GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Just joined yesterday. Lurked about to see what the big issues are on these ACADIAS. Appears the 09s have sorted out the trans issues as well as the sunroof leaks. Good feedback observed when the issues have been posted here.

We presently own an 06 SATURN VUE with the ROCKET 3.5 liter, 250 horse HONDA drivetrain (5 speed automatic). This vehicle has given us no issues (currently has 41K) other than a Body Control Module failure at 9,500. Dealer support has been excellent (have had all service performed there). Since we occasionally pull a vehicle (open trailer) and the VUE is rated for 3,500 lbs., we are seriously considering parting with this and stepping into the ACADIA. I DO like the SATURN Outlook but was surprised to find that even an 09 Outlook is only rated for pulling 4,500 lbs vs. the Traverse, ACADIA and ENCLAVEs 5,200 lbs. The Saturn dealer could not offer an explanation on this.

Anyhoo, will do a search on those folks who occasionally tow 5,000 lbs (my open trailer weighs 1,800 lbs and has electric brakes on both axles). The only addition I see I would need to add to the ACADIA is a brake controller.

Ive looked at the Traverse and that rear side window style (shared with the Enclave) just doesnt cut it with me. Do like the ACADIA and Outlook.

Regards,

Jim

Looks like a great site for sharing info.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Jim,

If your trailer only weighs 1800 lbs you will have no problem towing with the 4500 lbs rated models. If you said you wanted to tow 4500 pounds I would tell you not to buy an Acadia or one of its siblings for that much weight. Just make sure if you buy an Acadia that you get the factory tow package. It will be cheaper and better in the long run.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Big Bear Craig,

Thanks for responding. Typically, I am pulling right around 5,000 lbs. (1,800 lbs for the empty trailer and 3,000 + lbs. for the car). The Acadia, Traverse and Enclave are rated for 5,200 lbs. I realize the weight of passengers and baggage will have to be considered in the overall towability. I was just a little puzzled by the Outlooks 700 lbs. rating being less.

I look forward to hearing from those out here who have pulled this kind of weight.

Jim

·
Registered
956 Posts
Jim,

If your trailer pulling is mostly flat to hilly terrain I think you should be fine, but if there are a lot of mountains and high altitudes I would want something with a V-8. Pulling any trailer do not expect great mileage from the Acadia.

Jim,

I misread your post about the weight you will be pulling. I think you should look into another vehicle if you are going to pull 5000 lbs. The Acadia would really be struggling and unless you are just going a very short distance and it it flat I would not do it.

Craig

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'll echo what Big Bear Craig said- my trailer is a 20' dovetail car hauler & is at least as heavy as yours if not a few hundred pounds more. I use my 1998 5.9L Durango to tow it and it is a struggle for that setup even with a light car (3,000 pound RX-7). The Durango has a tow rating of 7,300 pounds with the 5.9L motor. I'd not even think of trying to tow my combo with our Acadia- we got the tow package for the HD cooling.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Big Bear and Blue for responding. I guess the key word here is occasional. Since I dont own one of these Acadias...yet... when you do pull are you physically taking it out of the 6 speed mode and placing the selector into a manual 5th gear max mode? Or is there a button you push which controls the tranny when you are pulling that comes with the trailer towing package?

The whole idea in my looking at these vehicles was to downsize...economy of scale. We own an 06 Saturn Vue and a 94 Ford pickup. Thinking we could go down to 1 vehicle that has a lot of creature comforts (wife loves em) to satisfy daily driving, tripping and occasional towing. We are both retired

I have an old Vette that I pull to the dragstrip occasionally as well as take to various car events. Im thinking using common sense when you do pull and not matting the go pedal on these vehicles will allow you to accomplish those occasional trips without beating em up. When you tow you certainly are not on any cannonball cross country run.

My current tow vehicle is a 94 Ford F150, 4 wheel drive 1/2 ton with the 5.0, 302 cubic inch V8. Not a lot of power but that truck truly is overengineered by Ford. I typically get 12 to 13 mpg @ 60-65 mph pulling the Vette. It is a manual 5 speed truck. My point is the truck is a 1/2 ton but handles those occasional pulls OK.

Having said this have you or anyone else on this forum actually pulled with this weight with the Acadia equipped with the factory tow package?

Again, thank you for your input on this. This is a deal breaker should feedback be overwhelmingly against this.

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would advise you to keep the vehicles you currently have. If it's working why change it.
Would the Acadia tow it, most likely, but I'm willing to bet that if you were to load up your trailer, tools and parts (for drag racing), and actually get it weighed, you'd be above the 6000# mark for your trailer. I don't know too many people that don't bring that stuff to shows/races.

And like you said. What is occasional? Once a year.
How far do you travel? 100miles? And over what sort of terrain.
<<

Either way, I think I'd keep what you've got.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jb_lambda said:
I would advise you to keep the vehicles you currently have. If it's working why change it.
Would the Acadia tow it, most likely, but I'm willing to bet that if you were to load up your trailer, tools and parts (for drag racing), and actually get it weighed, you'd be above the 6000# mark for your trailer. I don't know too many people that don't bring that stuff to shows/races.

And like you said. What is occasional? Once a year.
How far do you travel? 100miles? And over what sort of terrain.
<<

Either way, I think I'd keep what you've got.
jb_lambda

Appreciate your input on this.

My current setup IS working with 2 vehicles. The reason for changing this mode was to downsize to 1 vehicle that would do the job of 2. We are both retired and thought through the idea of living with 1 vehicle. In daily use we would not lose too much in miles per gallon over the VUE (19-27) vs. the Acadia 17-24). Fixed costs for insurance, gas and upkeep on the truck would disappear.

More specific on my drag racing ventures. The vehicle is a stock Vette on street tires that I participate a couple of times a year at nostalgia racing and pure stock drag racing events. As far as loading up with tools and equipment, the trailer would just haul the car. Any tools I bring along with people, cooler and overnight luggage would all go into the Acadia. Again, Im not talking compressors and other heavy equipment for these events.

The drag race events we travel to would range from 50-75 miles on relatively flat terrain to 165-170 miles.

We lean to the car-like ride of these Acadias (test drove 1 today) and all that room as well as creature comforts. Sure, we could step into a pickup truck and accomplish the same thing, but the best pickup out there is still a truck from a ride and height standpoiint. Just thinking that this Acadia would still fill our needs without putting the vehicle on the ragged edge, allowing my wife to comfortably handle as well.

Look forward to any others here who have had experience pulling a car hauler and car.

Thanks again jb_lambda!

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should post here that I was able to do a search on towing and found a wealth of posts that give me some reasonable support that this vehicle can handle my loads/trips.

Appreciate any recent experiences you folks would share on your trailering.

Thanks again!

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.