GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A blurb in either Motor Trend or Car and Driver mentioned that "there is now a lower-priced camera for backing up that is integrated into the rearview mirror". Local GMC service department is clueless. Yet - GMC is showing this is available on 2009 models. I have 2008 SLT and back-up sensors are basically useless. Had license-plate mounted camera in Honda Pilot and did not like it. Has anyone had this "new" rearview mirror/camera installed in their car? If so, where did you purchase it? I appreciate any assistance you can give me.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yes, it's an available option on the 2009s, and no, I haven't heard of anyone successfully retrofitting it to a 2008 or 2007 yet.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
As Loach mentioned, the setup you are speaking about is a factory option for the SLT1 and SLT2 w/o the nav radio. When I looked at the options on the vehicles for 2009, I came away with the impression the camera would be the same, but the display would either be in the rearview mirror (smaller) or the nav radio (larger). Don't know if the vehicles are pre-wired for this, I suspect they are not based on older threads where members were trying to retrofit the camera.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I was on the GMC lot today, looking at an 09 that had the camera installed and I believe it had nav as well. Anyway the camera is located next to the rear door handle and is almost not visible unless you are looking for it. As far as a retrofit, I would like to see what is out there. My 07 doesn't have nav, so I thinking another rear view mirror

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
We were just discussing a similar issue on a Dodge forum. I have a post here about the ebay license plate camera I have on my Daytona & Challenger. It has IR illuminators so you can see in the dark. There are some screen shots of the feed a few posts after that one.

The ebay vendor is interceptinc and the camera was about $100.

·
Registered
423 Posts
cool, too bad it wont fit the factory nav. looks like it would be easier to install, and the night feature would be great.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Here's a mirror I have been looking at anyone know anything about it? GENK-356 3.5 TFT LCD and the camera is an RVC-8001. Found them at mobilevideo4less.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe that mirror is the one that comes on the '09's. The Gentex mirrors are typically OEM on many of the GM vehicles.

I'm considering having that mirror installed myself. Let me know how it works if you go forward with it.

·
Super Moderator
22,429 Posts
Why do SUV, CUV and mini-van drivers need rear view cameras anyway? Are y'all a bunch of midgets who can't see over the armrest?
:confused:

·
Super Moderator
22,429 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
Why do SUV, CUV and mini-van drivers need rear view cameras anyway? Are y'all a bunch of midgets who can't see over the armrest?
I would like one so the next clown that stops too close to my Acadia can get an earful from me

·
Super Moderator
22,429 Posts
jsimms said:
I would like one so the next clown that stops too close to my Acadia can get an earful from me
jsimms, there's no speaker in back! you gonna get out and give them whatfor?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Yeah; in fact it's happened once already; the guy looked at me weird as I approached his vehicle, but he understood after I was done with him

·
Super Moderator
22,429 Posts
jsimms said:
Yeah; in fact it's happened once already; the guy looked at me weird as I approached his vehicle, but he understood after I was done with him
You'd get your *** shot for doing that in a lot of places. Be careful!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
speleos said:
I'm not sure about all SUVs, CUVs and minivans, but the Acadia has by far the worst rear visibility of any vehicle I've ever driven, so that's why I wanted one. I'm 6 ft even, so not Shaquille O'Neal but not a midget either. I had no problem seeing out of the rear of my '97 Grand Caravan or '01 Pathfinder. Seems like the newer vehicles are being built with high beltlines and tiny rear windows.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
You'd get your *** shot for doing that in a lot of places. Be careful!
That thought has crossed my mind

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
speleos said:
It's not just for SUV/CUV people anymore... it's a GADGET and by definition I'm going to have at least one and figure out how to make it come on when shifted into reverse or allow an override. Ended up w/ two, and it is actually quite nice on the Challenger sine the rear 1/4 vision is limited by the design. Of course, as the Italians say, "Whats-a-behind is-a-no-so important". :D

·
Super Moderator
22,429 Posts
loach said:
I'm not sure about all SUVs, CUVs and minivans, but the Acadia has by far the worst rear visibility of any vehicle I've ever driven, so that's why I wanted one. I'm 6 ft even, so not Shaquille O'Neal but not a midget either. I had no problem seeing out of the rear of my '97 Grand Caravan or '01 Pathfinder. Seems like the newer vehicles are being built with high beltlines and tiny rear windows.
You obviously have never driven a cargo van, panel truck or armored personnel carrier. What rear windows?

Word of caution - the picture was reversed on the rear-view camera of our 'W' It made for a whole lot of consternation between the SO and me when she pointed left and I went right. She almost wrecked me in the driveway! I thought it looked funny to see vehicles in the left mirror appear on the right-hand side of the monitor. The W dealer thought I was crazy when I told them about it. That was until they wrecked the coach 3 times before they fixed it!
:banghead:

Moral of story - make sure the pictures perfect before you ever rely on it!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have the back-up camera on my Enclave, the one with the screen in the rear view mirror. I like it, but it took me a while to look at it, I'm used to turning my head when I back up, and I have to keep remembering to use the camera image. I think it's just another safety device, so you can do a quick scan of what's behind you, but I still look out the rear window, kind of hard to relearn what I've been doing for years. Any friends who ride with us get a kick out of the screen in the mirror, so it's a "wow factor". It's come in handy times where I'm backing in a parking lot, or somewhere unfamiliar, gives a pretty good idea of what's behind you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts