GMC Acadia Forum banner

Have you experienced this issue?

• Total voters
261 - 280 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just started having an AC issues with my 2007 Acadia. Started last week when the AC seemed to 'lag' and not quite keep up in mid 70's. Teh I noticed the snowflake light blink and shut of. In a few minutes it came back on and teh Ac went back to normal but was never able to blow as cold as before. Now it's just blowing warm air, but the light stays on. Suspecting a freon leak. Into the shop Monday, too late to do anything today. Of course, hottest day of teh year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 GMC Acadia and my a/c is blinking 3 times and turning off. I recharged the system over the weekend and it made no difference. I don't hear any leaking/hissing/odd noises coming from the car, so I don't think that it is leaking anything. I saw some posts on other forums saying the ambient air sensor may be malfunctioning since the manual says it blinks 3 times when the air outside is too cold to run the a/c.

Has anyone tried replacing the sensor? How much did it cost? How long did it take? I don't have a lot of spare money at the moment, so trying some inexpensive quick fixes is about my only option right now, but I wanted to see if anything worked for other people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The light blinking means there's an error. A leak might not be "heard". It could be outside the cabin. The lights blinks for many reasons, usually, too low of freon. If you had to refill the system, it usually means a leak somewhere. I found my leak in the evaporator inside the dash. But that was after crawling under the truck with a black light, to find the dye to help find leaks. You have two evaporators, and lines that run the length of the truck.
Save yourself the money if it isn't under warranty, go to autozone and get the light. If you refilled your system yourself, hook up a gauge set to the high and low and see what you're sitting at. Should be around 32lbs on the low side.

Just curious, when you refilled, the truck was running, right? AC full blast while filing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
AC goes out every 6 months. It is costing me thousands of dollars to take it in for those low classed trashy mouth breather mechanics to try to fix it. Once they told me it was fixed and I left the dealership and it was out within 100 yard. They argued with me when I immediately called them. I took it back and they worked on it another hour and a half. Then it went out again in 6 months. NEVER AGAIN!!! No American made cars for me. Only Japanese cars from now on. AC goes out every 6 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hottest weather of the summer, my '11 SLT started hissing and cycling compressor rapidly. Our 5 hour roadtrip with almost no A/C was pretty terrible. Seems like very probable low refrigerant do to a leak. Headed to the dealer to exercise the extended warranty tomorrow...makes me nervous when a system springs a leak, I don't have a lot of confidence that there won't be further issues down the line. It's been 20 years since I've had any issues with any A/C systems, this is like a throwback to the 80's... not a good sign GM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
3rd Failure of A/C - Not Good, GM! We bought CPO and barely have 55000 mi...bought with 22000. We get the hissing sounds all the time and have had it out of service for days at a time. Two prior attempts at a fix seems like the dealer is either lazy or incompetent.

If you're seeing this, GM, know that these issues are only driving us further and further away from buying another GM vehicle, and telling everyone we know to do the same.

For those that don't believe there's an issue with the AC system, ours is a 2011, so it's the newer ones as much as the older ones.
Hopefully GM corporate can come up with a real fix, and make sure quality shows through the recent, not just new vehicles. We never had this much trouble with our Oldsmobiles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just paid 2900.00 on my 2012 GMC Acadia air conditioning. I had to have the ac hoses removed because the power steering rub a hole in the ac hoses. I then had to have the compressor replace. This 2012 GMC Acadia is junk. Only has 40,000 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Bummer about your A/C problem. Did someone work on the car prior to this and forget to properly orient the hoses?

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Speleos said:
Did someone work on the car prior to this and forget to properly orient the hoses?
exactly what came to mind.

I recall someone on here having had work done-
he posted pics- and then I posted a pic of mine-

it was clear from the pics- that the brace that held the hose in place had been put on wrong.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
rgreen1678 said:
I just paid 2900.00 on my 2012 GMC Acadia air conditioning. I had to have the ac hoses removed because the power steering rub a hole in the ac hoses. I then had to have the compressor replace. This 2012 GMC Acadia is junk. Only has 40,000 miles on it.
I see that you have only replied in three threads, and they are all IDENTICAL answers. Have you had many other problems with your 2012 Acadia or does a single failure constitute 'JUNK' to you?

We are a community of people who either love, hate, or love & hate our Acadias, any help or insight would be appreciated by all members.

I have had many problems with my Acadia, but I have had many problems with every brand that I've owned, can't say that the Acadia has been any worse then expected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DD said:
After ordering our Acadia and waiting 7 weeks for delivery, we finally picked it up on Friday. It was a cooler mid-morning for southern California (64 degrees), so we didn't notice the A/C was only blowing in air from outside. But as it warmed up later in the afternoon, we realized the A/C had no cold air. Here is the problem: when set on Auto on the coldest setting (60), it just blows in air from outside (ie, the fan). And, when we press the A/C button, it just blinks three times and then shuts off.

We took it back on Saturday and sat around for two hours only to find that the dealer have given us the vehicle with no freon in it. (Nice, aren't they supposed to check everything before delivery?). So, they "replaced and recharged" the freon, and also went through everything else on the new vehicle checklist (which they should have done already). This seemed to fix the problem, but only for a day.

While driving on Sunday, the same problem came back. When set on 60 degrees auto, it just blows in the air from outside ad when we press the cold A/C button, it blinks three times and nothing more. We took it back to the dealer this morning, got a loaner rental, and are waiting to hear back from them. They said this is the only Acadia that has had any problems with the A/C. I'll post an update when I know more.
I am also having the issue with my car air conditioning unit, when i drive a mile after that , ac will not blow cool air. Can anyone tell me what's the reason behind this , i haven't take it to the dealer till now. Any recommendations ?

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Jhonson Smith said:
I am also having the issue with my car air conditioning unit, when i drive a mile after that , ac will not blow cool air. Can anyone tell me what's the reason behind this , i haven't take it to the dealer till now. Any recommendations ?
You just answered your own question. Did you read any of the 14 pages associated with this thread?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently, my 2012 Acadia has become another statistic of air-conditioning issues. This vehicle is just shy of 80k miles but we have only owned it for just over 3.5 years. Recently, we started hearing a hissing noise coming from under the dash. Turns out the rear evaporator is leaking and needs to be replaced per the dealer's service dept. This comes on the heels of having a previous a/c repair. Driving back from south Texas last summer, the a/c stopped cooling so my family suffered through a hot 5 hour drive to get to the dealer to find out the an a/c hose developed a leak and needed to be replaced. Add to this, we paid to replace the driver's door wire harness that had a short preventing the driver window from rolling down. This vehicle has also been through one water pump replacement, an oil leak, an XM radio module going bad, etc. Best of all, there has been a consistent odor from the a/c when first turned on on warm days that started somewhere around 20k miles. The dealer used fungicide to clean the evaporator and drain without success. The dealer also set the fan to continue to blow after the vehicle is shut off but that did not solve the issue. They then offered to coat the evaporator with some type of foam but that would have to be at my expense. I am kicking myself for not getting an extended warranty and I can't wait for the next shoe to drop with this vehicle. On the upside, if the a/c doesn't work, we can't smell that nauseating odor. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just stumbled across here because our 2013 Acadia A/C is broken.

Dealer says front evaporator core is leaking. They are saying the part is $324 and the labor is $1094.

I'm really not feeling like fixing this since from what I have read we will have problems sooner rather than later.

I'm not happy with the Acadia.

·
Registered
10 Posts
GMC Customer Service said:
Hi Bruce,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us, and we are happy to hear you love your Acadia. I sincerely apologize for any frustration your A/C concerns have caused, and understand how inconvenient this must be for you. Please be advised, due to the age of your vehicle, out of pocket expenses are to be expected. However, I am more than happy to contact your dealership on your behalf to see what options are available at this time.

If this interests you please provide your VIN, preferred dealership and your current vehicle mileage. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

We look forward to your response,

Brandon J.
GMC Customer Care
Hello Brandon,

Third time trying to respond - hopefully this will go through.

We would definitely like your assistance correcting the AC leak on our 2010 GMC Acadia SLT. VIN is 1GKLVMED9AJ177051 and the mileage is 110134. We originally purchased the vehicle at Moore Cadillac and in was serviced at Ultimate GMC in Fredericksburg, VA for the water pump seal recall. The AC leak occurred immediately after the service. Ultimate GMC in Fredericksburg is the closest dealership to us.

Please assist us with correcting the AC leak as soon as possible.

Best regards,

I have been trying to communicate with GMC Customer Care but they have apparently exceeded their message limit. Would anyone know of another way to contact them?

Best regards,

Bruce

BTW - the hissing noise we had was leaking freon gas coming from the evaporator area. you can smell it as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The hiss we experienced was leaking freon gas into the passenger compartment. you can smell it as well. The leak is in the evaporator up under the dash. This is a know problem that many threads have GMC Customer Care taking care of. Our leak occurred immediately after the dealership repaired the water pump seal recall.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
You want assistance on a 2010--- with 110,xxx miles on it....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Acadia that the air conditioner went out. The mechanic replaced the air compressor and condensor and flushed the hoses to remove metal shavings from the air compressor. $1700, it doesn't work. Now, they are saying they will need to replace the evaporators and will use a cut off kit to remove the read air conditioner to save $500 on the additional $1900 repair.

I spent significant money on a timing chain at 90k miles.

I am really tired of the issues with this Acadia at 105k miles and I'm afraid to drive it long distances....which is why I bought the car. It looks like I will be in the market for a new car in the next year.

261 - 280 of 295 Posts
About this Discussion
294 Replies
113 Participants
speleos
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing