GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to add the two rear seat speakers yet? I can't seem to get a service person to give me a straight answer. My parts guy told me he could not get the wiring harness ordered. He said there was a picture of it but he could not order it. He says the wiring may already be there but I couldn't find it and the service guy told me that GM has stopped wiring for speakers not originally in the car. He said I would probably have to splice it into the wiring for the speakers in the rear doors. If someone has some experience with this I would really appreciate any help I could get.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you are talking about speakers in the third row area? If so, this is definantely something I am interested in also. I was just thinking the other day how crazy it is that 3rd row speakers weren't standard. Riding in the 3rd row you can hardly even hear the stereo. Doesn't seem like it would of cost GM much more to put a pair of speakers in the same location they are on the bose systems. I assume from your post that you have taken off the covers in the speaker area to see if the wires are there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am talking about the third row speakers. When I sat back there I was amazed that there was no sound there. I have removed the covers and on the driver's side there were two plugs but neither of them went to the stereo. I tried attaching the speaker to them but it didn't work. I have followed up with the service department and am waiting to see if they can find me any other information.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I too have thought about this...please post what you find. I have no problem splicing wires and mounting the speakers, but I have no idea where to begin to splice into the CORRECT wires...Didn't it look like 6x9's for that location? I can't remember now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
wow, no speakers in the rear... that is interesting they are in the enclave the bose comes w/10 speakers.

·
Registered
487 Posts
MsS42 said:
wow, no speakers in the rear... that is interesting they are in the enclave the bose comes w/10 speakers.
They do come in the GMC if you get the BOSE but without the BOSE it is just a 4 or 6? speaker system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are included if you get the upgraded package but just for the normal stereo package they are not included. They are small speakers about 4 inch round.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay i finally got an answer. To add the third row speakers it would take getting a whole new wiring harness. The cost for the harness alone is $1,100.00. I told GM that I am very disappointed in the sound system. The engineer I talked to said that he would bring up the problem in their forum and try to come up with a solution.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Is it not possible to just tap into the same power and ground wires as the rear door speakers...we're only talking a little 4" round speaker. They aren't going to make that much difference to the overall stereo system(maybe for the 2nd/3rd row passengers though), but it isn't worth $1,100. Somebody's had a little too much :beer:

Perhaps I'm wrong but aren't we talking about a simple 2-wire installation like subwoofers? At least that is how I remember my last cars...

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think so, too.
You can tap through the rear door speakers either in series or in parallel. Just be mindful what load can your amp handle for that particular channel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may be able to tap into the existing system but according to service it would void my warranty on the electrical system.

·
Registered
275 Posts
joegale said:
You may be able to tap into the existing system but according to service it would void my warranty on the electrical system.
No. Nothing simply "voids" your warranty by installation. Stop believing everything your dealership / service center tells you.

The Magnuson-Moss Act prohibits any modification from voiding your warranty; for warranty work to be denied, there must be proof that the source of the problem is the change that you made. Hence, why a problematic power window should not be denied warranty service due to a proper speaker install. However, it can also be one hell of an argument to make when the service center becomes pig-headed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
http://www.getbehindthewheel.com/topics/lemon_law/magnus_moss.htm

Trust me: coming from a community of car enthusiasts that like to tweak stuff, we know this backwards and forwards.

·
Registered
395 Posts
In order to deny a warranty claim, they would have to prove that the speaker installation caused damage- which is very unlikely, except perhaps to the radio itself, though I doubt if you had a claim anyone would ever pull the doors apart to check the speakers.

I changed all four door speakers in mine (the factory ones are total garbage- just plastic baskets and paper cones). The factory rears are 8 ohm (fronts are 4 ohm and I assume they are in series with the tweeters which are also probably 4 ohms). There's no reason you couldn't put two 4 ohm rear speakers in series and get the same impedance as factory.

·
Registered
730 Posts
jseck2 said:
I changed all four door speakers in mine (the factory ones are total garbage- just plastic baskets and paper cones). The factory rears are 8 ohm (fronts are 4 ohm and I assume they are in series with the tweeters which are also probably 4 ohms). There's no reason you couldn't put two 4 ohm rear speakers in series and get the same impedance as factory.
Can you share which speaker model/brand did you changed it to?
Thanks

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am really not an audio snob, so any brand name speaker was good enough for me. I went with Clarion's that I got from Overstock.com. They are 2006 models and I think I paid about $35 for one set (two way) and $45 for the other (three way). I got the last ones they had. They are 6-1/2 inch speakers. You will need to do some fitting to get the fronts to work. The factory front speakers are on a big plastic housing, otherwise there is probably not enough clearance for the window to roll down. I just cut the paper cone off and and mounted the new speaker to the old plastic speaker housing. I think if you order from Crutchfield, they include a bracket so you won't have to destroy the old speakers like I did. (The rears fit fine but you need to drill a few holes). I also just ordered a compact powered subwoofer from Crutchfield. I should have it next week. I'll let you know how the installation goes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is th edoor cable connection a plug or is it wires running thru the plastic tubing?

I was thinking to just by-pass the worthless ( to me) middle door speakers and install something in the rear. I hardly ever would have any people in the third row so may surface mount the somehow and point them foward.

OOooooohmmmmssss......... :help:

so is it fesible,(assuming the middle row spkrs are 8 ohms), that I could run a 4 ohm pair there and then another 4 ohm set in the rear? Are would that be 16 ohms?

what's the delta in 4 and 8 ohm systems?

Thanks

·
Registered
395 Posts
Two 4 ohm speakers in parallel would be TWO ohms total.
Two 4 ohm speakers in series would be EIGHT ohms.
It seems the factory radio is designed to drive 8 ohm rear speakers, so I would do them in series.

·
Registered
683 Posts
jseck2 said:
Two 4 ohm speakers in parallel would be TWO ohms total.
Two 4 ohm speakers in series would be EIGHT ohms.
It seems the factory radio is designed to drive 8 ohm rear speakers, so I would do them in series.
I'm far from a pro when it comes to stereos, can you help explain briefly the difference in series versus parallel?

·
Registered
395 Posts
In series, the + from the stereo goes to one speaker, the - from the first speaker goes to the + on the second speaker, and the second speaker's - goes back to the stereo.

(+) ------------ +(speaker) - ------------- + (speaker) -
radio |
(-)-----------------------------------------------------

In parallel, the + from the radio goes to the plus on both speakers. The - goes to the - on both speakers.

(+) -------------(+) ------------- (+)
(radio) (speaker) (speaker)
(-) -------------(-) -------------- (-)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts