GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, went to the dealer as planned. Sort of irks me but I'm guessing they couldn't do that day, what they now said is going to have to be done. Asked me to bring it back this coming Wednesday (April 2) and they'll be putting us in a rental for about 5 days. According to the Service Manager named Roger, he told my wife they'll be, to quote her, "Removing the Cams".

Now, I'm not a neophyte when it comes to wrenching on a vehicle. I know what's involved in this and that they are probably going to remove the heads too. I guess my worry is that the engine is being torn apart and it has less than 3000 miles on it. I've done this kind of repair myself, but only on engines with 100K miles or more. I find this bothersome in the extremis.

In actuality how long has it taken others who have had this kind of repair done? Is this rig going to be out of style by the time I get it back? Will my 9 month old be going to college before the truck is repaired??

Any and all valid comments are welcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The problem with my cam was discovered about a month ago. It took 2 weeks for them to get the parts. I then took the Acadia in on March 19th and was told it should be finished by the end of that week. Here I am, two weeks later, and no Acadia. Yeah, they have provided us with a rental car and have called every few days; however, is't that what they should do? I am supposed to get it back today; however, I was told that a week and a half ago. I am going to pursue them giving us an extended warranty. That's not a whole lot to ask, if you stand by your work and the product. We'll see how far I get. By the way, I would like to have a new Acadia, but there is no guarantee the exact same thing wouldn't be wrong with it. I just hope it is in tip top condition when I get it back. I just want my Acadia. :'( Good luck with yours!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Below is a link to other discussions on the same topic. Our Acadia spent 43 days total before repairs were made correctly.
Start calling the GMC customer service line, it's a toll free number listed on the GMC web site. I should have it memorized by now.
That will let GMC know about your dissatifaction, and if you expect something from GMC you'll need to start letting them know in case the dealer doesn't do anything for you.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2150.0

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far, I'm being told it should take about 5 days. I'll believe it when I see it. I don't trust everything a dealer says, especially the service department. That's why I became dangerous with a set of tools. I don't see why I should pay top dollar (when I don't have a warranty, or it's expired), for someone else to do to my vehicle what I can do myself and save thousands.

I really hope it doesn't take longer than they're saying. If so, I'm going to HAVE to call GM Customer Noservice and start the ball rolling. Service dude (Service Manager) at the dealership said the warranty would only cover a rental for 5 days. If this takes longer, I can easily see the warranty taking care of the rental for as long as is required.

Mrvids and Linehandvoltage, I really hope GM has their collective excrement together. I don't have the time or inclination to start anything with GM, but if I have to I will.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you could see the schematics for the timing chain you'd see this repair isn't something you'd want to try at home. The techs at the dealership had to re-set the timing chain three times to get all four cams to sync.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi mrvids. Thanks for all of your input. For some reason, it's nice to know I am not alone in this. Not sure why. :) Anyway, I was thinking about asking for an extended warranty, but I don't know if that makes much sense, since there is a 60 mo./ 100K warranty already. What is your opinion? I see you were successful in getting some funds from GM. I am assuming that doesn't nullify the lemon law? Though I haven't been without a vehicle for as long as you were (I may be before it's all over), I feel as though I am due something for this mess. What do you think? By the way, "I should have my car tomorrow" turned into today...still no Acadia.

·
Registered
614 Posts
At least your dealership calls you, even if it's to tell you the car won't be done today. :help:
We had bought the overall extended warrenty, and as you mentioned it already comes with the 5 year/100,000 mile warrenty. So that's why we asked for a cash payment for the grief they put us through.

I would start calling the 1-800-462-8782 GMC customer service line. They'll need your VIN #, and the dealerships name & address. They'll give you a case #, which you'll need each and every time you call them back. They may give you a different phone number to call along with an agents name and phone extension. Please keep track of that along with what day & time you call, along with who you talk to. They usually take a few days to get background info about your case, they'll be calling the dealership to get their side of what's going on. If they don't call you during the two hour window on the date they promise, call them and ask why they didn't call you back. I ended up with 5 different agents. One agent (#2) never called me and she did close the case without ever talking to me. Agents # 1 & 3 were let go in the middle of my case. Started making headway with agent # 4 but I then got moved up through my contacts in another web site, and ended up with agent # 5 at GMC headquarters. The bottom line is they offered to make one car payment, I let them know they had the car more than one month, and we put a lot of money down so one payment was not sufficient. I never told them an amount I was looking for, I just told them our payments were very low.
Before you call you'll need to make a list for the GMC customer service agent of what you liked about the car, and what you missed by not having it. For example, I let them know we had 24 inches of snow in the month of February, and the rental we had didn't go in bad weather as well as the Acadia. We also missed the roominess of the Acadia, because we had to make two trips to haul Girl Scouts and their cookies to the cookie sales.
We could only take our kid to the soccer games, because we couldn't carpool with the other parents like we usually do. (It's indoor soccer, I don't want you to think we play in the snow although we did start outdoor practice Monday) So tell them all the good things about the Acadia that you missed by having it in the shop. And keep us posted here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay, I am definitely going to call GM. By the way, did you purchase the Major Guard extended warranty? IF you don't mind my asking, what will it cover that the factory warranty doesn't? I am mostly interested in the mileage and the period of time it covers. I have been trying to research the warranty. :confused: All I seem to find is if GM gives us the warranty now, it won't surpass 100K by much at all and will mostly increase the mileage and time period for bumber to bumper coverage. Am I correct in my thinking? I just want to know that what I am asking for is justifiable and is beneficial.

The dealer service dept. has been good about updating me. I can't complain about that. However, my feelings regarding what they tell me have gone down the drain, since I don't believe anything they say about when I will be getting the Acadia back. I can only be led to believe that things are not going right, since they are contunually telling me "tomorrow". Worse things have definitely happened, but it still stinks! :banghead:

·
Registered
614 Posts
linehandvoltage said:
Okay, I am definitely going to call GM. By the way, did you purchase the Major Guard extended warranty? IF you don't mind my asking, what will it cover that the factory warranty doesn't? I am mostly interested in the mileage and the period of time it covers. I have been trying to research the warranty. :confused: All I seem to find is if GM gives us the warranty now, it won't surpass 100K by much at all and will mostly increase the mileage and time period for bumper to bumper coverage. Am I correct in my thinking? I just want to know that what I am asking for is justifiable and is beneficial.
Yes, it's the Major Guard we purchased. It cover things outside the powertrain, such as the wiper motors, electric door locks, etc. Not the brake shoes, tires, wipers, or other things that typically wear out. Ours is good to 92,000 miles, I can't remember the months. GM is going to tell you the drivetrain is already good for 100,000 miles, so I'd ask for something else. Someone on this board bought running boards and the dealer installed them for free in exchange for their Acadia being in the shop. Or something like that, but that was worked out at the dealership level. Maybe you could ask the dealer ask for a bunch of free oil changes for your trouble.
Just an FYI, GMC has not sent me the typical "customer satisfaction survey" postcard to fill out since we got the Acadia back. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great. Again, thanks for your help. It is GREATLY appreciated. By the way, the call from the dealer yesterday involved them having to replace the power steering "something or other". It was leaking, and had been for a while, according to them. The good news...the replacement part was steel as opposed to the original plastic/rubber part. Guess I am glad they found it. Hopefully I'll get it back today. :blob:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been there too!
My dealer gave me a little g6 to zip around in.... ahhh, like driving on the floor... anyway 19 days later they had my Acadia finshed. It still feels like it shifts hard went going up hill.... I think I'll be calling the service department and double check on the issue.

The dealer told my husband that they would take care of one car payment and cover my xm that I didn't get to listen to for the month... I'm waiting for the check....... ::)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I didn't get a G6 to drive around in. I got an 08 Pontiac Torrent. I like out Acadia much better. It's bigger, wider, and just feels better.

As for the repair, I talked to the Service God this time myself. Supposedly, they are replacing the cam sensor. With a twisted look on my face I asked why and the reply was that is what the computer code said was bad. Oh really. I then reminded them of the cam/head issue on the Acadias and I pretty much got a "Huh? We'll go with what the tech says".

I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling. I did talk to the tech that will be working on our hooptie, and he seemed to know about the cam issue, but for obvious reasons doesn't want to commit to anything in that regard, yet.

I'll be giving them a call on Friday to find out the status vis-a-vis the repair on the hooptie. If they say anything other than come and get it, it's done, I'll be on the phone to GM Customer Noservice 1 minute later.

Mrvids, you have that phone number memorized yet?

