GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story, but due to some problems our dealer has said he'd eat the cost of a custom leather job.

He claims it's a higher quality leather and a longer warranty. ???

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have two friends who have done it....they were very satisfied. It is something we have actually considered since I am not in love with Titanium. But it would mean getting an SLE and replacing the cloth but we don't want an SLE. But, I was considering it. The leather samples they showed me were nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mama2girls said:
I have two friends who have done it....they were very satisfied. It is something we have actually considered since I am not in love with Titanium. But it would mean getting an SLE and replacing the cloth but we don't want an SLE. But, I was considering it. The leather samples they showed me were nice.
What's wrong with the SLE in your opinion?

·
Registered
389 Posts
There is nothing wrong with it, it is just not what we want. We wanted a few more things that come with the SLT - I don't want to add leather to manual seats (SLE is manual), I want the heated seats, we want the Bose, we want the stereo controls on the steering wheel, the machined wheels, etc.

Basically, some things you can add, others you just can't - they are specific to the SLT. So, it would be silly to ala carte add options and still not have the car we wanted. I don't want a sliced and diced aftermarket car either.

I have had basic cars for 16 years and we are in a position to buy a few more bells and whistles - not a ton, but some. So, I want them.

That is why I am deciding I am more OK with titanium leather.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK... just curious.

Because pretty much all of that stuff is available through equipment group packages for the SLE. Not sure about the heated seats. Even with adding in all those packages and options, the SLE is still a bit cheaper than an SLT-1 with same options. But if the factory leather is what you want, you have no other choice but SLT. I've read some of your other posts so I'm sure you know all this with the extensive research you've done. You remind me of my wife, she'll take 2 months to buy a pair of shoes... has to explore every shoe in a 100 mile radius before she decides which one to get. ;D

Good Luck with whatever you decide. :thumb:

·
Registered
389 Posts
So, I can nickel and dime my way up in an SLE to get SLT options and be equally equipped for the same price or less? I find it hard to believe. Now, I will admit I have not tried it. But, it just seems to me that is why there are different trim levels to begin with - there are just certain features you can only get at each level and that seems pretty much the way it is with every car/truck/SUV we have looked at. Anyway....my husband couldn't care less about heated seats, being in Phoenix and all, but I am always cold so I like them. It gets "cold" in the winter here!! But, he liked the steering wheel audio controls and you cannot get that on an SLE from what I understand. The exterior is a little different - body matched areas in the SLT are back in the SLE, right? I may be wrong...I know there are a few other things...Anyway...I decided to like the Titanium so it is a non issue at this point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OH I'm not trying to talk you into the SLE in anyway. You want the Tit.Leather so the SLE is not at all an option for you. You are correct on the exterior... SLE will have black mirrors and those can't be optioned out of and I'm sure they have a few other differences on the outside appearance.

I found it hard to believe also, but the options my wife wanted were the remote start, rear parking assist, rear audio controls, DVD system, tri-zone climate control, power driving and passenger seats, and leather wrapped steering w/audio controls. All available on the SLE via packages PDD(Convenience Package-Remote Start,Keyless Entry, Ultrasonic rear parking assist), PCM(Preff.Package-6way power driver seat, 2 way power passenger seat, leather-wrapped steering wheel w/redundant audio controls), and U42(Entertainment System w/DVD, headphones, remote, tri-zone, Adv. Bose 10 speaker w/5.1,etc.). For about $2-3K less than an SLT1 with the same equipment.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Bblanch....interesting.....that is pretty darn close in equipment for a lot less...Steve - are you reading this????? (my husband lurks...)

·
Registered
48 Posts
We wanted to buy an 08 SLE with sun roofs and found that option only available on an SLT. I still don't understand why they make you move up to leather to get roofs. We ended up saying lets just go for it and bought an SLT 2, Nav, roofs, loaded. Could have been part of GMC's evil plan from the start. We love the vehicle but not the price.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've tried to convince my husband to just go for broke (almost literally!) and go SLT-2 Loaded!!!! Some reason the keeper of the check-book didn't like that idea. So, we are at the point of SLT-1 with a couple of carefully selected add-ons. 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like you are ready and the SLT-1 will work well for you. My wife and I have never spent so much on a vehicle and when I think of base price and what we paid, well, I hope it is worth it. I told her this will be a 10 year old vehicle before she see's another new one. We'll see if that workes out or not. Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We used one over the weekend that had the Sunroofs and the NAV... The more I drove it the more I wanted them, then I'd glance over to the window sticker towards my right and was brought back down to earth. If I was in the position to do so, I'd definitely go all out like you are.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I hardly call SLT-1 FWD + dvd/convenience/power lift gate/HUD "all out" by most standards on this board!!! We are not planning for the sunroofs - too much $$ and I really don't trust the heat issues in Phoenix. My kids ***** moan, whine, complain about sun coming in thru the windows of our tinted accord - can't imagine if it was overhead.... Someone at the Saturn dealer uggested limo tint - with a dark window and a dark shade - why bother. It just makes the overall ceiling height lower and makes a black hole ceiling instead of the light titanium headliner which is 2" higher without sunroofs. As for Nav - we actually had a close call Wednesday night I mentioned on another thread with my daughter riding her bike up the sidewalk and my husband backing out of the garage in his accord - she literally came out of nowhere quickly. Luckily, he saw my and my friend screaming and waving our arms as we ran to her and the car and she only ended up with her wheel wedged under the bumper and a little scared. We were all a bit shaken.

Made me want to rethink a $2000 upgrade to Nav/back up camera.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Something to consider about aftermarket leather.
I have read a couple hundred threads on three Outlook / Acadia forums so I don't remember where it is at but there was a thread about after markert leather affecting the air bag sensor in the seats. Apprently GM replaced cloth with leather seats on 800 fleet or lease return cars, sold them, then bought them back when they found out the air bag sensor in the seat was tuned for cloth and did not work properly with the aftermarket leather. Supposedly GM has since decided it's dealers are on their own if they install leather in a new car. Supposedly some dealers will make the buyer sign a release before installing leather. Now this may be an old wives tale started by Toyota or somebody but it is worth looking into.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Good advice.
I have had cars with leather for years and personally I like cloth better. It wears longer, is cooler, and much more stain resistant than it used to be. If I still had small children though I might prefer the leather. I wish they would offer cloth in the SLT's, but I think I'm in the minority here.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Like most other things, aftermarket leather can be all over the board in quality levels. If it's a bargain, there is probably a reason. There are certainly many well done jobs out there but you can have a pretty poor one done also if you're not careful. The dealers may get a little better pricing because they have a regular relationship with a contractor but generally speaking, in my experience, you very unlikely to get both quality mateials and quality workmanship for less money than the OEM charges for factory leather.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Smokey Bear, you beat me to it. GM bought back every vehicle they sold with aftermarket leather seating due to incompatibility with the Passenger Presence System. If you go out and have it done yourself (or dealer) there could be huge liability risks should the unthinkable occur. Be safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed aftermarket leather in my enclave and the passenger presence system worked fine. got a whole car of leather for $165 shipped from ebay.....

·
Registered
635 Posts
I deal with many types of fine leathers in my job and I am very satisfied with leather that came with my XR. I have a friend who had Toyota re-do the seats in his wifes camery with leather. It looks okay, but the leather was not done as tight as I would have liked or have in my factory done seats (his looks like it was done aftermarket). The only time I would have an after market leather put on my seats is if it were smooth ostrich - it is much more durable than the calf used - of course it would also be more exspensive. Basicaly, while you can get a nice leather, consider how it is going to look once it is done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts