GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys
just been to crutchfield to order Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 (seems a good offer $1599 with free rear view camera) and to much of my surprise the sales person told me that they don't have steering wheel harness for 08 model, in fact he said there is not one available for Acadia, full stop!
I am not sure that's the case, cos i have seen/read many post here people installing after market DINs so would be surprise that they were all happy to lose their steering wheel controls?
Can anyone please right me in the right direction?
cheers

·
Registered
730 Posts
I built THIS on the crutchfield site. It says it will work with your system. You do have the factory steering wheel audio control, right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kram said:
I built THIS on the crutchfield site. It says it will work with your system. You do have the factory steering wheel audio control, right?
I tried your link but got the following:

2008 Acadia with Factory Stereo

This item does not work with your Factory Stereo

i guess the parameters you use might be different to what i have!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm using the SWI-PS on my 2007 Acadia with an aftermarket Pioneer nav system without any problems. I think the difference between the PS and the JACK is the brand of radios they work with. There was some prior discussion on installation here:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3542.0

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The SWI-JACK is the right interface for your Kenwood. "JACK" stands for:

JVC
Alpine
Clarion
Kenwood

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jhk said:
I'm using the SWI-PS on my 2007 Acadia with an aftermarket Pioneer nav system without any problems. I think the difference between the PS and the JACK is the brand of radios they work with. There was some prior discussion on installation here:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3542.0
excellent news, although the post/link you referred also said 07 does not have steering wheel controls? Anyway as you are using it successfully it the proof of the pudding!
So my shopping list from crutchfield looks like this!
Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 including Boyo rear-view camera, good choice or use Kenwood camera?
Harness retain the door chime/warnings etc

+ SWI-JACK from ebay.

Can anyone confirm that i'm on the right track?
cheers

·
Registered
730 Posts
aandm said:
kram said:

i guess because i was logged on with my crutchfield account when i copied the link so it didn't won't work for you..
here's a screen capture. i tried searching for the forum where one guy successfully installed this..couldn't find it..

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kram said:
aandm said:
kram said:

i guess because i was logged on with my crutchfield account when i copied the link so it didn't won't work for you..
here's a screen capture. i tried searching for the forum where one guy successfully installed this..couldn't find it..
Thanks for the screen capture, i cold barely read SWI-JACK on the item so it should be the same. I guess if you use the same parameters as i did (
2008 Acadia with Factory Stereo) you will get the same message 'This item does not work with your Factory Stereo
'. Anyway i will place the order for the above shopping list and hope it all hangs together!
cheers

·
Registered
730 Posts
The parameter i used was 2008 Acadia with aftermarket Kenwood DNX8120 (not factory stereo)..then it would say "this works with your system". Anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
487 Posts
aandm said:
kram said:

Did I miss something, you said you were looking at an aftermarket sat/nav, so it shouldn't matter that it doesn't work with factory stereos, and it would be pointless to use it with your factory stereo since the controls already work with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
coloradoGM said:
aandm said:
kram said:

Did I miss something, you said you were looking at an aftermarket sat/nav, so it shouldn't matter that it doesn't work with factory stereos, and it would be pointless to use it with your factory stereo since the controls already work with it.
No, you did not miss anything, it seems to me the confusion is caused by the crutchfield website, they way i understood was that you enter the parameters of the car YOU HAVE and the website then tells you if the switch(es) compatible with your car, not necessarily what stereo should work in my car! Therefore on the website i entered the what i have (i.e. factory fitted stereo) but after reading yours and kram responses, it appears that i should enter what i want and then website will tell me what is compatible, sorry about the confusion lads..
cheers

·
Registered
487 Posts
aandm said:
coloradoGM said:
aandm said:
kram said:

No, you did not miss anything, it seems to me the confusion is caused by the crutchfield website, they way i understood was that you enter the parameters of the car YOU HAVE and the website then tells you if the switch(es) compatible with your car, not necessarily what stereo should work in my car! Therefore on the website i entered the what i have (i.e. factory fitted stereo) but after reading yours and kram responses, it appears that i should enter what i want and then website will tell me what is compatible, sorry about the confusion lads..
cheers
No problem, that's what I assumed was going on I just wanted to be sure I understood. BTW my friend has a Kenwood nav in is F350 and it is really nice. I don't know which model he has but after seeing it I would recommend any of kenwoods navs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
aandm said:
kram said:
aandm said:
kram said:

Thanks for the screen capture, i cold barely read SWI-JACK on the item so it should be the same. I guess if you use the same parameters as i did (
2008 Acadia with Factory Stereo) you will get the same message 'This item does not work with your Factory Stereo
'. Anyway i will place the order for the above shopping list and hope it all hangs together!
cheers
After you install, would you mind posting some pictures and thoughts on the unit? My wife is convinced that she does not want anything but a factory navigation unit installed. I'd like to be able to show her non-factory pictures to give us more options.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 2009 Enclave, and Crutchfield just advised me that they have the harness(es) but I have the RSE option, and I will lose the RSE if I change out with the DNX8120. Has anyone got any information on this?

thanks

Rex

1 - 17 of 17 Posts