GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Acadia that I bought in November 2013. Had no problems until March of this year when the anti-theft light came on. When this happened once the car was turned off and the doors either opened/shut and/or the doors were locked/unlocked it could not be restarted. I took it to the GMC dealer and they believed it was the under dash fuse box getting wet ($325) so they replaced it and had it sealed to keep moisture out. Within the next week it happened again. This time they thought it was a computer board and replaced that. Week later same thing happened again. This time they kept it for more than a week and decided it had to be the after-market DVD player that was wired wrong. This was unhooked. After this visit I found out that whatever is happening is causing the 2 amp fuse under the dash marked Power Mode to blow. Once that fuse is replaced the light goes off and the car starts. Even w/ DVD disconnected light comes on and fuse blows. This was happening very randomly maybe once a week or two. However, it has now happened 6 times in the last 4 days. I replaced 3 fuses in 1 day to be able to get it cranked. The service department has taken the dash apart and can not figure out the cause. Anybody out there have any suggestions or no anything about these things????? ???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you have a sunroof in this car? Reason I ask is if the sunroof drains were/are clogged then moisture could have leaked somewhere causing a short which is blowing the fuse. You mentioned moisture in the under dash fuse box, which absent a leak, has me wondering how would moisture get under the dash??

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
Doubtful you'll get an answer. None of those members has been here for ~6 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 Acadia that I bought in November 2013. Had no problems until March of this year when the anti-theft light came on. When this happened once the car was turned off and the doors either opened/shut and/or the doors were locked/unlocked it could not be restarted. I took it to the GMC dealer and they believed it was the under dash fuse box getting wet ($325) so they replaced it and had it sealed to keep moisture out. Within the next week it happened again. This time they thought it was a computer board and replaced that. Week later same thing happened again. This time they kept it for more than a week and decided it had to be the after-market DVD player that was wired wrong. This was unhooked. After this visit I found out that whatever is happening is causing the 2 amp fuse under the dash marked Power Mode to blow. Once that fuse is replaced the light goes off and the car starts. Even w/ DVD disconnected light comes on and fuse blows. This was happening very randomly maybe once a week or two. However, it has now happened 6 times in the last 4 days. I replaced 3 fuses in 1 day to be able to get it cranked. The service department has taken the dash apart and can not figure out the cause. Anybody out there have any suggestions or no anything about these things????? ???
Hi did they figure this out? Same thing is happening with my 2009 Acadia

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got this issue now as well. First time happening this morning. We've got 189,900 on our 2008 SLT-2 and this - along with torque converter shudder - may be that what does us in!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got this issue now as well. First time happening this morning. We've got 189,900 on our 2008 SLT-2 and this - along with torque converter shudder - may be that what does us in!
UPDATE: i left this car with a local GMC dealer for a couple of weeks - had OnStar tow it - b/c they were very backed up.

Check Engine and Immobilizer light were both on when Ignition switch ryON, but not starting/cranking.

Dealer replaced 2 amp PWR CNTL fuse with new, taller mini-fuse, so that fuse can be changed by FEEL!

Dealer said - well, you may want to get a pack of fuses and if it blows again, just swop it out. It's now blowing that fuse about every other time it's driven. Dealer said, absent it blowing while we have it hooked up, I don't even know where to begin diagnosing this issue.

I've also tried using 5-amp andt now 7.5-amp fuses, it's blowing those as well.

Anyone ever solved this issue? Seriously thinking about selling it to Carmax now, as it also has a wicked shudder in the torque converter.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Yikes...
blows fuses, so you put in bigger and bigger fuses.
Thats a good way to increase your repair bill.

Reactions: bgfred

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
UPDATE: i left this car with a local GMC dealer for a couple of weeks -
Dealer replaced 2 amp PWR CNTL fuse with new, taller mini-fuse, so that fuse can be changed by FEEL!
Dealer said - well, you may want to get a pack of fuses and if it blows again, just swop it out. It's now blowing that fuse about every other time it's driven.
That is NOT a good idea.
I would search out another reputable dealer that has techs that can actually use trouble shooting procedures and not give bad and unsafe advice.

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
I've also tried using 5-amp andt now 7.5-amp fuses, it's blowing those as well.
This seems a lot like sticking a penny in the fuse socket of an old home's fuse box. That sure did keep fire departments busy. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
Anyone ever solved this issue?
Has the ignition switch been replaced? I read on a GMC truck forum where that potentially resolved the problem. There was no follow-up posted after about two weeks of successful operation - an unfortunate part of many forums.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Has the ignition switch been replaced? I read on a GMC truck forum where that potentially resolved the problem. There was no follow-up posted after about two weeks of successful operation - an unfortunate part of many forums.
No, the ignition switch was never replaced. But I did have the starter replaced a few months ago and maybe that's what kicked off the issue... Between this and the torque converter shudder, I threw in the towel at 190,117. but this car outran a 2004 Honda Accord by >23k miles - this car was "dispatch as new" longer than that one lasted at all! Paint still looked good (minor nicks aside) and inside held up exceptionally well - leather wrapped steering wheel looked good and felt gloriously worn in. Sigh!! You hate to shoot a good horse.

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
No, the ignition switch was never replaced. But I did have the starter replaced a few months ago and maybe that's what kicked off the issue... Between this and the torque converter shudder, I threw in the towel at 190,117. but this car outran a 2004 Honda Accord by >23k miles - this car was "dispatch as new" longer than that one lasted at all! Paint still looked good (minor nicks aside) and inside held up exceptionally well - leather wrapped steering wheel looked good and felt gloriously worn in. Sigh!! You hate to shoot a good horse.
I have to ask .. . what is the new ride for you and family now?

Such a crazy automotive market place we have to deal with these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts