GMC Acadia Forum banner

Have you experienced this issue?

• Total voters
281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
... I'm afraid to drive it long distances.....
Yep, no A/C really makes a car dangerous to drive!! :sosad: Someone should have told me that when I drove all over the Sahara in a Toyota Landcruiser with a broken A/C unit. (Some of our vehicles didn't even have A/C.)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Our 2014 A/C went Kapoot 4 weeks ago, with 38,297 miles. The writer told me that they shot in 2.1lbs of Freon with capacity of 3lbs. Charged me $144.00 incl. tax. I have gone back 2 times to check for any leaks and none.
The writer said the rear evaporator was checked too. ???

Did it take 2-1/2 years for all the Freon to disappear? We will see when time goes by. :confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've never know Freon to spontaneously disappear without cause. When my '14 Denali lost its A/C, they said there was a pinhole in a weld joint in the rear evaporator. They replaced it under warranty, and I never had another problem with it while I still owned it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Failed AC, common issue it seems

You want assistance on a 2010--- with 110,xxx miles on it....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Hmmmmmmmmmm. yes. AC systems are closed and should never leak. If there is a leak in the evaporator, there has either been damage to cause it (happened right after the water pump seal was replaced) or a defect in manufacturing. in either case, covering it (in full or at least partially) would be the right thing to do.

I worked in air conditioning for over 15 years and this situation is always backed up with full coverage or substantial assistance by the manufacturer or the installer depending on the situation. Closed systems with no moving parts, such as an evaporator coil, don't just develop leaks unless there is a defect.

Because the system is on a car shouldn't negate fixing defects or negligence. Whether GMC will step up and make it right is yet to be seen. In the mean time, this known problem continues to tarnish the GMC Acadia reputation with anyone who talks to owners with this issue or mechanics that grin and shake their head the moment someone says they have an AC issue with an Acadia; they know it too well.

Again, we will see if GMC makes this right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
AC Leak

Our 2014 A/C went Kapoot 4 weeks ago, with 38,297 miles. The writer told me that they shot in 2.1lbs of Freon with capacity of 3lbs. Charged me $144.00 incl. tax. I have gone back 2 times to check for any leaks and none.
The writer said the rear evaporator was checked too. ???

Did it take 2-1/2 years for all the Freon to disappear? We will see when time goes by. :confused:
Maybe, but it shouldn't. AC systems are closed so Freon is not "used" or "burned"; it can only be lost by leakage. The same amount of Freon should remain in the system forever until something breaks the system (damage or defect) allowing the Freon to escape.

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
People should still consider getting the car's A/C system checked on a regular basis. Even the best of seals can let fluids seep out over time. Do folks neglect having their home A/C systems checked, too? :shrug:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i also have a 2014. mine has been repair 3 times. i was told there is a fitting that is brass and apparently can corrode and cause a leak in the system. It was under warranty first 2 times and i had to pay for the third repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add me to the list of ac issues. My 2015 first had ac issues in 2016 when the front ac went out. Then last week we heard the hissing and the rear air went out immediately. The next day the front ac went out. The dealer stated they wouldn't have any loaners available for a couple days as they were being inundated with calls about ac issues. GMC refused to help me, stated that no ac doesn't make a car undrivable. Tell that to kids in the back of the car when it's 106 degrees out. Dropped off car Friday when dealer had a loaner. They diagnosed my car and the rear evaporator is out and all the freon is leaking. Also the recirculate button, even though it seemed to work from the inside, was stuck on fresh air. My car has 53000 miles so I had to use my extended warranty. They will cover all but $100 of the $1900 repair. But lo and behold the dealer found a bunch of other problems that wouldn't be covered by either warranty so my repair bill is over $400. Ridiculous for a 3 year old vehicle to have so many problems. Anyone have recommendations for a reliable vehicle with 3 rows?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We purchased our 2011 Acadia in March. This week we had three things happen, A/C stopped blowing cold. But I’m an HVAC Tech so I checked it, low pressure system is reading High pressure meaning clogged lines. At the same time Dome lights and left side electrical went out. Locks and windows on drivers side won’t work. Anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on this. I tried reading through the thread, but haven't seen this problem yet.

Started two years ago wrestling with the AC. Gas going somewhere, but can't find a leak. Finally, last January, the AC compressor went kablooey, and I sprang for the system replacement. Compressor, orifice, condenser, hoses, etc. all replaced. Had to replace the water pump due to a leaking seal, which my mechanic did at the same time. AC was working, but recently seemed to have performance issues. Identified a small leak in the low pressure Schrader valve, which was replaced yesterday. So the system is completely charged.

Had a compressor electrical fault that also developed about 2 years ago. Compressor would cycle randomly, not keep running. Pulling and pushing on the wiring harness going to the underhood fuse block would get the compressor running until I hit the next pot hole, speed bump, or other random bump. Finally identify Pin 19 on the Underhood Fuse Block X3 connector that was bad.

Today, with the system recharged, pin fixed, 95 degree outside temperature, driving home from work, they system is blowing cool air. So I put it on recirc. OK so far. Then I turned on the rear AC. In about 30 seconds the recirc turned off, and then about 30 seconds after that, the compressor quit running. After a minute or so, with the system blowing warm air, I turned off the rear and recirc, and in about 30 seconds or so, the compressor came back on. I repeated this process several times during the commute, with the same result.

Its a 2011, SL, with 122,000 miles, so out of warranty.

What can be causing this issue?

Brad

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can add me to the list of A/C hissing, blowing warm air through the rear vents and barely cool air through the front vents.

Finally called the dealer today, made an appointment for Thursday. Told them about my research on this forum and the service manager stated they had another Acadia just in today for the same thing.

My question is the service manager mentioned that they could possibly seal off the rear lines and evaporator to minimize the cost. After sealing off the lines, he said they would recharge the system which would fix the "cool" air from the front vents. Has anyone else heard of this type of solution? Obviously its a work around to help minimize a $1300+ repair bill and needs to be seriously weighed on a cost/benefit analysis, but I have not read anything on this forum that suggests others have chosen this repair option, let alone been proposed this.

I'll find out more when I take the car in on Thursday, but wanted to get some opinions now.

Thanks!
I have a 2012 Acadia Denali Just over 70,000 miles on it and the A/C doesn't work and in the winter I didn't have heat sometimes. I have gotten the same suggestion from a repairman. Not sure if it is the right thing to do but it would save me about $600+. My extended warranty won't cover the repair because it is a leak and they don't cover the hoses. So much for the extended warranty. I had the same trouble a couple years ago and the repair man just said I was low on freon and filled it up and it worked fine for a couple years. Now they said it would cost $1270 plus tax to repair the leaks and that should fix both the A/C problems and the heat problems too. How can it fix both? Anyway, they said they could seal off the back A/C and it would cost about half the price. Sounds ok but wonder if it would then void out my extended warranty? Can't believe so many people have this same problem and GM won't just recall and fix the problem. Thinking I should just get rid of the Acadia and find some other SUV that gets better fuel economy and without so many known issues. I love my Acadia but not if it is going to cost so much to repair it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm replying to my own post because I FINALLY found the cure for my issue. Reminder: System fully charged, hot day, rear A/C on full, system on recirc. The issue went away for a while, and we couldn't explain why. in August 2019, AC performance had degraded again, so my mechanic evacuated and recharged. Once again with the system recharged fully, when in recirc mode and rear A/C on, compressor wouldn't keep running. A mechanic at a local GM dealer was consulted by my normal mechanic. He ran the diagnostic procedure from the service manual and determined the system was either overcharged, or the thermal expansion valve was plugged/inoperative. I researched further and discovered, much to the surprise of my mechanic, the shop owner, AND the GM Parts representative, that there is an A/C Refrigerant filter in the high pressure line where it enters the thermal expansion valve for the rear AC evaporator. This filter had become clogged, preventing refrigerant from flowing properly through the TXV.

Apparently, the rear evaporator is normally full of liquid. When the rear AC is switched on, that refrigerant boils off. Since refrigerant cannot flow well through the clogged filter, the amount of refrigerant in the rest of the system looks like an overfilled condition, causing the compressor to shut off on high discharge pressure.

This filter is normally installed in the replacement tube bundle going to the rear A/C, but there is no need to replace the entire bundle. the system can be evacuated, the filter removed, the high pressure line flushed, and then a new filter (price varies, but approximately $45 for the GM branded part) installed. Now the system works like new with the proper refrigerant fill.

There is still a very small leak somewhere we cannot find, so the system will probably need to be filled every 18-24 months or so. Putting a filter replacement on the list for anytime the system has to be evacuated and refilled.

Brad

281 - 295 of 295 Posts
About this Discussion
294 Replies
113 Participants
speleos
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing