GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this summer we are planning to drive all the way to disneyland and seaworld, which is about 4,600 km roundtrip. i'd like to get some suggestions, tips from fellow members on how i could lighten up the load a little bit on the acadia. here's what i'm planning to do in preparation for the loooong roadtrip:
- install a clear bra (hood and fender) -- has anybody installed a clear bra? any feedbacks?
- get a bug net and put it on top of the grille
- change the oil to synthetic??

other suggestions? thanks!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
We just switched to synthetic, haven't been able to check the MPG yet. Certain times of the year in Florida you'll get a lot of bugs on the front of the car, I park near the hotel sprinklers and the bugs were cleaned off by the sprinklers overnight. Oh yea, and I have had small lizards crawl into my room when I left the hotel room door open. In my minivan I take out the extra seats for more luggage room and less weight to haul around.
Sorry I can't help with the bra, but make sure it fits tight as I've seen some that weren't secured well and they rubbed the paint off.
You're visiting Disneyland in California? Have fun!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the hotel sprinkler is a good idea! and i get some free wash ;D. the clear bra i was referring is the clear plastic that is 'laminated' into the car. here are some pics http://www.downtownautospa.com/ppf.htm. i saw some threads discussing this but i am not sure if any member has actually done this. i'm also planning to apply zaino aio just before the trip.

thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for sharing your roadtrip experience. on my roadtrip, there will be 3 adults and 3 kids. were you on the road at night or at day? how many hours did you drive?

·
Registered
73 Posts
We drove about 9 hours a day. My wife, me and our Cockapoo (he had both Captains Chairs).

·
Registered
275 Posts
I do too many 4000km roundtrip roadtrips (several a year from nothern BC to the interior to visit family; this is what I do:

- Change the oil, check the air filter, and check tires (pressure & wear) before you go.
- Take photos of the car @ departure so you have a photo record in case you smack an animal.
- Bring a small jug of oil just in case, have all phone #s for OnStar handy.
- Bring a spare jug of wiper / bug fluid (because we all know how expensive they are @ gas stations compared to retail).
- If you don't have all-season / winter rubber mats... buy some.

That's really it. It's a new vehicle, so you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about bugs and such; just do a good clean / polish with 2 good coats of wax before you go; $1 rinse in a wand car wash will take care of road grime and bugs along the way. It's not winter, so I wouldn't bee worried about rocks. I would worry about a carbra; they've been known to rub.

I've driven at night / during the day / with kids / without... just remember you can adjust the dash illumination @ night; I find that I crank it down a lot more than my previous vehicles @ night.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would suggest leaving the wife and kids at home and going to Las Vegas instead. That should lighten the load ;D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Keith,

Regarding the clearbra question, see this post

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1338.0

I wrote a long (maybe too long!) treatise on my experience with clearbra. Basically, I've been very satisfied with mine. It's now been on for about 14 months and 21,000 miles with no problems.

Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the feedbacks :cheers:

keith,
it would lighten the load on the acadia, but maybe not on my pockets... its a good thing i never liked gambling.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i also wanted to give an update with regards to my summer roadtrip:

total km travelled : 5,500 kms
route taken : from vancouver, canada, traversed the oregon coast (hwy 101) from astoria/megler all the way to newport, oregon. and then i took the I5 all the way to anaheim and seaworld
acadia load : 3 adults, 3 kids, 1 thule atlantis 1800 (load is around 100 lbs)

going back to canada, its I5 all the way to vancouver.

my DIC indicated that my average #s of Liter per 100 Km is 11.5 (20.45MPG). i am extremely impressed considering my trip along the oregon coast was painfully slow, mountainous and i have a thule atlantis 1800 sitting on the rooftop.

one other thing i am extrmely impressed is the astonishing view along the oregon coast. call me a sentimental fool, but the breathtaking views sends shivers to my body and to my soul. Somebody up there must loves us very much to give us things like these to enjoy. :angel:

·
Registered
13 Posts
That sounds like a great trip, we did one similar, just the opposite direction. From Socal up to just south of the Montana/Alberta border. We averaged about 25mpg, but were a lot less weighted and ours is FWD, and I used the cruise judiciously. I put a post of our road trip in the General forum.

What part of BC are you from? My wife is originally from Penticton, and the rest of her family lives in Abbotsford.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep, i know penticton and abbotsford. i actually have some friends who lives in abbotsford. i am from vancouver. cheers. :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.