GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any concerns with the reliability of the "Red Jewel Tintcoat" exterior paint?

Granted I am looking at the "budget-conscious" Traverse, but my wife is HOOKED on the Red Jewel Tintcoat paint.
I recall from very old (I think) threads here that there was some discussion at least about this (and other?) paint chipping off "right down to the primer".
I know at least one "Red Jewel Tintcoat" customer chimed in.
My question is this... are there any concerns out there about a "tintcoat" finish that I should be aware of on the Acadia?
Even if there were, may not apply to the Traverse but just curious... Thx in advance.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Re: Any concerns with the reliability of the "Red Jewel Tintcoat" exterior paint?

The Red Jewel 2008 Acadia replaced my Dark Blue 2001 Montana which replaced my Red 2007 Grand Prix. They were all used for the same thing and experienced the same roads and the same driver. (me)

I have now had the Acadia for just about 18 months and have just over 16,000 miles. The Acadia has ZERO chips on the hood and both the Montana and the Grand Prix were significantly chipped up by this time.

It is my experience that the Red Jewel paint on the Acadia holds up better than average.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Re: Any concerns with the reliability of the "Red Jewel Tintcoat" exterior paint?

And I believe it was the White Diamond tri-coat pain that has some bad chipping issues. I think I read it somewhere :drunk:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Web Raven's going to have some comments on this one. I know she's had chipping problems with the Red Jewel and I've read others complain about it too.

That said, it's an awesome looking color (and I'm not normally a fan of red cars).

Maybe they've improved the formula (noting that GAR has an '08 and Raven has an '07).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the input so far. I found a dark blue metallic traverse that has exactly what we can afford on our budget.
The only problem for my wife is that it is not red jewel tintcoat.
So I am debating pulling the trigger on the dark blue that we both are ok with or order the tintcoat.
Right now I have an autoshow bonus going for me - do not know what will be around incentive wise on the delivery of a factory order.
If I can find newer tintcoat vehicles (ie not 2007's) that still have issues then it takes me off the hook and I buy blue.
I will not be doing this purchase every day so gotta get it right.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

crossover4us said:
Thanks for the input so far. I found a dark blue metallic traverse that has exactly what we can afford on our budget.
The only problem for my wife is that it is not red jewel tintcoat.
So I am debating pulling the trigger on the dark blue that we both are ok with or order the tintcoat.
Right now I have an autoshow bonus going for me - do not know what will be around incentive wise on the delivery of a factory order.
If I can find newer tintcoat vehicles (ie not 2007's) that still have issues then it takes me off the hook and I buy blue.
I will not be doing this purchase every day so gotta get it right.
Well you could always talk to the dealership and see if they will honor the bonus if you order one with the color you want. I don't think there are major issues with Red Jewel although some members have made mention. Along with ordering you can get exactly what you want instead on settling with 1 or 2 options you want and other options you don't want or can't afford.

·
Registered
624 Posts

We have a red jewel Enclave that was built 10/07 and we have had no chipping issues at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Just thought I would give you an update... According to our Chevy dealer, they investigated our question and was told that there was indeed a problem originally with the red jewel tintcoat in that GM was not applying enough coats/amount of "jewel tintcoat" paint (originally thinking that one could apply similar coats/amounts as the metallic paint types). Since they have learned from history, they now charge extra dollars on the invoice for this traverse color so that the factory can apply additional coats/amounts of paint (did not say how much relative to the metallics) to make the product as durable as expected. The conclusion was that apparently the thickness of the paint contributed to the initial durability issues with that color. Seems to make sense.Thanks to all for adding updates to the '08+ model durability. We have added an Acadia to the mix officially competing against the Traverse... exciting times!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts