GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 AWD Acadia is only a week old and has 665 miles on it. I drove it back today from a family vacation and sometimes I was driving 80+ mph on the highway straight aways. I tried like heck to stay reasonable on the mph and braking, etc. for the first 500 miles, but got a bit of a heavy foot driving home today. With the new crossover drive-train (last two vehicles were Yukon's) I simply did not realize I was going that fast driving the Acadia. The rpm's did not run that high at all and besides the high mph driving did not beat on the Acadia. Is the break-in period overblown or should I try to be a bit more careful over the next couple of weeks?

Thanks a bunch.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I don't see it as being that harmful... unless you can tell us what the governed top speed is... or if it is!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I don't see it as being that harmful... unless you can tell us what the governed top speed is... or if it is!
A couple of times I saw it hit slightly under 5000 rpm's when I was passing someone going 50 mph in the highspeed lane :angryfire:. Other than that a good majority of the time when I was driving at higher speeds the rpm's where surprising low; about 2000-3000 rpm tops!

·
Registered
624 Posts
As soon as my wife's AWD Enclave hit 501 miles, I took it up to the interstate that night and made a "bat out of hell" run of about ten miles at speeds approaching 100 mph. I just couldn't STAND IT after having driven it at 55 mph for 500 miles. My wife thought I was silly, but I just HAD to know how she ran....and she ran smooth and powerful. We are now at 14,000 + miles and have had no issues, so I think you are fine! :thumb:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
174kph. The DIC says "speed electronically limited". I'll take a photo for you. There are still some revs left; I'd image it's governed at that due to the speed rating of the OEM tires.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
turfster26 said:
A couple of times I saw it hit slightly under 5000 rpm's when I was passing someone going 50 mph in the highspeed lane :angryfire:. Other than that a good majority of the time when I was driving at higher speeds the rpm's where surprising low; about 2000-3000 rpm tops!
I usually see anywhere from 1500-2500 rpms during normal driving. MPG drops a decent amount, if you stay about 2200 or so. So I have noticed, but I am still averaging 16.5-17.5 MPG per fill up for my normal routine of around town driving.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
toasteroven said:
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
174kph. The DIC says "speed electronically limited". I'll take a photo for you. There are still some revs left; I'd image it's governed at that due to the speed rating of the OEM tires.
Thanks TO. Ran a calculator on this and that is 108 MPH. My last government vehicle was a 2005 Chevy Impala w/ 3800 Series 2 motor that was governed at 124 (displayed) or 199 KPH due to tires.

No doubt someone will develop an interface to work around this feature for those that have to be there yesterday! :)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
ccaats said:
As soon as my wife's AWD Enclave hit 501 miles, I took it up to the interstate that night and made a "bat out of hell" run of about ten miles at speeds approaching 100 mph. I just couldn't STAND IT after having driven it at 55 mph for 500 miles. My wife thought I was silly, but I just HAD to know how she ran....and she ran smooth and powerful. We are now at 14,000 + miles and have had no issues, so I think you are fine! :thumb:
If we had his-n-hers Lamdas, I would try this (with hers like you did in case something blew up ;)) also. She has already acknowledged my Durango has more power than hers. :banana:

·
Registered
428 Posts
The Acadia is limited to 108 mph. When you get there the DIC tells you speed is electronically limited to 108. It has a lot more to go if it wasnt goverened. I would like to see what the 6 speed tranny would let it really do.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The quiet ride and smooth ride are why we bought one. You do loose all the noise ques because it is soooo quiet. All of my new vechiles i have driven from new to trade in have been driven like i would normally drive even during the break in period and none of them use any more or less oil at 100,000 miles. and i topped ours out on the speedo when it was a month old.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
So what kind of MPG do you get @ 107 MPH (looks like this is what the DIC said in the video)? :p

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Holy-Moly, 108mph, pretty good in 6th gear. Were you going down hill? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
turfster26 - To answer your original post. You are fine!!! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was never even told there was a break in period. My MBZ, Titan, or Bimmer didn't have break-in periods. I was easy on it for the first 100 miles but I hit 85-90 mph within 200 miles on the Acadia. Might be too soon to tell but So far we've got 1400 miles on it and everything is okay... I hope I didn't cause any long term damage... :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
108? really? i swear i was doing 110 in my 07 w/o hitting the govern... maybe my memory is mistaken though...

·
Registered
614 Posts
I watched the video and forgot it was in KPH, not MPH. At first glance I thought "200 MPH in an Acadia! I gotta try that!!!"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts