GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody put any aggressive tread on their Acadia? After seeing the new AT4 Acadia I thought about at least for winter finding a set of different wheels and tires for the rig. Want to slap some Duratracs or something similar, anybody done anything similar to that?

·
Registered
433 Posts
There are plenty of tire options out there that you could choose from for winter, although that is essentially over for this year. Unsure what a Duratrac is, but I would imagine most tire makes offer a rugged winter tire option.
I wouldn't want to sacrifice my nice smooth, good handling Michelin tires for off-road types on my vehicle, but if OK doing so again there are plenty such as BFG All Terrain TA, etc. for all seasons.
I'm thinking Warthog1966 may chime in, as he wants a lift kit, assuming that will be accompanied by aggressive tires.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Are you somewhere that you deal with deep snow? I would rather have winter tires with an appropriate compound for ice/snow than an offroad tread. Unless of course you're going to use them offroad too.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't know about Duratrac model tire for the Acadia. Usually more of a truck or actual off road worthy SUV.

The General Grabbers above might be interesting. Just know that MPG may suffer a MPG or two or three.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you doing it for looks or actual off-roading?

I’ve not found anywhere to drive off road here in Ohio. There’s a few places with serious off roading that wouldn’t be appropriate for an Acadia.

But I was hoping to find trails, soft-roading.

Even the stock 20” Michelin’s did fine on the OBX beach.

·
Registered
2009 Travers LS AWD
11 Posts
Are you doing it for looks or actual off-roading?

I’ve not found anywhere to drive off road here in Ohio. There’s a few places with serious off roading that wouldn’t be appropriate for an Acadia.

But I was hoping to find trails, soft-roading.

Even the stock 20” Michelin’s did fine on the OBX beach.

I personally like the look better, and there are times when I will drive off the path on less than packed surfaces. Yesterday, for instance, I grabbed my trailer to gather firewood and drove in some soft areas. Its nice to know that you have the little extra traction once you have a trailer heavily loaded with wood that you have to pull back to the road. If there were some trails around here, I would definitely explore them to do some 'Soft roading', as you put it... where a little bit of sand and mud could be involved. Anything requiring ground clearance could be an issue, though. There isn't much space under these vehicles.

What OBX beach did you drive on? I used to live there and would be very skeptical about taking an FWD-based AWD platform on that OBX sand! I have seen plenty of vehicles stuck out there with true 4WD and more clearance and Tire than the Lambdas! Heck, I have been stuck out there in a lifted 2nd gen Explorer Sport on 33x12.50's! You must have aired down to like 12psi!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts