GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we went to the dealership Saturday and bought an 08 Acadia. Love the car, but once I got home and looked over the numbers, I think they pulled one over on us. :mad: Here's the deal, if anyone cares to read:

After agreeing an a purchase price and trade amount, we sent the info to finance. The sales guys comes back with a big sheet of numbers, ALL at 5.9% (listed at top), from 48-72 months, and 4 different options of warranties (including no extended warranty). We decided on the 60 months with NO warranty, and although I made a comment that the number looked a little high, we agreed to that payment, assuming that it was a correct calculation for NO warranty at 5.9% for 60 months on the already-agreed-upon amount to be financed.

So my husband gets back in the finance room, and they tell him for the SAME payment, they can do 5.7% and get us this "great" extra warranty of 36 month/45K miles (which we will never use). So my husband agrees to that, assuming we got something extra at the same payment.

Well, as it turns out, the 5.9% at 60 months figure that they showed us on the sheet wasn't right. That original sheet with our "choices" was already calculated WITH the warranty at 5.7%, and the payment at 5.9%, like the sheet said, would have been about $10 less a month.

Does that make ANY sense? I'm confused myself, and I'm sure that's what they're hoping for. Sorry, its hard to explain. Basically they pulled one over on us, and I'm really ticked off. I've called the finance guy, who won't return my call, and now the sales guy won't either. I know this isn't a finance board, but I was hoping for a little advice, or at least something to calm me down! I know it's only $10 a month, but it still makes me mad. :angryfire:

Thanks!

·
Registered
956 Posts
It's $600.00 is what it is. I would go back and ask to speak to the general manager of the dealership. Be calm and polite when you state your case and see what he has to say.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You will also get a rating sheet from GM in a few weeks asking you to rate the dealer and your experience buying the Acadia. Be sure to express your displeasure with the dealer on this rating form and perhaps even follow up the form with a call to GM customer service. I have been told the dealers really prize high ratings. I am not sure exactly how this rating affects the dealer relationship with GM, but it might make an impact. If you talk to the general manager about this be sure to let him know that you do not plan on giving his dealership a very good rating.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are you from Denver? Sounds like the same thing that happened to me when I bought my Grand Am. They told us the monthly and we said OK, then we went and talked to the slime ball finance guy and he said for only 5 dollars a month more we could get an extended warranty. It was 5 bucks so I said yes and I never buy the warranty. This happened at 10 pm on a Saturday. When we got home we realized we got screwed. Basically what happened is the salesperson told us the payment would be 350 and when we got the the finance guy he said 355 with a warranty. When we got home we looked the paperwork over again and realized our payment would have been 330 without the warranty. Needless to say we went back on Monday and my wife wouldn't leave the finance managers office until he rewrote the contract, he kept saying but I already submitted the paperwork. Then my wife saw the paper work still on his desk and asked him, if it is already submitted why is it still on your desk. Believe me you don't want to see my wife pissed off.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I would return the vehicle to the dealership.
File a complaint with GM so they know what their dealerships are doing, and then I would goto another dealership and purchase from them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for posting! ColoradoGM, no, I'm not from Colorado, but apparently my finance guy and your finance guy went to the same class on how to pull one over on someone! That's exactly what happened to us - we were never told the "real" monthly payment (without a warranty) to begin with, so of course we didn't know the real cost of the warranty.

Anyway...I finally got in touch with the finance guy (he never did return my call), I pretty much called him out on the whole deal, and although he never admitted any mistake, he said he'd gladly cancel the extended warranty. We finally agreed that we would still "buy" the warranty but he would extend it for an extra year at the same cost we already paid. So I'm happy now, but the guy actually had the nerve to say I was trying to "manipulate the situation"! :eek: If that means paying the right amount and not for something I didn't want, then yeah, I guess I am!

Again, thanks for all your responses!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Car dealers care very much about their CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index), and your plan to hit them hard on it would be a very good thing to share with the sales manager there. The manufacters offer CSI-based incentives to the dealers in the form of financial rewards and even new/hot selling vehicle allocations. Many customers also ask to see copies of a dealer's CSI, so they're not going to want to see many negatives on there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
NEVER NEGOTIATE ON MONTHLY PAYMENTS!

This is an axiom I've read all over Edmunds and similar car buying websites. It's far too easy for the dealer to manipulate the numbers and cause situations like the one listed here.

Unfortunately, I've learned this the hard way too. :-\

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wonder how guys who do this to people can sleep at night. The reason they wanted you to buy an "after-market" extended warranty is because they get huge (60-75%) commissions on them. If you really want to buy an extended warranty, buy the GM Protection Plan--you can bet they won't be pushing that one because they don't make nearly as much in commissions on it. As far as I'm concerned, what they did was just as unethical as stealing--they lied to you about the amount of the monthly payments, just so they could keep more money for themselves by selling you something you didn't want or need. I sure hope there's a special place in you-know-where for them! >:D

·
Registered
234 Posts
To all - Beware the 4-blocker a salesman put in front you, they are a sales tactic to rip more money out of you! Keep each negotiation separate:
- sale price of new vehicle
- value of trade-in (if applicable)
- dealer add-ons

And bring your own calculator and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Remember you are always in power of the situation, if you feel uncomfortable just walk...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SEL said:
To all - Beware the 4-blocker a salesman put in front you, they are a sales tactic to rip more money out of you! Keep each negotiation separate:
- sale price of new vehicle
- value of trade-in (if applicable)
- dealer add-ons

And bring your own calculator and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Remember you are always in power of the situation, if you feel uncomfortable just walk...
I agree with everything you said. The only thing we forgot to do was bring the financial calculator. We HAD agreed on a sales price (including fees), amount for trade in, and interest rate - they just gave us bogus calculations, which to me is pretty low, since its out-right deception.

Anyway, I think we came out OK (maybe a little ahead), but what a pain in the butt! Live and learn, I guess! :-\

·
Registered
812 Posts
After all the "numbers" are laid out, walking into the finance office is a whole lot different. I agree with everything that was posted here -- keep everything seperate ( like what im doing now, currently negotiating for the trade-in value ) and watch out for deceptive offers!!! just be firm on your numbers and pray everything would come close to the figures that you want...

Steve-o said:
I wonder how guys who do this to people can sleep at night. The reason they wanted you to buy an "after-market" extended warranty is because they get huge (60-75%) commissions on them. If you really want to buy an extended warranty, buy the GM Protection Plan--you can bet they won't be pushing that one because they don't make nearly as much in commissions on it. As far as I'm concerned, what they did was just as unethical as stealing--they lied to you about the amount of the monthly payments, just so they could keep more money for themselves by selling you something you didn't want or need. I sure hope there's a special place in you-know-where for them! >:D
-- They are not called "sharks" for nothing.... >:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
stiffi said:
NEVER NEGOTIATE ON MONTHLY PAYMENTS!

This is an axiom I've read all over Edmunds and similar car buying websites. It's far too easy for the dealer to manipulate the numbers and cause situations like the one listed here.

Unfortunately, I've learned this the hard way too. :-\
I didn't negotiate on monthly payments I negotiated on the price of the car. I just screwed up when I got to the finance office, again it was very late and I think they knew we were trying to get out of there. I hate when dealers try to negotiate on monthly payment. What happened was I negotiated the price and then asked what the monthly payment was, this was my mistake because I could have easily calculated the monthly myself. So I absolutely agree with you that you should never negotiate on monthly payment.

·
Registered
370 Posts
So sorry to hear that. It's hard to get excited over a new vehicle when someone pulls a fast one on you. I hope you are able to resolve. Best of luck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts