GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noobie here, glad to have found this forum! I just purchased an 07 Acadia SLE and my wife is used to driving small Hondas, so the first thing she complained about was backing up and not being able to see anything! Looking at options for backup sensors, I realized that when I use the keyless entry, ALL lights come on, including the reverse lights! This I can see being a problem as it takes almost a minute for them to time out and turn off. More than anything, the complaining from the wife will be worse than the beeping noise she will hear when she's loading groceries in the back and standing in front of the sensors!! Does anyone know any way around this? Is there some sort of relay I can wire to avoid this? I know there are sharp minds out there as I've been lurking for quite a while...just haven't seen this issue in any searches yet! Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would think the aftermarket sensors would be wired in to be activated on the shift selector being in Reverse, and wouldn't be activated just on the lights being on during the keyless action.

Rex

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
rexster said:
I would think the aftermarket sensors would be wired in to be activated on the shift selector being in Reverse, and wouldn't be activated just on the lights being on during the keyless action.

Rex
I had a purchased a set off of ebay for my old Envoy. They worked well. They can be tied into the reverse lights, or the gear shift I believe all depends on how you want to wire it. On the SLT with we can turn off the ENTRY/EXIT lights with the DIC... Anyone know if this is an option with the SLE?

This pretty much the same as what I had, this one even has a mute switch to turn off the alarm. LINK
The other option is to get a wireless backup camera system. There is no beeping there.. Check out this link.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2968.0

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. As far as tying into the reverse switch...I'm assuming the switch is under the gear selector, does anyone know what wire color I'd tie into? Also, not sure about turning off the entry lights...this would be a great alternative as I'm not a huge fan of all the lights coming on anyway!! I will do some digging this weekend and see if I can come up with anything. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
matstang said:
Thanks for the replies. As far as tying into the reverse switch...I'm assuming the switch is under the gear selector, does anyone know what wire color I'd tie into? Also, not sure about turning off the entry lights...this would be a great alternative as I'm not a huge fan of all the lights coming on anyway!! I will do some digging this weekend and see if I can come up with anything. Thanks for the ideas!
Do you happen to have the tri zone climate controls? There have been other SLE owners that have added the DIC feature. Takes a little handy work, but overall simple and very inexpensive.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1631.0

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
bonk1313 said:
rexster said:

Rex
I had a purchased a set off of ebay for my old Envoy. They worked well. They can be tied into the reverse lights, or the gear shift I believe all depends on how you want to wire it. On the SLT with we can turn off the ENTRY/EXIT lights with the DIC... Anyone know if this is an option with the SLE?

This pretty much the same as what I had, this one even has a mute switch to turn off the alarm. LINK
The other option is to get a wireless backup camera system. There is no beeping there.. Check out this link.
I am almost positive DSNY installed a DIC and swapped steering wheels on his SLE

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our SLE does not have the tri-zone climate control--just the manual control. There is no space for the DIC buttons either, so I'm guessing I haven't got the harness behind the dash for it. Also, DSNY's last post in that thread stated that he hadn't done the swap yet, but that he was going to purchase the harness from the dealer and have it installed. I'm sure this is possible, but I'm not willing to pay 150 for a harness at this point! I think I will start with looking for that b/u switch and see if I can find power off that switch when it's active. The links to those threads were very helpful, thanks! I will be sure and post back on this thread indicating success or failure. I just can't imagine I'm the only one with this question on an SLE!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
jsimms said:
bonk1313 said:
rexster said:

Rex

I am almost positive DSNY installed a DIC and swapped steering wheels on his SLE
I don't think he did this because of the current for sale situation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to give an update as to how I solved my backup sensor dilemma. I am a service manager for an outfit that installs/services handicap accessible vehicles, so have parts laying around here and there. Well, I found a small limit switch,(or microswitch as some may call it) similar to the neutral/safety switch on the gear shifter and installed it off of a constant hot coming from the accessory plug. The way I installed it was a little cheesy, but it works well and supplies power to my b/u sensors only when the vehicle is in reverse, and NOT when the reverse lights are on! I was happy with my 'invention', and wanted to let others know, (who have the SLE and cannot upgrade the DIC) so that when someone does a search in the future they don't come to a dead end! Pictures will follow soon as I did take a few before I put everything back together. I will see if I can't get pictures loaded tomorrow. Thanks to all who got me going in the right direction!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the pictures I promised:

Shown is the power wire connected to the switch (the wire from the b/u sensor is not run yet in these pictures...)
Second picture is a reference picture (drivers side panel removed--seat had to be removed to get this panel off.)
Third pic was taken from the drivers footwell looking back towards the accy plug (just to show where I tapped for power)

Yes, I had to glue the switch, then zip tie it...there is not clearance on the other side of where the switch mounts (shift lever slides along the back side). I used Gorilla glue, but wouldn't recommend it in this case as it expanded way to much for what I needed. I would count more on the zip ties holding it in place!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Nice; I think the zip ties should be sufficient; you might even throw another tie on there since you had to remove the driver's seat just to get access. Another zip tie would give you some peace of mind

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny you should mention that...I ended up putting another zip tie on it! It works great, and yes I feel much better with it on there as well!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts