GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting out feelers to see if somehow the forum would be interested in getting a subscription to http://www.alldatadiy.com/products/diy/index2.html. I think it would be useful to actually read what the TSB's are instead of GeoHawk and others having to run down TSB's and posting them here. Any thoughts, concerns?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have an individual annual subscription for both of my GM cars. I don't think the fee is unreasonable. It's like another magazine subscription.

I just got a new offer from them yesterday. I'll post the details tonight when I get home.

I would like to know how alldatadiy.com compares to the GM Services Manuals. Is it the same information but in electronic form?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sounds like a great idea- but to make it accessible to registered members that underwrote the cost. Can we buy an annual subscription that will allow this to take place? If you can look into their terms of service for the annual cost, we can put out feelers to see if anyone would be willing to chip in a few dollars each year. I have no idea if they allow this situation or if this is covered- we are in effect a business w/ 8K or so possible mechanics/users. :)

One other possibility would be to have the stuff in a restricted board- I think SMF software will allow admin to create such a board, so the members that paid for the subscription could make use of it & keep the freeloaders out.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read their terms and conditions and I think we are out of luck, if we wanted to post data here then we would to have to ask for permission and I don't think you want me representing the forum on business matters. I am willing to do the legwork to make this possibly work, but I think I will have to punt this idea to the mods or admin. One other alternative may be to become an affiliate of all data but that would require the sight to have a link to all data and then the site would receive a kickback (I mean a commission) on whomever purchased information. Basically I think this is out of my hands as far as having a group access to all data.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Links are generally not that big of a deal- I've put a few on my website, and the one other place that required an "exchange" posted mine.

If the subscription is like software, seems like we could get a business version for multiple users, and if we could spread out the cost to say 10-20 members, maybe it wouldn't be too bad. A service manual is $150 for one year only.

I'll PM this thread to admin so he can put in his .02.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Attached are the two emails I received this week with subscription specials. The instructions imply that they are only available to existing subscribers. But, the 1yr has a discount code that might be usable to others.

The "email us" link uses this email address - [email protected]. A quick email to the contact in the emails, Paul A. Marshall, about the "8K or so possible mechanics/users" may solicit a positive response.

I'd sign-up for deal if it covered the 2008 Outlook FWD. My current subscription is for "2008 Saturn Truck Outlook FWD V6-3.6L." To cover all the Outlooks, looks like we would need to cover three years for both AWD and FWD, for a total of six vehicles. (Commentary - Sadly, that would do it for this model). Then six more for Acadia, six for Enclave, and two for Traverse. Each year would add six more vehicles. Give or take depending on GM.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks Tim.

I've linked this thread to admin, so we'll see what he says.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
While I love the idea of having access to alldata information for our users, it appears that posting anything here would be in direct violation of their TOS. Any way you slice it, sharing access to their data that is designed to be paid for by each consumer sort of undercuts their business model. I'll email them and see if they have a solution that will work for forum members...

·
Registered
63 Posts
admin said:
While I love the idea of having access to alldata information for our users, it appears that posting anything here would be in direct violation of their TOS. Any way you slice it, sharing access to their data that is designed to be paid for by each consumer sort of undercuts their business model. I'll email them and see if they have a solution that will work for forum members...
Yeah, its a big no-no to share alldata stuff on a forum like this.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Ok, so I emailed them asking if there was either some way to do group memberships or even a possible discount available to forum members, since they may be getting quite a few new accounts all at once. Apparently, there isn't. The reply I got back from them was really based totally their affiliate deal, which just pays a $6 commission to the forum owner when users click on their banner and join.

It's not looking like this can go anywhere. Sorry guys. They do offer a compelling service. I'd say if you're really interested, go ahead and just sign up for yourself. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
admin said:
Ok, so I emailed them asking if there was either some way to do group memberships or even a possible discount available to forum members, since they may be getting quite a few new accounts all at once. Apparently, there isn't. The reply I got back from them was really based totally their affiliate deal, which just pays a $6 commission to the forum owner when users click on their banner and join.

It's not looking like this can go anywhere. Sorry guys. They do offer a compelling service. I'd say if you're really interested, go ahead and just sign up for yourself. Any other suggestions?
MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.............one of the reasons why our country is in the financial state its in :hijacked: :soapbox:

:banghead: :banghead:

Well I guess it's get my own account

·
Super Moderator
22,420 Posts
Doesn't anyone ever use usa.gov? The NTSB has all kinds of information on TSBs and Recall notices. Plus, IT'S FREE!!!
Think of it as your share of the TARP funds working for you. Browse around and you find all sorts of info that people want to charge you big bucks to obtain.
:)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
speleos said:
Doesn't anyone ever use usa.gov? The NTSB has all kinds of information on TSBs and Recall notices. Plus, IT'S FREE!!!
Think of it as your share of the TARP funds working for you. Browse around and you find all sorts of info that people want to charge you big bucks to obtain.
:)
I looked through some of that info; I prefer GMVIS and all data. I would say it's a great place to start

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm planning on buying the service manual at some point- when I last checked, they had already sold out of the first run of them.

Thanks for looking into it admin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts