GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any problems with rotating tires with the pressure monitoring system?

My dad said someone at work had a vehicle with the tire pressure sensors and if you rotate the tires it will throw a code. I don't know what type of vehicle it was but thought I would ask if there is anything special when rotating tires I should be on the lookout for.

Just checking, I have about 3,000 miles on my Acadia and figured I would try & be pro-active. :thumb:

Thx.

LK

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Re: Any problems with rotating tires with the pressure monitoring system?

If you don't reset the computer it will throw a code. Look at your manual and there is a procedure for resetting the system after rotating. It involves pressing a couple buttons on the remote at the same time and then letting pressure out of each tire so that the computer knows where it was put.

·
Registered
497 Posts

The manual is very clear on how to reset. Very easy. Don't worry.

·
Registered
542 Posts

My dealer rotated my tires but neglected to relearn the tire positions. I did not get any indication that anything was wrong until I got a nail in a tire. The DIC said front left was low but it was actually rear left as that is where the tire was rotated to.

·
Registered
151 Posts

I had my tires rotated as well and there as no alert from the DIC. I just had to remember when it said the front left was low it was actually the back left.

Ryan

·
Registered
956 Posts

You can reset the system and the instructions are in the owners manual. It's not hard.

·
Registered
151 Posts

Yea I should have mentioned that I did rest my monitors as well. The dealer wanted to charge me 10 bucks to do it. Easiest 10 bucks I've ever saved.

·
Registered
45 Posts

You got off lucky at $10 - My dealer charged me 26.95 to use a "tire pressure monitor tool" - never asked or quoted this first, or I would have said forget it - I would have done it myself since when I picked it up had I known. When we bought it, the sales guy kept pressing buttons (I do believe we were the first Acadia sold in my area - definitely the first for him) and screwed it up beyond belief, reset everything - beeping every time I started it or moved anywhere. The service guys had no idea what to do (scary but true) at that time so I looked into the manual and found it for them. (Same guys who came running over when I pulled in the service bay the first time to have a look under the hood since they'd never seen one :help:)
After this recent rotation service when I got charged (very cryptic charge layout on the bill so it was difficult to figure out what it was) I will bring it to the attention of the service mgr this week when I book the warranty stuff and ask them to never do this again without my consent or I will just not be bringing my vehicle in for regular service there. I know, I know, they have to make their money too, but not by slapping the hand that feeds them...
Starting to get my spidey sense a-tingling when they do things like this and don't address the warranty issues, I will try to restrain myself from jumping the gun though... :angel:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Charging to use that tool!! I am hoping that my dealership will not charge. They plug it in and press a button and it is done. I would think that this should be included as part of the tire rotation.

·
Registered
681 Posts

I had the tires rotated - they forgot to relearn the tire sensors (no warnings - I noticed when I went to put air in the left front and there was no change to that tire on the moinitor, but the right rear went up by 3- 4 lbs) - brought back at next visit to have the new dash box replaced and they did it (would have done myself but did not want to sit out at the gas station in the freezing temps) - there was no extra charge or a tool needed ??? - should be part of the charge for rotating tires, just remind them to relearn the sensor!

·
Registered
43 Posts

No problems, really simple process, I just did it this past weekend. Just rotate the tires as you normally would, front straight to rear, rear crisscross to front (according to the manual). Turn the key to Accessories or On, then press the lock and unlock button on the remote together for 5 seconds, horn goes off twice indicating car is in learning mode for TPS positions (DIC should also indicate this visually). Learning pattern is driver front, passenger front, passenger rear, driver rear. You got two minutes to get the car to learn the first position and 5 additional minutes to get the other three positions picked up, otherwise you have to start all over. All this is in the manual section 5 I think, but it took me a while to find it so I am laying it out here.

On a related note, I was surprised by the tourque requirement of the lug nuts, 140 ft/lb! My 05 Xterra only called for something like 130 ft/lb, and that's a 4x4 offroader. The Acadia specs really pushes the limit of my torque wrench, it max out at 150 ft/lb. Also, I didn't realize how much travel the Acadia suspension is capable of, my truck jack stands which were perfectly fine for my Xterra, was too short to get all four of Acadia's wheels off the ground so I could rotate the tires. I had the stands extended to the max and the front two tires were still touching the ground! Now I have to find bigger stands...

·
Registered
8 Posts

Had mine rotated twice and both times they forgot to reset. there is a tool that resets the tire location. They didn't charge me for it because they said it was part of the rotation. So this wednesday it will go in for service on a pump and they will rest the sensor

·
Registered
45 Posts

Nice to know I got hosed...well, lesson learned. It isn't millions of dollars, but it's a couple weeks of Tim Hortons coffee for me :binky:
I know how to reset them, and it's a pita, but not difficult. The "tool" is just another money grabber. Maybe I don't know the right people at my dealership :D

·
Registered
428 Posts

If you use Discount Tire or Americas Tire they will rotate and balance your tires for free. They also have the tool for resetting the tpms and will do that for free as well. Dont pay the dealership to do this for you.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Copperhead13 said:
Anyone find any problems or objections to using this for my first tire rotation?

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=75

Looks like a good deal to me. Most of the 'click' torque wrenches run $100+.

I guess that I'm lucky --- I use my air impact that is torque adjustable. Just use the skip pattern and don't go to full torque the first time around.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

What size socket should I use for the Acadia lugs?

Do the lugs also get the same torque when using the spare tire?

Is it ok to leave the torque wrench in the vehicle year round?

·
Registered
101 Posts

"What size socket should I use for the Acadia lugs?"

I use a 6-point 22mm deep...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

Harbor Freight also sells them....$19.99 is the current price. They go on sale frequently, I think I paid like $12.

I also use an impact wrench, however I set the torque for less and still use a torque wrench to make extra sure that it is correct. The last shop I went to for my other trucks tires verified with a torque wrench after they were done.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

mikehw17 said:
...On a related note, I was surprised by the tourque requirement of the lug nuts, 140 ft/lb! My 05 Xterra only called for something like 130 ft/lb, and that's a 4x4 offroader. The Acadia specs really pushes the limit of my torque wrench, it max out at 150 ft/lb. Also, I didn't realize how much travel the Acadia suspension is capable of, my truck jack stands which were perfectly fine for my Xterra, was too short to get all four of Acadia's wheels off the ground so I could rotate the tires. I had the stands extended to the max and the front two tires were still touching the ground! Now I have to find bigger stands...
Both Northern Tool and Harbor Freight sell taller truck/12 ton rated jackstands that have a max height of over 24". They're not just for trucks anymore, and make it easier to roll a T56 under your Bimmer:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts