Kelly

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't get hit twice on the minutes for a forwarded call, do you? How exactly does it work, does Verizon take over the number for the car, or what?

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
With the family plan, you have to add the Acadia as another phone line at $9.99/month = $120/yr. If you are not going to use the phone that much, you can purchase 100 minutes for about $15. I did this and think it is less expensive since we don't use the phone in the vehicle that frequently.

·
Registered
681 Posts
mktuttle said:
You don't get hit twice on the minutes for a forwarded call, do you? How exactly does it work, does Verizon take over the number for the car, or what?
The plan includes unlimited calling to other Verizon phones so you do not get hit twice for these calls - even during the peak hours.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We added the Acadia to our Verizon family plan, but have to agree with TMMar - for $15 for 100 minutes, that's the better deal. We haven't used 100 minutes in the car during the 3 months of having the plan. I guess it depends on how much you talk in the car.

DBinMV

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took them up on the 100 minutes, too, but that's a promotional price, not the regular price. I've already used 20 of those minutes, and do not like fumbling with a phone while I'm driving. Since Bluetooth is not available, this appears to be the way to go about getting decent hands-free in an Acadia. The additional $9.99 per month is a surprise. I wasn't told about that. Then, you'll also have to subscribe to OnStar, once the year free trial is out, so there's another $16.95, or so I believe. Quite the revenue stream, there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Verizon Family Share Plan and use my Outlook as one of the "phones lines" on the plan. My only complaint is that my wife uses it way too much! She loves it!

I agree though - the main problem is having to pay 9.99/month to add the line and then we will have to subscribe to On-Star once our free year is up.

The convenience is really nice though, until GM loosens up and adds Bluetooth to all of it vehicles, this is the best option IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
pepsikid said:
The convenience is really nice though, until GM loosens up and adds Bluetooth to all of it vehicles, this is the best option IMO.
Actually, for $80 you can buy a good quality aftermarket bluetooth kit that will work with any cell phone. Since it's so quiet inside the Acadia, I imagine that voice quality should be very good. That would be the best option, since there's no extra monthly fee involved. OnStar is such a rip in that respect...

·
Registered
524 Posts
LOVE IT!!! WAAAAY beter than buyin minutes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
A RIP??? Wait till you lock your keys in the car. Wait till it gets stolen and you can't trace it. Wait till your in an accident and you need help but can't dial the phone. Wait till they can turn off your car when it's being driven by a thief. Thats coming soon. Then get the OnStar. By then you will realize that it's not a rip at all. Or thats my opinion anyway.

nxs138 said:
pepsikid said:
Actually, for $80 you can buy a good quality aftermarket bluetooth kit that will work with any cell phone. Since it's so quiet inside the Acadia, I imagine that voice quality should be very good. That would be the best option, since there's no extra monthly fee involved. OnStar is such a rip in that respect...

·
Registered
35 Posts
A RIP??? Wait till you lock your keys in the car. Wait till it gets stolen and you can't trace it. Wait till your in an accident and you need help but can't dial the phone. Wait till they can turn off your car when it's being driven by a thief. Thats coming soon.

Whoa! Rein in your horses! I'm saying that the Onstar/Verizon arrangement is a rip-off. Everything else you mention *might* be worth a couple of bucks a month if you have money to throw around. And by the way, the little OnStar fear tactics you mention are amusing, but come on, you're almost making it sound like I should just sell my car and take the bus, because that way I won't have to worry about locking my keys in the car, which won't matter anyway because it'll be stolen by a guy who'll be able to call OnStar when he has a horrible accident...(and that's what I call sarcasm!!)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Neither my wife or myself own a cell phone. When I looked at the price of the Verison plan (minimum of $69.99/month) I said no freakin' way. I did add the 100 minutes to our account from OnStar though. We still have most of them left.

I really, really hate people that gab away on their phones in the car. They all think they can drive well. They don't.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Dan-M said:
A RIP??? Wait till you lock your keys in the car. Wait till it gets stolen and you can't trace it. Wait till your in an accident and you need help but can't dial the phone. Wait till they can turn off your car when it's being driven by a thief. Thats coming soon. Then get the OnStar. By then you will realize that it's not a rip at all. Or thats my opinion anyway.
Not arguing that OnStar isn't convenient and handy in those situations, but seriously, how on earth did people survive before OnStar? How do people who don't own GM vehicles survive?

Unless they give me a discount after my free year is up (like they did with my Vue), I won't be renewing the service. It's an extra expense I can do without.

·
Registered
362 Posts
When was the last time any of you accidentally locked your keys in the car?

I'll start, high school, 1981.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
jfencl said:

I used to do this quite often actually. The last time I remember locking my keys in the car was my 1985 Camaro (probably about 6 or 7 years ago). It was in the parking lot at Super K-Mart. My boyfriend had a fit because of my stupidity. Then he went inside the store, bought a metal yard stick and a rubber wedge door stop. He came back out and MacGyver'd my door locks open with just those two objects. LOL Who needs OnStar?!? :p

·
Registered
362 Posts
Web Raven said:
jfencl said:

I used to do this quite often actually. The last time I remember locking my keys in the car was my 1985 Camaro (probably about 6 or 7 years ago). It was in the parking lot at Super K-Mart. My boyfriend had a fit because of my stupidity. Then he went inside the store, bought a metal yard stick and a rubber wedge door stop. He came back out and MacGyver'd my door locks open with just those two objects. LOL Who needs OnStar?!? :p
Did he have a mullet? I've heard that helps in those kinds of situations.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
jfencl said:
Web Raven said:
jfencl said:

Did he have a mullet? I've heard that helps in those kinds of situations.
LOL! No, but his hair is as long as mine (beyond the middle of his back. all one length).

·
Registered
95 Posts
The last time I locked my keys in my car was 1997. Hasn't been an issue since then since I am smarter (yeah right) or the fact that most cars these days won't let you lock your car when the keys are still in the ignition, add to that the fact that I never lock my doors without using the key fob and it's pretty unlikely that I would need Onstar to unlock my doors. I think the largest attraction is the accident notification and assistance. Handsfree calling I would rather use a headset, directions I have GPS and locating a stolen car I have insurance for. I can't justify the monthly cost of Onstar.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the Verizon Family Share with Onstar for my Saturn Vue, and will keep it when my Outlook order comes in (being shipped any day ;D)

I like the ability of the call forwarding. This way, people can call your same number and get you on the Onstar phone. I almost never use enough minutes for it to be worth the cost, but the forwarding feature is cool enough to justify it for me.

I just thought of another reason to use the Unlock feature. I was on a trip and left the baby at my parent's house, along with my car. The car had a Barney DVD locked in it, which my baby immediately started asking for when I left. Being 100 miles away, there was nothing I could do. Had I remembered, I probably could have called Onstar to have them unlock the door and save Grandma some headaches!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts