GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Can anyone tell me if the brake controller connector, that you plug the pigtail from the glove box into, is under the dash of my 07 Acadia AWD SLT2, without the tow package? When it was purchased in California, the dealer installed a class III receiver and replaced the fuse panel and 7pin light connector works correctly. This has been fine for my little cargo trailer. This summer though I am going to Yosemite and am renting a travel trailer in Fresno, 90 miles from Yosemite. The empty weight is 4000lbs. The rental includes a weight distributing hitch. I wont be filling up the water tank until I pull in to the campground, and will dump all the tanks at the campground dump station before hitting the road back to Fresno, so it wont be much heavier but for a few hundred feet, aside from cargo, which I will keep to a minimum. I'm going to install an auxiliary tranny cooler in front of the radiator, and may even spring for the high capacity radiator from eBay. I plan to use the low gear mode to control shifting and keep out of the high gears. I know the non tow capacity is 2000, but I think it will be okay if I do this. I just need to add the trailer brake controller, and am hoping the plug is under the dash anyways. I doubt GM installed an entire new harness with a $400 tow option, but maybe so. Other vehicles I have owned, I have discovered the main vehicle harness is ready for most options, they're just not installed. If it were up to me, I would always buy the tow package, but my girlfriend bought this in California before I knew her. Any help on this would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
:welcome: JP

Have you tried searching the forum for answers? This topic has been discussed at length and you should be able to find your answer.

.02 I am not sure the brake controller connector will be there, but try looking under the dash to the left of the steering wheel as you are sitting in the vehicle. If it's installed it will be located there. Good luck with your other projects in making the Acadia tow worthy. Keep us updated on how the install goes as it will further enhance the overall knowledge base of the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have gotten most of my knowledge about this from reading all of the forums, very helpful. Most of it is based on getting the lights to work, which has already been taken care of. I just haven't found much info about adding the brake controller to a non tow package. I hope its there, but if not, I get around it anyways. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
359 Posts
As AA mentioned, check under the dash on the drivers side toward left side of footwell. The grey connector you're looking for is taped off to the harness beside the BCM. I took pictures of my Outlook while wiring up the brake controller.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
BigTallVandy said:
As AA mentioned, check under the dash on the drivers side toward left side of footwell. The grey connector you're looking for is taped off to the harness beside the BCM. I took pictures of my Outlook while wiring up the brake controller.
So I guess we'll see if GM is cutting costs by not adding this connector to non V92 equipped vehicles :-\

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have a look here for some additional info:

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=739.0

and here:
http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=72189.0

I have some additional photos of wiring up my brake controller if you need. The above should be enough to get you started. Just be careful when removing the tape to free up the connector, you don't want to cut or remove any insulation from the wires.

AA/78U-Blue Gold: +1. Here's to hoping GM isn't 'de-contenting' with the under dash wiring harnesses and connectors.

·
Registered
104 Posts
jpmiller1978 said:
Hello. Can anyone tell me if the brake controller connector, that you plug the pigtail from the glove box into, is under the dash of my 07 Acadia AWD SLT2, without the tow package? When it was purchased in California, the dealer installed a class III receiver and replaced the fuse panel and 7pin light connector works correctly. This has been fine for my little cargo trailer. This summer though I am going to Yosemite and am renting a travel trailer in Fresno, 90 miles from Yosemite. The empty weight is 4000lbs. The rental includes a weight distributing hitch. I wont be filling up the water tank until I pull in to the campground, and will dump all the tanks at the campground dump station before hitting the road back to Fresno, so it wont be much heavier but for a few hundred feet, aside from cargo, which I will keep to a minimum. I'm going to install an auxiliary tranny cooler in front of the radiator, and may even spring for the high capacity radiator from eBay. I plan to use the low gear mode to control shifting and keep out of the high gears. I know the non tow capacity is 2000, but I think it will be okay if I do this. I just need to add the trailer brake controller, and am hoping the plug is under the dash anyways. I doubt GM installed an entire new harness with a $400 tow option, but maybe so. Other vehicles I have owned, I have discovered the main vehicle harness is ready for most options, they're just not installed. If it were up to me, I would always buy the tow package, but my girlfriend bought this in California before I knew her. Any help on this would be appreciated.
I can't say whether yours has the connector or not, but my 07 without tow package had the connector in the area as stated in the other posts.
One thing to check is whether the travel trailer has electric or hydraulic brakes. If it has hydraulic brakes, I'm pretty sure the backup light wire needs to be swapped over at the BCM to deactivate the hydraulic brakes when backing the trailer up.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
JLF,

So are you saying that if you have the tow package and towing a trailer with hydraulic brakes you DO NOT need to swap the back up wire on the BCM?

·
Registered
104 Posts
AA/78U-Blue Gold said:
JLF,

So are you saying that if you have the tow package and towing a trailer with hydraulic brakes you DO NOT need to swap the back up wire on the BCM?
Here's the info for the backup circuit with a trailer using hydraulic brakes:
Towing a Trailer with a Vehicle with Trailer Provisions (RPO V92)
The following procedure may need to be performed to the backup lamp circuit. Perform this procedure only if the customer will be using the vehicle to tow.
1. Disconnect the X7 connector from the Body Control Module (BCM).
2. Remove the terminal for pin 3 from the BCM X7 connector. The wire to this terminal is dark blue and is the 38 circuit.
3. Re-connect the X7 connector to the BCM.
4. Cut the terminal off the end of this wire and strip the end of the wire.
5. Splice this wire into the 24 circuit wire that goes into BCM connector X6, pin 2. The 24 circuit is light green.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.