GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a brand new 2020 Acadia SLT-1. At first we didn’t think we needed a tow pgk but now we are regretting not having one! Anyway! WHAT ALL DO I NEED TO ADD A TOW PKG?? I’ve researched and researched and I’m having a hard time finding everything I need.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a brand new 2020 Acadia SLT-1. At first we didn’t think we needed a tow pgk but now we are regretting not having one! Anyway! WHAT ALL DO I NEED TO ADD A TOW PKG?? I’ve researched and researched and I’m having a hard time finding everything I need.

You can search for and look at the build guide for 2020 Acadia to see what tow package includes.
Last year and previous, it was a higher capacity alternator, radiator/transmission cooler capacity, hitch wiring harness and one or two other things IIRC.
Not easily done after the fact. The most important is the trans cooler.
Depends how much and how heavy your tow is whether you could do it safely without the tow package.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Probably also several other items needed. On my '18, AWD with the tow package, the driver control knob has a tow mode. Alters the software plus activates AWD mode when tow mode is selected.

·
Super Moderator
19,529 Posts
Don't forget the hitch! That's probably the most crucial part. LOL

·
Super Moderator
19,529 Posts
You'll also have to consider the weight of what you want to regularly tow when deciding whether or not to add an electric brake controller.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes, on the '17-19, as divotdug noted, there is even the tow mode added to the drive mode selector (2WD, 4WD... Tow Mode). As mentioned, it modifies the shift points...
Anyway, important question already asked; how much are you planning to tow?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, too bad you didn't get the factory tow package. As others have noted, the tow package is more than just a ball on the back of you vehicle. It includes a receiver integrated into the car chassis, a transmission cooler, a dedicated tow mode in the drive selector switch (which changes transmission shift points, and lane change indicator cadence), the rear camera has a 'look while in motion' function so you can check your hitch and trailer while driving, and you get a pre-wired 7 slot electrical harness plug. :-(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts