GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm not much of a tire person but I've seen a lot of people on here mentioning that they were upgrading to the 19" wheels on the Acadia. What are the advantages and are they really worth the extra cost? My husband thinks it's a ridiculous idea to upgrade the wheels for an extra cost.

Just wondering.............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
The only real advantage is the looks (and frankly, I would rather spend about $4000 and get the 22's which really look different). The 19's have a little less rubber on the road so the ride is a tad rougher, and apparantly the 18's are a better snow tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I think the 19s look a bit better on the car, but I got the 18s. It was a practical decision for me. The 18" tires cost less to buy, get significant better snow and ice traction, ride smoother, and have over twice the tread life (tread wear rating of 540 vs 260).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I think that people upgrade for aesthetic purposes. Typically tire that fit a 19" rim will also last slightly (and I mean slightly) longer due to a larger circumference/tire area that wears per revolution. Any benefit that this could provide is usually more than offset by the cost of the bigger tire. The general populous likes big rims. But I don't think there is a substantial reason to go to bigger rims for cost reasons. Maybe someone else here could offer a more authoritative opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, if it's just about looks, I think that an inch smaller is okay with me if it's a better snow tire and smoother ride!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
DockMan said:
I think that people upgrade for aesthetic purposes. Typically tire that fit a 19" rim will also last slightly (and I mean slightly) longer due to a larger circumference/tire area that wears per revolution. Any benefit that this could provide is usually more than offset by the cost of the bigger tire. The general populous likes big rims. But I don't think there is a substantial reason to go to bigger rims for cost reasons. Maybe someone else here could offer a more authoritative opinion.
Hey DockMan - Where did you get your info that the 19" was a larger circumference?

The 18" tire is 255/65-18 and the 19" tire is 255/60-19. The distance from the rim to where the rubber meets the road for a 255/65 in inches is 6.525590551 and for 255/60 is 5.905511811. If you calculate the total diameter of the wheel with the tire size included, the 18" is 31.05" and the 19" tire is 30.81".

So in this particular case, the 18" tire is actually bigger in diameter where the rubber meets the road and therefore would actually have the less revolutions. (but like you say, it seems insignificant)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Basically it is the looks, not much else on the advantage side. The 18" tires are better made than the 19", and contrary to whay was said earlier, the 19" tires cost less to replace than the 18" (Tirerack has the 19" listed at $128 and the 18" at $169) But it is my belief that the 19" will not last as long (the 18' are made with kevlar in the sidewalls) and are not as good in the snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
GAR said:
DockMan said:
I think that people upgrade for aesthetic purposes. Typically tire that fit a 19" rim will also last slightly (and I mean slightly) longer due to a larger circumference/tire area that wears per revolution. Any benefit that this could provide is usually more than offset by the cost of the bigger tire. The general populous likes big rims. But I don't think there is a substantial reason to go to bigger rims for cost reasons. Maybe someone else here could offer a more authoritative opinion.
Hey DockMan - Where did you get your info that the 19" was a larger circumference?

The 18" tire is 255/65-18 and the 19" tire is 255/60-19. The distance from the rim to where the rubber meets the road for a 255/65 in inches is 6.525590551 and for 255/60 is 5.905511811. If you calculate the total diameter of the wheel with the tire size included, the 18" is 31.05" and the 19" tire is 30.81".

So in this particular case, the 18" tire is actually bigger in diameter where the rubber meets the road and therefore would actually have the less revolutions. (but like you say, it seems insignificant)
Replied without doing my homework.....I stand duly corrected. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
johnway said:
Basically it is the looks, not much else on the advantage side. The 18" tires are better made than the 19", and contrary to whay was said earlier, the 19" tires cost less to replace than the 18" (Tirerack has the 19" listed at $128 and the 18" at $169) But it is my belief that the 19" will not last as long (the 18' are made with kevlar in the sidewalls) and are not as good in the snow.
johnway - You are 100% correct about the stock 18s being more expensive than the stock 19s on Tirerack, but that is because they are in a totally different tire. Given the new sizes, replacements are not available yet (except for a Michelin 19" that Tirerack has on sale for $179). But once the other manufacturers start producing these sizes, the 18" tires will be cheaper than the 19s for the same tire. By the time the 18" tires will need replaced due to wear, they will for sure be cheaper to replace than the 19s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
GAR said:
johnway said:
Basically it is the looks, not much else on the advantage side. The 18" tires are better made than the 19", and contrary to what was said earlier, the 19" tires cost less to replace than the 18" (Tirerack has the 19" listed at $128 and the 18" at $169) But it is my belief that the 19" will not last as long (the 18' are made with kevlar in the sidewalls) and are not as good in the snow.
johnway - You are 100% correct about the stock 18s being more expensive than the stock 19s on Tirerack, but that is because they are in a totally different tire. Given the new sizes, replacements are not available yet (except for a Michelin 19" that Tirerack has on sale for $179). But once the other manufacturers start producing these sizes, the 18" tires will be cheaper than the 19s for the same tire. By the time the 18" tires will need replaced due to wear, they will for sure be cheaper to replace than the 19s.
I agree, I was just basing this on what is available presently. I would bet that if the same Goodyear Fortera that is used in the 18" was made for the 19" it would be over $200 a tire (at least $199.95 ;D)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Can't believe no one has mentioned the only REAL advantage of larger wheel - increased performance.

Granted, looks are likely the largest factor for many buyers, but the 19", 20", and 22" wheel with properly sized tires will have shorter sidewalls = better performance (turning and handling). Granted, the average soccer mom will never know/see this difference but it is a REAL difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Average soccer mom/baseballmom here -- guilty as charged -- I probably would never notice the difference in handling!! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Because 'size matters' ::) J/K

I agree with all the rest it is purely for the looks. And not necessarily due to the size difference itself, but for some it is the style of the wheel that matters. I'm one of the few that would much rather save the money up front and use it later to buy 20's or 22's so that I have a different looking vehicle than all the rest. I prefer more rim and less tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
I drove both the 19's did ride a bit stiffer but the corning and handling was very noticible and it just looked better. The price for new tires was not a concern when we were paying over 36 thousand it is just a drop in the bucket compared with the price of the acadia, but i do love how much better it handles. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
garco 57 said:
I drove both the 19's did ride a bit stiffer but the corning and handling was very noticible and it just looked better. The price for new tires was not a concern when we were paying over 36 thousand it is just a drop in the bucket compared with the price of the acadia, but i do love how much better it handles. :thumb:
You get the gold star. Larger diameter wheels should handle better since the sidewalls on the tires will be narrower. Narrower sidewalls "roll" less when cornering thereby making the car more responsive to steering input.

But the narrower sidewalls also provide less cushioning to road imperfections, so the ride on larger diameter wheels should be a little harsher.

The basic tradeoff between large vs small wheels is handling vs ride comfort...and oh yeah...appearance
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top