GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a wedding in Charlottesville, VA this past weekend and while looking for a rental car noticed that Alamo and National have Acadia's for rent. I called up the local rental agent (Baltimore Washington International) desk directly to see what the chances were of actually getting an Acadia to rent. He said they were not good. His quote was "we have 4 of 2500" and that the rest should be coming in very soon. I assume he means that Alamo will have 2500 total Acadia's.

When I got to the desk I asked the clerk to confirm that there was not an Acadia available. He left for over 5 minutes and came back and said there was not one available. I downgraded to a full size, a Pontiac Grand Am. Terrible car.

Anyway, I stepped into the garage to get my car and the first car I see was a Carbon Metallic Acadia. Looked like an SLT-1. Not enough time to go back inside and try to get it.

When I returned my car on Sunday, there was a Red Jewel in the same spot.

Kind of annoyed that I was not able to take an extended test drive of an Acadia. I am waffling between a Tahoe/Yukon and the Acadia, and it would of been a great test with the back country roads I took down to Charlottesville. Beautiful area.

Maybe I will visit my sister in Baltimore and try to rent one again and drive around for a weekend.

·
Registered
683 Posts
This is terrible news...If I have understood other articles correctly this usually means poor resale value for cars that are known to be associated with rental agencies. I thought GM was getting out of rental car outfits.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My kids and my parents saw one in the Winchester Mystery House parking lot. It was a rental. I couldn't believe it. My kids went and talked to the woman walking up to it and she told them that it was a great car and she was going to look into buying one!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rentals already?? Why wouldn't they try to get these things on dealer lots first! Rent the Outlooks.

As imgntht pointed out, I thought GM was cutting back on rentals. Seems like they should try to meet customer demand first until they get sufficient inventory in the channel. IMO.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think rental agencies have just about every car made available to rent now. I really don't think it is an indicator of the resale value. Unless it's a Sunbird, or some other bottom rung, standard issue POJ.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah I'm by no means an expert on the subject. Your probably right. I read it somewhere over at http://www.cheersandgears.com. IN fact I think there were numerous talks about it. Seems they felt the Impala and Malibu took a beating in resale value and consumer perception for being part of the Enterprise fleet.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
imgntht said:
Yeah I'm by no means an expert on the subject. Your probably right. I read it somewhere over at http://www.cheersandgears.com. IN fact I think there were numerous talks about it. Seems they felt the Impala and Malibu took a beating in resale value and consumer perception for being part of the Enterprise fleet.
I think there's a big difference between being available as a specialty vehicle in a rental fleet and being the bread and butter car of the rental fleet. The Malibu suffered because it was the primary rental car and it was just average in every way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Say it isn't so. Ugh! Isn't that part of the residual problem on the Pacificas? I was told that it was large in part due to being a rental car. On the positive side, I leased my Acadia. So in 3 yrs I get to go through the process of deciding and buying all over again. And for the time being, I LOVE my Acadia.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I cannot image the Acadia being the bread and butter of a rental fleet, most renters do not need a 7 + passenger vehicle. Now this would be a great rent for families on vacation, not wanting to rent a Expedition of Suburban or >:D minivan >:D and pay extremely high rates. I see this filling the role of a mini van option for large families and getting better gas mileage than the Suburban/Expedition option.

·
Registered
154 Posts
loach said:
I think there's a big difference between being available as a specialty vehicle in a rental fleet and being the bread and butter car of the rental fleet. The Malibu suffered because it was the primary rental car and it was just average in every way.
I agree. It's a matter of the percentage going into fleets. Doesn't have to be zero. They probably want some in rental fleets to pile on some hard miles quickly, and catch problems that way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This would be an issue if GM owned the rental car agency, but they don’t.

Alamo Rent A Car is a car rental agency. They are based in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but have branches across the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, parts of Africa, Europe, and Australia as well as some locations on various Caribbean islands. The chain was started in 1974 with several locations in the state of Florida. It was liked by many because of its unlimited mileage program, meaning that people could travel any distance with the car they rented for no extra charge. In the United States, Alamo rents mostly General Motors automobiles.

Alamo is owned by Vanguard Car Rental USA Inc., which also owns National Car Rental.

·
Registered
681 Posts
GM used to own an interest in National Rental Car and Avis but I think they sold their interest in both back in the late 1990's. I do not think any of the big 3 have interest in a renatal car company anymore. I am not sure about Ford and Hertz.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts