GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering? Will this be available with the coming change to the 08's? Will we then be able to add a backup camera to our 07's?

·
Registered
70 Posts
From several different sources I have read , adding an aftermarket backup camera integrated with the nav system will not be an easy task. The reason is that the flash memory for the nav system must be reprogrammed by the dealer for a backup camera. I would think most dealers would balk at reprogramming for an aftermarket (a non-GM) camera, but I could be wrong--ymmv. The other issue is whether or not the vehicle is even pre-wired for a backup camera. I haven't been able to find out anything on that issue, but I would sure love to know the answer! ???

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm not sure how the GM system works that makes it difficult to add a back-up (non GM) camera.
I have several friends (with non-GM cars) with navigation systems that allows them to add a back-up camera.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well what I meant was will we be able to add a GM backup camera to our 07 Acadia's? Since they are coming out on the 08's I was wondering if my dealer would be able to do this for me if I wanted to.

Sorry for being unclear about my question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dealer thinks that they might be able to put the 2008 Acadia's backup camera onto our 2007 Acadia. I'm checking with him again in August.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer tried to install a Yukon camera in my 07 Acadia but to no avail - it wasn't recognized by the system. I suggested that they lay their hands on the Enclave's camera (or an 08 Acadia's), but it seems that those parts are in short supply right now. As far as getting it to install on our 07's, it shouldn't be a problem as there is a cable into the NAV system labled for the camera already. The key is plugging the correct part into it.

I'll update you as soon as I get more info...

cmores

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dealer was also thinking about the Enclave's backup camera. Short supply, too.

There is one thing to note. The rear license position for the Enclave is lower than the Acadia and the camera is placed near the license light. If the camera angle is fixed, then the Enclave camera would be viewing a different spot for the Acadia.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Backup Camera? Will Be Able To Add One?

I'm wondering if anyone has any further info on this topic.

Anyone added an '08 camera to an '07? Was the dealer able to do it? Did it work with your current nav system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I called my dealer today and spoke to parts they have no clue. So i called GM customer care they called my dealer and spoke to service which then transfered them to someone in finance i think(weird). But he said they could install a camera that goes around my license plate for $750. They said it would work just like the one from the factory and it would be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The last post was in May. Is there any new information on getting the BU camera for the 2007 Acadia's? Also one of the posts said there is a port on the NAV. system for the camera, does anyone know the difficulty level of installing the required wiring?
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reviving this thread to include the new camara/rearview mirror option that is arriving with the 2009 models.

Without knowing all the details, this should be an easier and more affordable alternative to the back-up monitor/navigation system previously discussed.

If we've started this discussion in a new thread, please include a link in this thread pointing to it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Adding a mirror with the back up camera in it? Now that I am very interested in doing. I look forward to hearing any info.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
GAR said:
Adding a mirror with the back up camera in it? Now that I am very interested in doing. I look forward to hearing any info.
At a minimum, it would require running a wire for video from the backup camera to the mirror. I'm sure such a wire is not already there in the wire harness running to the mirror in the '07 & '08s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Just some comments on getting a B/U camera on an acadia.

I recently purchased a 08 Acadia SLE. So no nav and no backup camera, but I did get the b/u sensor. After a few days with the B/U sensor I found it did not work as well as others I've used in other cars (does not beep continuously etc.) so I found a local car audio retailer to put in an aftermarket B/U camera, which I am in the process of doing, but it's not cheap. To get the B/U camera on an 08 you need get an SLT trim level and add the $2500 Nav system, so maybe 4-5K from an SLE trim model to SLT with Nav just to get a B/U camera so even with $700 for a professionally installed camera and monitor, a lot cheaper than buying an 08 with a B/U camera.

Backup cameras build into Rearview mirrors are available, but if you have onstar you cannot go that route. So, I went with the separate monitor and camera solution. Not the most integrated installation look, but for the ability to see behind is worth it. The camera mounts under the GMC emblem near the rear hatch handle and is wired into the backup lite circut so the screen comes on when the car is put into reverse.

Glad to hear that they are offering it as an option (camera only) in 09. IMHO any vehicle of this size and limited rear view issues, should offer the B/U camera as an option. The Mazda CX9 has a worse field of view than the Acadia and it offered the B/U camera as an option (on their mid level trim vehicle and up though).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yesterday I received 2 different catalogs selling wireless backup camera systems for $129.99 (Sky Mall: product #RDM105) and $229.95 (AutoSport: product #13491). The Sky Mall version has a 3.5" LCD with a video input for your DVD player, iPod, or iPhone, and the 2.5" color LCD AutoSport version allows you to connect its camera directly to your 2-wire backup light wiring for power. Both cameras are license plate-mounted and transmit wirelessly to the monitors which plug into your power port/cigarette lighter.

Has anyone tried out one of these systems and if so, how well do they operate? Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts