GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new Acadia 1 week ago and had to take what was available. I got all the options I wanted with the exception of "Power Liftgate" and "Memory seats". I would like to add the power liftgate and was wondering if anyone has any information on this.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That was an option I found no value in.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Cravenfan said:
That was an option I found no value in.
I don't think that was the question. ;D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Agreed...my 2 cents...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't have any information per se, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't buy the parts needed to install it assuming they are available. I'd call the dealer and see if they could help. I do have the power liftgate, and it's entertaining, but if mine didn't come with it, I'm not sure I'd miss it. Good luck, Erik

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the power liftgate on my Outlook XR. It is extremely handy when you have a baby in hand or handfuls of bags and stuff. It also helps when you have a stroller to put in. I like it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not to say that it cannot be done but I would think that it would be a pricey upgrade - if you think about it there is the motor and chain that needs to be installed, the wiring to a switch in the front, new remotes witt the liftgate button, the button on the inside of the rear hatch - would would bet if it is possible that it would cost much more than $1000 to get all this installed. I would suggest to others that if you really want the power liftgate that you order it up front and not try to add it on after the fact. I hope it all works out for you. :thumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
the rear power liftgate is the single most important upgrade I looked for when purchasing. It was an absolute deal breaker for me. Wait, actually the 2nd row captains chairs was a must as well. I don't know why one would choose a bench seat over captains chairs. The captains chairs are friggin awesome and the rear power liftgate kicks a$$ too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
gnarboots11 said:
the rear power liftgate is the single most important upgrade I looked for when purchasing. It was an absolute deal breaker for me. Wait, actually the 2nd row captains chairs was a must as well. I don't know why one would choose a bench seat over captains chairs. The captains chairs are friggin awesome and the rear power liftgate kicks a$$ too.
I agree with you about the liftgate. I wanted the captains chairs but some of us do actually transport 7 to 8 people in the vehicle. Matter of fact, just yesterday I got back from a 800 mile trip. The trip would have been less comfortable with the captains chairs because I would not have had as much room for others in the back with the captains chairs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
gnarboots11 said:
Wait, actually the 2nd row captains chairs was a must as well. I don't know why one would choose a bench seat over captains chairs.
$500 and 8 people that's why!

I thought to myself, "self, would I ever regret not getting the bench?" And the answer came the first time I had 7 other passengers to tote around. Also handy with 2 car seats because then a fifth passenger doesn't have to ride in the way back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
gnarboots11 said:
I don't know why one would choose a bench seat over captains chairs. T
Some of us have babies and baby seats and need the extra seat.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This is by no means a feature you can add after the fact, unless you by chance happen to have a salvaged Acadia with it on hand to sit and swap a ton of parts from...

It's not just the mechanism itself, but there's different wiring harnesses, buttons for the dash and rear hatch, rear interior trim, new remotes, computer programming to acknowledge it's there, etc. By the time you could do it, the number of parts and the installation details would be so expensive and time consuming (and still likely not work correctly), you would seriously be much better off trading what you have in on a vehicle that has it.

This is a similar question on various van forums (i.e. the power sliders and hatch), and also with a lot of new SUV forums with people ordering or buying models without, and then SOMEHOW thinking it's as easy to add as a piece of trim. Just not going to happen, and why if a feature is really important to you, you have to either wait or pony up a few extra dollars. No way around it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yancey said:
Got my new Acadia 1 week ago and had to take what was available. I got all the options I wanted with the exception of "Power Liftgate" and "Memory seats". I would like to add the power liftgate and was wondering if anyone has any information on this.
why did you have to take what they had? you cannot add the power liftgate it is a factory built option and is not and cannot be dealer installed. if your dealer told you that could be done then they mislead you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My new Acadia has it and honestly it is getting on my nerves so far. Sure, it is very cool, but it won't open in my garage, which is going to be a hassle when grocery shopping, etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
deanne said:
My new Acadia has it and honestly it is getting on my nerves so far. Sure, it is very cool, but it won't open in my garage, which is going to be a hassle when grocery shopping, etc.
Hey dont blame the Acadia! Get a new garage!

opens fine in my garage, love power liftgate.

·
Registered
752 Posts
deanne said:
You can open it manually. It will stop when it hits the roof. Not sure if it can be closed with the power switch if opened manually.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My tailgate clears fine. My garage door is higher (around 8'). My last house was around 7' and my Expedition had to rest on the door.

So, be careful if you have a shorter garage door when opening the tailgate.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It does not matter if it is a power liftgate or not inside a garage - it would still hit your garage door if it is not high enough, IMO the manual liftgates with the pneumatic shocks that keep them up would lift the gate faster if you happen to let go as it is going up - I had these on my Acura and if I did not guide the door up slowly by hand it would hit - I actually keep a nerf football right near the end of the garage, while the gate is lifting I grab it, place it right around the license plate and when the liftgate is up the nerf ball protects the paint - I had to do the same with the manual liftgate on the Acura.

If you really do not like the power liftgate you can always turn it off by the button on the dash, then just use manually. :thumb:

·
Registered
123 Posts
gnarboots11 said:
deanne said:
Hey dont blame the Acadia! Get a new garage!

opens fine in my garage, love power liftgate.
:rofl:

·
Registered
111 Posts
;D

We have an 8' garage, too. I wonder why it won't open? Where are the sensors?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts