GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, and found a few topics, but none that really answered the question. Can the tow package be installed after the Acadia is built? It's the only option I wanted that the Acadia didn't come with, so I'd like to add it if it is possible.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Not really. In addition to the hitch, there are tranny and oil coolers as well as a different programming for the transmission along with some other cabin controls.

You can add a trailer hitch and the 7 point wiring is already at the back of the vehicle even if you don't have the package. You can even get the bumper piece that is for the trailering package to cover the hitch when not in use. There is problem with the wiring and there is a TSB out for fixing it which is covered under warranty if you decide to move forward.

The negative is that the trailering package will tow 4500 lbs and if you do an add on like this, it will only tow 2000 lbs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Most aftermarket transmission coolers can be installed in addition to your own hitch. The only thing you might be missing is some sort of tow/haul mode programming, that changes the shift points slightly which you can probably do by manual shifting anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks, cause I really wanted the tow package. As far as the TSB, I just got the Accadia 2 weeks ago. should I assume that this has already been taken care of?

·
Registered
100 Posts
No, tsb's aren't automatically taken care of unless you ask about a specific problem which is related to one. Most places like to try and keep these quiet because it's not an automatic warranty thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a way to tell if it's been done?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
THE TOOTH said:
Is there a way to tell if it's been done?
Yep, if you PM me the last 8 characters of your VIN number I can pull up the dealer warranty service history for the vehicle.

·
Registered
533 Posts
THE TOOTH said:
That sucks, cause I really wanted the tow package. As far as the TSB, I just got the Accadia 2 weeks ago. should I assume that this has already been taken care of?
Tooth,

Don't sweat it. I'm not an "expert", but I believe that you'll do fine by adding a tranny oil cooler (pretty standard procedure), and adding a class III hitch receiver. As was mentioned above, you should be able to manually adjust your shifting to accomodate most things you'd be towing. The only item you may not have is an expanded capacity radiator that is standard with some tow packages. Think of it this way: How did we all tow our trailers / boats / RV's, etc. for the past 25 years without a button on the dash for "tow mode"? We just did it, and were mindful of not driving under a sizeable load in too low of a gear - a.k.a. downshift! Just watch your rpm's & you will be one stylin' tower before you know it!

Good luck, & let us know what mods you make to get to that towing state of bliss[/color] :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
my dealer told me that it would not be a problem seeing that the oil and tranny cooler is already there.. the only thing is that you will not have the inside switch, and you will not have the correct radiator

·
Registered
428 Posts
For those of you out there with an 08 Acadia, the TSB to fix the wiring for the trailer lights is just for the 07's. On the 08's GM has taken the stand that if you want it fixed pull out your check book and write the check. It is going to cost over 500 dollars to just fix the fuse box so that it will take the relays to make the brake lights and turn signals active. A word of advice, if you want to tow with the acadia get the towing package from the factory.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
OR ... you can just get an aftermarket class IV hitch with an aftermarket wiring harness put on. Functionally it's the same. It does not use the existing wiring, but my dealer quoted me $225 to have it done at a place they use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.