GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering adding a trailer hitch to my ACADIA. I did not get the tow package as I will not need the towing capacity. This would strictly be to add a bike or ski rack. Has anyone done this yet? My dealer is estimating parts and labor around $350. If that is accurate I should have just gotten the tow package for $425. Any thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got my trailer hitch from www.hitchfinder.com. I got the Reese 44569 for 111.75 + $17.00 shipping. It was here very fast. Hitch was easy to install. It states that you have to lower exhaust but there are little rubber bands that attach exhaust in front of mufflers that are easy to slip off. This allows just enough room to install hitch. It states it can be done in about 30 minutes, I was done with hitch, wiring, and bracket for connector in 25 minutes. Excellent hitch.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good to know - I was considering getting towing for just those stated reasons. But, those other numbers look better and would meet our needs. I have always said Hell would freeze over before we had to tow anything. But, that could always happen. It is more likely that we would want a bike rack or cargo carrier thing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
dura_cell said:
I got my trailer hitch from www.hitchfinder.com. It states it can be done in about 30 minutes.
I did the same. Bought a Hidden Hitch (Class III/IV) from Hitchfinder at about $105 delivered. Arrived in less tha a week. Dropped the rubber bands on the dual exhausts, slid the hitch in place, and bolted everything home. Total time about 20-25 minutes. Sole purpose is to hold my Yakima 4-bike rack. I felt like a genius when it was all said and done ... and foolish for almost throwing hundred$ at the dealer!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Will one of those hold the Stowaway or other cargo carriers that mount to a hitch besides a bike rack? I am trying to decide of I want to do the cargo on the rear or on top with a Thule or Yakima box. But, if we ever want to do bikes, we would need to do the roof top carrier if we need them all at the same time!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just ordered the Reese hitch from hitchfinder.com - good price, shipping was more than dura_cell but that could be due to the distance to PA. These hitches are more than sufficient for hauling the cargo carriers that mount to the hitch. :thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
The class III/IV hidden hitch is rock-solid (2" opening) and I can't see why it wouldn't hold a stowaway with no problem. I also use a Thule 580 Stacker kit attached to the center of the factory crossrails on my roof rack to carry my kayak(s). However, I'm not overly happy about the integrity of the factory roof rack ... more on that in a different post.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great advice! Thanks! I see hichfinder has 3 available. They all look to be the same function but different prices. I am not the best at this sort of thing but it looks like something I could handle or at a minimum I could order the part and have my local service guy put it in. At 25 minutes I would think it would be less than $100 to install. To think the dealer was going to charge me at least $350 for a $100 part and 1/2 hour time. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
389 Posts
But doens't that $350 towing package include the added cooling power and wiring for lights to the trailer and stuff like that?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The main thing your lacking is the transmission oil cooler, they will upgrade the fuse block to the towing capability as it is a factory problem. I believe you lack the tow mode but this is more needed if pulling in the higher weight range. You still have the capability of avoiding the shifts with the shift control on the gearshift. All in all if you need some of this it is probably better to get the whole package but I personally didn't want to wait, so I put together the hitch and what I needed. I tow infrequently and in the lighter range.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MAMA2Girls- I opted not to get the towing package at $450 as I will never be towing anything. What I want to do is just add the hitch so I can attach a bike carrier etc. I did not want to pay for the extra cooler. I thought that adding just the hitch later I would save some $$. I just figured I would save alot more then $100 that the dealer quoted me. Looks to me like I should be able to get the hitch and either attach it myself or get someone to do it for under $200.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the hitch added by a GA GMC dealer for $220 incl labor. Also, to finish the upfit, you will need to order hitch cover and bolts for approx $35 total. It looks great.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Keith - That is what we will probably do too - I know hell will probably freeze over before we tow anything but bikes or a cargo carrier are all options with just the hitch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My theory: If you can get it from the factory with a hitch/towing package installed get it that way. Bugs me that it is not standard equipment. Even if you don't tow anything it may help sell it later.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Keith said:
I am considering adding a trailer hitch to my ACADIA. I did not get the tow package as I will not need the towing capacity. This would strictly be to add a bike or ski rack. Has anyone done this yet? My dealer is estimating parts and labor around $350. If that is accurate I should have just gotten the tow package for $425. Any thoughts/ideas?
I use to work for GM Service Parts Operations. If you add a aftermarket hitch to it and something lets say happens to the rear suspension or powertrain GM will not cover the warranty on the effected parts because the vehicle DID NOT come equipped with a hitch (per vin #). With that being said you can buy a hitch assembly from GM accessory hitch made for your vehicle and if something like I mentioned happened it should be covered. I have seen this and the customers were pissed!! :angryfire: Good Luck!!

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
joker said:
My theory: If you can get it from the factory with a hitch/towing package installed get it that way. Bugs me that it is not standard equipment. Even if you don't tow anything it may help sell it later.
Should every option be standard equipment then?

It costs $500.00 more to have the towing package, money well spent, however some people would rather save the 500 or use it towards other options they desire.

Next we'll hear that GPS and leather should be standard.... they both cost a lot more and some people don't want them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.