·
Registered
614 Posts
1-800-462-8782 ...after making contact there I was given a different number to call along with an agents name & extension.
As far as the cam sensors go, they changed mine two weeks before the problem cropped up for the third time, but we'll keep our fingers crossed that the sensor is the issue. Personally I think they just change the sensor stalling for time until the cam/heads combo can be delivered, but I hope I'm wrong. I really do. Sorry you have a Torrent, they're terrible in the snow unless you have the AWD. On the other hand, the back seat moves around so you can adjust it to have more room in the back than in the front seat. And it'll hold more than 41 cases of Girl Scout cookies if you fold all the seats flat. :clap:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They gave me the AWD version however, it has all-season tires on it. Sort of stupid. AWD and equipped with tires that are better in rain than in snow. Go figure!

I can't do Girl Scout cookies anymore. Wifeoid has me on a seefood diet. All I see is food, but not a **** bit of the good stuff reaches my mouth. See what happens? I buy her a new hooptie and she puts me on food restriction. Should have left her in her beat up from the feet up Neon!!!

I honestly can't see the sensor going bad, unless they have had a bad batch of those as well. We'll see. I'm having the wifoid call the stealership today to find out WTF is up with our rig. Hopefully the guru's and voodoo witch doctors will say come and get it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I picked up my Acadia yesterday afternoon. So far....knock on wood, so...I hate to say it :-X .....g o o d. Yikes. Seems to be fine. I received an e-mail from the service manager asking if everything was okay with it this morning. I thought that was a nice gesture. I need to drive it for a couple of weeks before I feel good about the fix and believe in it. ???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought I'd wait a couple of days, just to see what happens. If the sky falls, or the Gremlin that inhabits our Acadia decides to screw with my head some more.

So far, nada!

Got the hooptie back from the stealership on Saturday and no problems have surfaced. Looks like whatever VooDoo they performed, it's holding. I think I'm going to dust off my gargoyles that I have in my basement and put one in the rig, just for good luck.

Now, the wife gets to enjoy her first new car!

Hmmmmm................that might be a good poll. Should I let her drive it? Or should I teach her to drive a stick and give her my Ram Diesel? Just don't show her the results!!! >:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rural

my major problems happened to be with the worst gas mileage EVER, Average 7.2 city ouch, but it just so happens that last week my SOS came on for guess what? cam shaft. After having it for 3 days they found nothing mechancially wrong and they said the light went out on its own so they reset system and its cool. He mentioned that it was actually the second time the check engine light tripped for the cam shaft and he was surprised that I did not nitice the first time. So now I have the beast back, they did nothing to it for 3 days and its still guzzling gas like a 73 Impala. Are you also getting crappy gas mileage, because I am wondering if the problems are related?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well one thing my Acadia "Samantha" (the witch), being a 2007 was not trained in at haunting school was the 2008 bad camshaft issue (her degree in possession was pretty complete other wise, I believe she graduated cum laude) :clap:
She can teach most 2008's well on sunroof/rack water leaks, bad lumbar & wobbly seat tracks, complete and total electrical failure (not sure if due to the leaks or to her possession in conjunction with the departed spirit of a Lucas Electronics engineer :confused:
Good luck with the cam issue, would push for Lemon Law replacement but scared of what spirits are being accomadated in the 2009's :puke:

·
Registered
10 Posts
RuralNVGMC said:
They gave me the AWD version however, it has all-season tires on it. Sort of stupid. AWD and equipped with tires that are better in rain than in snow. Go figure!

I can't do Girl Scout cookies anymore. Wifeoid has me on a seefood diet. All I see is food, but not a **** bit of the good stuff reaches my mouth. See what happens? I buy her a new hooptie and she puts me on food restriction. Should have left her in her beat up from the feet up Neon!!!

I honestly can't see the sensor going bad, unless they have had a bad batch of those as well. We'll see. I'm having the wifoid call the stealership today to find out WTF is up with our rig. Hopefully the guru's and voodoo witch doctors will say come and get it!
...Buddy, that's how my trouble all started - with the sensor going 'bad'. In actuality, it was correct, and i was in for the whole cam replace job. Just got mine back Monday after 5 days in the shop. Had to wait 2 weeks for parts, and then the dealer forgot to order a gasket!!! :angryfire: But so far, so good...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts