GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
detnick said:
Since I opened this subject/topic and started this thread, I had no idea it would take on the proportions it has. In the process I learned a lot about perceptions. Admittedly, I approached this situation about Invoices and Advertising as something that the dealerships and salespeople manipulated to inflate their profits, foisting this additional monetary burden on the unsuspecting public ;).
But, after reading some of the responses and communicating with other members by regular e-mail, I discovered that I may have been somewhat mistaken . . . at least in regard to this particular salesperson/dealership. Given everything that has happened, I feel obligated to get this thing right . . . especially since other members took the time (and to some degree invested their "reputation" by providing a reference ;) :D). The person(s) who provided me with the reference actually gave me the name of a different salesperson, but it was the same dealership. Granted, their experience was obviously better than my first encounter, otherwise they would not have recommended any particular dealership or salesperson. I'm relieved that they felt my pain and provided me some support. :comfort: (Especially Loach, Zman and Blue[/color])

So, let me inform you that after the saleperson ("J" the Internet Manager) and his manager assurred me that the Advertising Fees would, in fact, be reflected on the official GM invoice when the vehicle is delivered, I began to feel better. I actually received a courtesy call from the dealership asking if there was some way we could come to an accommodation. After a relatively short but frank conversation, a new set of figures were discussed and ultimately mutually agreed upon. In fact, the figures are exactly as I had hoped (and expected). To date, we are actually going to be paying about $300.00 less than before. So, we are talking about perhaps as much as $300.00 under the official invoice price on this vehicle, which I am told does include the advertising costs. :thumb:
Some would say that is too much. Some would say that is a fair amount to pay for the vehicle in question. Well, the jury is still out on that . . . :p

I made it known to the dealership that fair consideration should be given to the trade-in at delivery. We shall see what happens . . . :-\

Remember, this whole this is predicated on the TOTAL deal, not just this part of the process.

:soapbox:
My plan is to post the progress of this Order, Build, Delivery, Vehicle Prep, Trade-In and Closing process as it happens. My intention is to be objective (Yup, I actually said the "objective" word :eek:). I am hoping that the dealership will continue to be true to it's word and be fair about this deal. If there is a conflict or issue that I may be incorrect about (or the flipside - the dealership or salesperson is wrong), I need your input. As a result of this little experiment, let's hope that other members who are on "the fence" will decide that they may get a good deal afterall - especially during this downturn in the ecomony as it affects the domestic automobile industry.

I should note that during this process I learned, as another poster pointed out elsewhere in the forum, that aggressive dealership personnel who know their profession actually take the time to read these forums. They learn about many things on these pages, including the moods of perspective buyers, current and former customers. I'm sure they can gauge if there is a problem or issue that needs to be addressed or researched - to do otherwise would spell disaster for their business. I learned that AcadiaForum.net [/color] is one internet location that dealers do pay attention to (believe me, I can speak from personal experience). ;) Your comments are being monitored - your comments make an impact. 8)

So, Congrats folks! :clap2: You have gotten a lot of attention (in a good way). ;D

If you would like the full name of the dealership or the saleperson with whom I am dealing in the Chicagoland area, feel free to drop me a line and I will respond with that information ASAP. :D (That is, if you don't already know who it is. ;D)
As promised, here is the newest wrinkle in this saga:
"J", my faithful Internet Manager and Salesperson, responded to an inquiry I e-mailed to him about my order. He immediately responded upon his return to work (he was off yesterday) by calling me on my cellular telephone (he called me before his actual starting time). He informed me that my order was placed on August 14th and GM accepted it on August 18th. He provided my Order Number (four alpha, two numeric) and confirmed that the vehicle is listed as "Sold". He was unable to determine the actual build date, but stated that he would provide me the Production Status Code for the vehicle by next week. :)
I did have one other concern that I forgot to communicate to him: Another of our members posted that they placed their order either yesterday or the day before (August 20th or 21th) and were told to expect delivery by October 1st. I was wondering why that information may have been available to one salesperson and not another? For some reason my salesperson keeps telling me that I won't see my Acadia for at least 8 to 10 weeks! ??? :(

Anyway, I am glad that there is communication between us, which helps to relieve the anxiety of waiting. ;) :beer:
(This is the type of service that I was looking for. So far, so good.) :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
detnick said:
I was wondering why that information may have been available to one salesperson and not another? For some reason my salesperson keeps telling me that I won't see my Acadia for at least 8 to 10 weeks! ??? :(
Maybe the information isn't available to either of them yet. By under-promising (8-10 weeks for delivery), your sales rep stands a better chance of over-delivering (maybe 6-8 weeks) and keeping a happy customer (you!). The other Acadia Forum member might be getting a song and dance come October 1st.

Just a thought...

L.S.
8)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Good luck with your order. I also believe that your salesperson may be speaking from previous ordering experiences with new models. Other sales people may have had different experience previously or be talking out the :moon: with nothing to back it. Would hate to promise earlier and have it arrive late.
If you are trading in, get the appraisal from the dealer NOW. Hold them to that figure when you take delivery, as long as there is not significant deprication or wear and tear placed on the tradein.
You don't want to get blind sided by a lower trade value when the delivery comes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bonk,

I'm glad you brought that up. I did, in fact, speak to one of the managers and "J" about just that topic. They both indicated that they would be willing to abide by the appraisal on the trade-in from the time of the inspection to the time the Acadia is delivered. :) And, as common sense would dictate, there should be no major difference in the numbers provided there is no significant damage, wear or depreciation at the time of delivery. I have a figure in mind that is fair and hope that we can come to an accommodation. ;) We shall see . . .

The funny thing is, I thought when I first asked that same question about two weeks ago, I could almost swear I heard that saleman say that I should just wait until I actually take delivery. Perhaps that was the first salesman at the other dealerhship I'm thinking about . . . :crazy:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like you guys are right. "J" called me back and related that they have no official indication of when the order will be built and shipped, let alone delivered. He suggested that perhaps the salesperson for the other member may have just been speculating.

Either way, it makes since that they would prefer to go "over" rather than "under" when trying to determine when the customer will actually receive his vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Detnick, I don't know if this is helpful or not but...

I talked to my dealer today about my "build date" which I had been told was Monday, August 18th. He said that it is actually a "build week" because no one wanted to buy cars that were listed as being built on a Monday or a Friday. He knows my Acadia is being built this week but couldn't give me a specific day. He will call me on Friday with the VIN number.

Also, he said it takes between 10-12 days to get to the dealership here in VA. So, I should hopefully have my car in 2 more weeks!

Oh, and my order was originially an 08, cancelled with the strike, and then accepted as an 09 order in late July/early August.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
newgmcgirl,

Congrats! Soon you will be the proud owner of an Acadia. Hopefully it will be sooner than you think. ;D
I'm glad to hear that you were able to place the order early on to avoid the "mad rush" to get a new model year. Your wait will hopefully be worth it all (and the anxiety). ;)

I guess GM is doing a little "slight of hand" in not providing an actual build date. I'm certain that the assembly workers at the Lansing Plant would do the same professional job on a Monday or Friday as they would on, say . . . Wednesday. Right? :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
detnick said:
I guess GM is doing a little "slight of hand" in not providing an actual build date. I'm certain that the assembly workers at the Lansing Plant would do the same professional job on a Monday or Friday as they would on, say . . . Wednesday. Right? :thumbsup:
Don't you mean :tard: Monday and :cheers: :beer: Friday!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. I should have been more precise. :beer:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'll add more date confusion.........
I was told that mine would be started on a Friday :cheers:, but was actually started on Tuesday :blob: of that week and delivered on Monday :thumb: of the next week.

Much to my suprise, I found no vomit nor smelled any liquor on the back seat. Just that white powder on the floor of the driver's side ;D. I guess I got lucky.

One question...Is a Japanese hang over any worse than that of UAW member ???

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
newgmcgirl said:
Detnick, I don't know if this is helpful or not but...

I talked to my dealer today about my "build date" which I had been told was Monday, August 18th. He said that it is actually a "build week" because no one wanted to buy cars that were listed as being built on a Monday or a Friday. He knows my Acadia is being built this week but couldn't give me a specific day. He will call me on Friday with the VIN number.

Also, he said it takes between 10-12 days to get to the dealership here in VA. So, I should hopefully have my car in 2 more weeks!

Oh, and my order was originally an 08, canceled with the strike, and then accepted as an 09 order in late July/early August.
That lines up with ours, order entered by dealer 8-7, now at 3000, expected build week of 8-25. I hope it doesn't take 10 days+ to get here. Internet Manager is hoping to have it on the lot first week of September.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Liquid Silver said:
detnick said:
I was wondering why that information may have been available to one salesperson and not another? For some reason my salesperson keeps telling me that I won't see my Acadia for at least 8 to 10 weeks! ??? :(
Maybe the information isn't available to either of them yet. By under-promising (8-10 weeks for delivery), your sales rep stands a better chance of over-delivering (maybe 6-8 weeks) and keeping a happy customer (you!). The other Acadia Forum member might be getting a song and dance come October 1st.

Just a thought...

L.S.
8)
I think I may be the other forum member that just placed our order on Tuesday and was told delivery would be Oct 1st I told them as long as it was no later than Oct 7th that would be fine. I was told if there were any issues they would arrange for something to help me out in our situation as we leave for holidays on teh 10th for 3 weeks. I have no doubt they are correct on delivery date my moms car was bang on the date they told her as was my dads and my uncles all were GM employee factory orders. So hopefully they get my date correct also.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If things had gone as planned when I placed my original order with the first GMC dealership (back in June) I would have had mine by now. :mad: (Just think . . . I would be posting pics of my Acadia instead of complaining about when it's going to be built). :banghead: :comfort:

Oh, well. At least I got a real education on how NOT to place an order for a new car. ;)

:cheers: Here's to you guys who are getting your Acadias BEFORE you actually expect them.

Now, that's a reason to celebrate!!! :woot: :clap:

You guys in Canada just have better luck. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
detnick said:
I don't know if that is necessarily true, I seem to remember them paying a much higher price for thier Acadias then we do in the States.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
bonk1313 said:
detnick said:
I don't know if that is necessarily true, I seem to remember them paying a much higher price for thier Acadias then we do in the States.
This is from another thread
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/in...sg43822;sesc=7dfacefe055d37610cbe1c848902e387

Mr.H said:
Before I go further, I need to say this to ALL the vehicle makers..."WHY DO WE IN CANADA PAY SO MUCH MORE FOR THE SAME VEHICLES ???"? I mean really...even the ones we build in our own country cost us more than what you nice folks to the south pay, and with our dollar at par or even above the USD at times, this makes even less sense! Anyway, here we go...

Purchase Date: March 01 2008
Car Dealership: Murray Pontiac Buick GMC, Abbotsford, BC
Model Year: 2008
Color:Medium Brown Metallic with Ebony leather interior
Trim Level: SLT-1
+ 19" wheels
Invoice: $52,200 CDN
Incentives received: a discount for paying cash
Price Paid: $44,600 + taxes

This should give potential buyers in Canada a sense of what the Acadia is selling for right now. I got a very good deal as just 2-3 weeks earlier GM was not giving any discounts on the Acadia...you paid the sticker price just like you still will now for the less appealing Saturn version.
52,200.00 CAD = 49,842.21 USD [/color]

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
From that same thread.

DSNY FN said:
Well we just ordered our Midnight Blue 09 SLE with XM and trailering package from Brianfinch in London and paid 34500.00 for it.

Final out the door price with tax and the added 2.9% financing was 45999.00 CDN for a payment of about 550 a month.
The GM Site list base for an 09 SLE as $31,685.00, the Brianfinch website said $36,495.00.
36,495.00 CAD = 34,869.97 USD

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow !!! I see what you mean, Bonk. :eek:

Guess I won't be buying any cars in Canada for a while. ;D

·
Registered
912 Posts
bonk1313 said:
From that same thread.

DSNY FN said:
Well we just ordered our Midnight Blue 09 SLE with XM and trailering package from Brianfinch in London and paid 34500.00 for it.

Final out the door price with tax and the added 2.9% financing was 45999.00 CDN for a payment of about 550 a month.
The GM Site list base for an 09 SLE as $31,685.00, the Brianfinch website said $36,495.00.
36,495.00 CAD = 34,869.97 USD
We certainly do pay a premium for our vehicles up here but I am not complaining it is the truck I wanted at a price I was fine with paying my wife on the otherhand thinks it is silly that we now have a new truck coming that we owe more on than we have left owing on our Mortgage LOL.

Just remember we also pay 13% sales tax on almost everything in Ontario plus our delivery charge of 1250 compared to the 700 or so in the US. Mind you we also got 2.9% financing through GMAC.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
DSNY FN said:
thinks it is silly that we now have a new truck coming that we owe more on than we have left owing on our Mortgage LOL.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I wish that was my case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not even close

·
Registered
912 Posts
bonk1313 said:
DSNY FN said:
thinks it is silly that we now have a new truck coming that we owe more on than we have left owing on our Mortgage LOL.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I wish that was my case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not even close
LOL ya the joys of having a job at the bank where your mortgage is held you get a great interest rate and it comes straight off my pay and we make larger payments that we need to so it has come down way fast. We only owe about 32K on our house.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts