GMC Acadia Forum banner

Your assesment of the Air Conditioning System in Acadia.

• Perfect to store ice-cream

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is cold & chilly in here

• I am a Cool customer

• I am not ok but I won't complain

• Open the darn windows

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This poll is being conducted in order to gauge user's interest in AC system performance. Please post your replies as soon as you get a chance.
A request to those who would rather open the windows - Kindly write two sentences about the issue and we will try to figure out a solution.

To all the participants in this poll - Thanks very much for your feedback. The distribution of results is very close to our expectations. Thanks also for your qualitattive assesment as well as feedback. It is very useful for improvements at our end.

To all the future visitors to this poll - please cast your vote as well as post any feedback whenever you get a chance.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I live in a hot climate (90F+ 6 months/year) and feel like the AC just doesn't keep up. I know there is a service bulletin about leaking freon that I haven't had checked yet but it just doesn't feel very cool and rear doesn't seem to do much other than blow. I wouldn't say it's warm but it's definitely not COLD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello jseck2, When did you buy your vehicle? The leaking freon bulletin is very real and that could just be the cause of your problem. Do you have an automatic control or manual system? Try running the vehicle in recirculation, full blower, full cold, compressor on and cycle off-on the Aux button so that the rear is also at the same conditions. The vehicle should cool down very quickly.

If it doesn't I would suggest to go to the dealer and make sure that you have the right freon amount.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I think the air cools down fast. I live in Houston with ebony leather so that's a good thing! The only thing I have noticed is once and awhile it will blow warm air out of one of the vents. It doesn't bother me, it is just one of those things that makes you go hmmm. It seems to be a much better system than the Volvo had and it has a larger space to cool. I do have to make sure no one calls me before it cools all the way down or else I lose the air!! It doesn't seem to get ice cold, but nothing does right now.

REALLY LOVE AUTO START AND COOL!!!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Mine will not get cold unless it is set in the coldest position. Once the vehicle cools off and I turn the temp control up just slightly the air becomes too warm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About Mckcab issue - the sudden gust of warm air - when it happens, do you have the AC in automatic or manual full cold? It can happen in automatic, I assume but you should not feel it in manual full cold.

About big bear craig's - did you try in recirculation mode to turn the temperature control? if the air becomes almost as warm in recirculation also, then there could be another issue otherwise it may just be related to the outside temperature and your driving route. Which state are you in? Do you do a lot of highway driving or more of city driving?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have tried it in the recirculation mode and it does get cold. The problem is when the car gets too cold inside and the thermostat is set to a slightly warmer position the air conditioner acts like the compressor has been turned off. The air coming from the vents turns warm.
I live in California, but we have not had any hot weather yet. The outside temps have been in the 70's or low 80's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello big bear craig, Thanks for your reply. So, as soon as you move by one detent, air starts to seem warm?
Looks like you have a manual system. If I find out a test that can be done to figure something more out, I will post it here.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Haven't had any really hot weather here on Long Island, NY so the AC seems to be functioning well. As I said though, it's hard to tell without any real hot weather.

·
Registered
395 Posts
AcadiaService said:
Hello jseck2, When did you buy your vehicle? The leaking freon bulletin is very real and that could just be the cause of your problem. Do you have an automatic control or manual system? Try running the vehicle in recirculation, full blower, full cold, compressor on and cycle off-on the Aux button so that the rear is also at the same conditions. The vehicle should cool down very quickly.

If it doesn't I would suggest to go to the dealer and make sure that you have the right freon amount.
It was built 11/06, purchased in 3/07. It's an SLE with manual controls. I do plan to bring it in soon, I just won't have a chance for a few more weeks. It is cool, just not cold. The other day it was 85 outside, not sunny, I was alone in the car and about 30 minutes later I still had the air on full blast and recirc- I was just cool, not COLD.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
It happens in automatic, but it's not a gush of hot air, it's more like luke warm air. It doesn't really bother me.

I was telling my husband about this question. The car is never freezing, but it is comfortable. He stated that we will not know for sure how it works until August. He and I debated on how you usually don't get freezing air any more due to non freon air. The car I got for graduation was a convertable and the dash would drip because it put out so much of a chill.

With our discussion, I did come up with something. I am very pleased right now with the amount of time it takes for the air to get cool. Usually I can get in drive for awhile and it will eventually cools down. I have not had to with the Acadia. I believe it cools immediately. My husband says it can't happen like that, but I can't remember sweating in the car at all. I am going to test it tomorrow if it is not cloudy. If I do a remote start, by the time I get in, the car is comfortable. My ebony leather seats are never burning like my husband's black leather seats do in his G-35 and sometimes his car stays warm.

I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the ebony interior leather, and I would say that I have never been freezing but have been quite comfortable. And I have had the thermometer all the way down to 60 (which is a low as it will go). I also use the recirculate button, and I prefer the manual setting to auto, because I don't like the way it blows fast and loud for a period of time. And it has been pretty warm here in Michigan so far. I am quite satisfied. Also, I was thinking that due to the large amount of cabin space in this vehicle, it may seem like it takes a bit longer to feel cool.

Service: Did you say we shouldn't hit the "aux" button to get the car to cool down quickly? I thought using it creates the same conditions in the back, as I've created up front (temp and fan speed).

ALSO, I've had the HEAT on a couple of mornings, and boy, it seemed like I had to crank the temp way up, to notice any warmth. Seemed really unusual to my husband and me. Will this be an issue next winter? Probably something we set wrong??!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mckcab - Thanks for your post. The air conditioning system's design and sizing is pretty good for the Acadia and depending on the conditions you start with, if you are in recirculation mode, it can cool down almost immediately. Please let me know of the results of your future tests.

etgus - Thanks for your post also. The method you follow to avoid the initial high blower by using manual is very correct. Sometimes the autmoatic system is not comfortable enough at all the conditions. Also, I might have been ambiguous earlier about the Aux button description. Your understanding of the function of Aux button is perfect and I would say that if possible, always use this function because it also helps keep the fuel consumption low. i.e. , by using the rear AC to help the front by keeping the cabin cool you can potentially reduce the air conditoning power required.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
About the heat issue that you found, Etgus. What did you have to set the themostat at to heat up? Also, any idea of the outside air temperature when you did the test? We didn't see any major issues in January - Feb timeframe of 2007. However, there weren't that many Acadias out at that time. Please post any more information whenever you get a chance. Thanks very much for your feedback. I am in Michigan also and will keep a watch for this issue also.

·
Registered
405 Posts
jseck2 said:
I live in a hot climate (90F+ 6 months/year) and feel like the AC just doesn't keep up. I know there is a service bulletin about leaking freon that I haven't had checked yet but it just doesn't feel very cool and rear doesn't seem to do much other than blow. I wouldn't say it's warm but it's definitely not COLD.

:ditto:

·
Registered
1 Posts
We were also experiencing poor AC performance (in addition to a humming noise coming from the center dash vents). I dropped it off this morning, and it turns out the expansion valve was leaking. Not sure if this explains the noise, but at least the AC will be working as we take it on our first extended drive this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello ibnewt. Thanks for your post. There is a tech bulletin out for freon leak, I am sorry for the problem but it is contained now. Please check if the humming noise comes even when the AC is off but the blower is on. If it is not there then it might be related to AC system otherwise due to something else. Please post any other feedback after your extended ride.

·
Registered
159 Posts
AcadiaService: regarding the heat issue: the mornings were about 59 - 62 degrees. Again, not very cold out, but enough of a chill where I thought I would heat the cabin a bit to take the edge off. Was surprised that I had to crank it up to about 80, and then BAM, it got warm.

Thank you for your informative reply regarding my post below! ETGUS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine's the rear a/c. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. The service dept has actually contacted me 4 separate times to let me know that it seems to be working fine for them. One even went as far to say they placed a thermometer in front of the air vent and it registered 48 degrees. When I got there and drove it for over 30 minutes the lowest I could get it to register was 70 degrees. Yes, it has been hot here in Georgia. In the 90's each day, but even still, after a car runs for over 30 minutes you should get colder than 70 degree air to blow...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts