GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to back our Acadia out of the garage yesterday afternoon and when I started it there was this unholy screeching noise...much worse than squealing belts. Immediately shut off it off and went to look under the hood (not that anything is really visible there, but...I then noticed a large puddle on the floor under the front bumper on the driver's side. It's definitely not motor oil, coolant, or brake fluid - didn't have the right color or odor for those. It really didn't look redish like transmission fluid, but that's what I'm guessing it is. Or maybe hydraulic fluid, if that's used anywhere? It has a oily feel to it, but I would say more clear than any color.

Anyway, it looks like our up-to-now reliable and near-problem-free Acadia will have to be towed to the local dealer. That is, after I do a little searching around the forum to see if anyone has had a similar problem...

L.S.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Check all your fluids, and kep us posted.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wasn't there an issue with power steering pumps? That would be my guess, given the squeeling sound.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zman,

Good catch...I forgot about that...definitely explains the squeal and clear fluid. I'll search on that topic, too.

Towing is covered by roadside assistance and is scheduled for early tomorrow morning. Once the dealership gets a look at it, I'll post an update.

L.S.

·
Registered
423 Posts
the only thing that would be possible sweal in the trans would be the pump or input shaft, both unlikely. dude, that sucks. weird that it happened while you had it just sitting, i wonder if a hose clamp is loose?

·
Registered
101 Posts
My guess would be power steering fluid, also. Brake fluid is also clear, but I cant' imagine any brake lines near the front of the Acadia.

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
When changing the oil on my wife's 2008 Acadia, I noticed it was leaking under engine/transmission. Not even enough to drip in garage. Took to dealer & the transaxle seals & transmission seal was replaced. No problems since. This all happened @ around 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gold stars to zman, big bear craig, and wfyehl...the power steering pump was the problem. Everything was covered by the warranty, even the tow truck. My faith in the General is restored...

L.S.

·
Registered
624 Posts
LS, glad you got it fixed. Here is a link to a thread on the Enclave forum about this issue from a poster who is a service tech at a GM dealership. I have checked underneath both our lambdas to make sure our power steering hoses are inserted/crimped properly thanks to his pictures.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=4151.msg55732#msg55732

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ccaats,

That was a great find...one of the most informative posts I've read. Too bad it didn't come back in my "Lambda Super Search" results.

Still, it's a great relief that it wasn't the transmission!

L.S.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
ccaats said:
LS, glad you got it fixed. Here is a link to a thread on the Enclave forum about this issue from a poster who is a service tech at a GM dealership. I have checked underneath both our lambdas to make sure our power steering hoses are inserted/crimped properly thanks to his pictures.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=4151.msg55732#msg55732
After seeing those pics; I'll be underneath mine after baseball tonight

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the service write-up:

"INSPECTED VEHICLE FOR CUSTOMERS CONCERN AND VERIFIED FLUID LOSS. PERFORMED COMPLETE VISUAL INSPECTION IN ORDER TO DETERMINE CAUSE OF LEAK ETC. UPON VISUAL INSPECTION FOUND CAUSE OF CONCERN DUE TO LEAKING AND INTERNALLY MALFUNCTIONING POWER STEERING COOLER. REPLACED COOLER AND ADJUSTED LEVEL OF POWER STEERING FLUID TO MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE AND VERIFIED REPAIR."

I picked up the Acadia at night, after the Service Department was closed. The steering is still louder than I remember - sort of a humming noise that is very noticable with the radio off. Now I'm trying to found out if that will diminish over time or if it needs to go back to the shop. Any thoughts out there?

L.S.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I've seen a TSB somewhere about purging air from the power steering system.  They may need to do this after disconnecting/reconnecting the hoses.

#PIT4537C: Whine Or Moan Noise From The Power Steering - keywords air bleeding fluid gear hose pinion pump rack turn turninh wheel - (Feb 24, 2009)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info, GeoHawk. I'll be back in for my 20k service in about 5 weeks, so I'll have them take of this at the same time. I'll just turn up the radio until then... 8)

L.S.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GeoHawk said:
I've seen a TSB somewhere about purging air from the power steering system. They may need to do this after disconnecting/reconnecting the hoses.

#PIT4537C: Whine Or Moan Noise From The Power Steering - keywords air bleeding fluid gear hose pinion pump rack turn turninh wheel - (Feb 24, 2009)
Is it possible that excessive air could cause some sort of cavitation; from my own experiences anytime a line is disconnected from something that is supposed to be "airless" there should be some kind of bleed accomplished

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
jsimms said:
GeoHawk said:
I've seen a TSB somewhere about purging air from the power steering system. They may need to do this after disconnecting/reconnecting the hoses.

Is it possible that excessive air could cause some sort of cavitation; from my own experiences anytime a line is disconnected from something that is supposed to be "airless" there should be some kind of bleed accomplished

A little tardy replying here, but that is my understanding too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts