GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at the Acadia and am very impressed with the product so far. I'm debating whether to push for the AWD or go with with FWD. My concern is living in north central IL, we get our share of snow, some quite heavy. I have to leave for work early in the morning and the highways, etc. are not necessarily cleared at that time.
I would appreciate any input from forum members who have either vehicle and what their impressions are with their vehicle's capability in bad weather.
I am new to the forum, by the way. This forum looks like it could be quite helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Sue

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Sue, welcome, we are in lower Michigan, and opted for FWD. Consulted all kinds of people and many (not all), felt we would be fine in snow with FWD, as we opt to invest in good snow tires. We did that with our Chrysler and I have yet to be stuck in snow with our Blizzak's. Just an opinion. Others seem to think they can't live without AWD. Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
248 Posts
it's a personal decision. here in PA I like the added security of AWD, especially when I go up to the hunting cabin for a weekend. I want to able to go where I want, when I want.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Sue, and welcome.

In general I agree wth Bill, it's all a matter of personal preference. But I think a lot of people also go from their experiences. I've had good FWD vehicles before, but got totally turned onto AWD a number of years ago. We tend to get a lot of snow, packed snow, ice, and sleet around here, and I simply like the way AWD handles the changing conditions.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have AWD on my Acadia, but wife went with FWD on the Outlook.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I, too, live in North Central Illinois. I've had two AWD vehicles (Vues) over these past four years and didn't feel that it really benefited me THAT much more than the FWD vehicles I'd owned previously. To me, it just isn't worth the extra expense and decreased gas mileage of an AWD vehicle. Plus, the Acadia has traction control. That's got to count for something.

In short, I agree with the others... it's a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I live in California and wanted AWD because I wanted the Acadia fully equipped. Also, there is the chance that I would take a drive to the snow and AWD would generally work without chains. However, I bought the FWD because thats all they had that was fully loaded at the time. I thought the AWD wasn't worth the extra cost, especially with 0% financing and all the other discounts available during the presidential sale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts