GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding a factory back up camera to my recently upgraded factory Nav. ;D Does anyone have any pics (close-up and from a distance) of the camera. I have not seen an Acadia with one so I’m not sure where it goes. :help: :help:

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, here goes. The GM factory module is now available to install a backup cam on my '07 SLT. Connects to the Nav system and will be wired to the cam. I'm having the cam installed directly above and centered on the rear window. I carry a bike on the rear and this will give me visibility without too much interference from the bikes. Dealer installation Wednesday, Oct 29. I hope it works. I'll post pics if everything works out. :banana:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Teddy do you have a part number for the GM factory module?

I'm assuming the head unit will need to be flashed, which I have not been able to have done up until recently.

I was going to go the route of our saviour on this thread MMAL - but I'm anxious to hear what you have!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called my dealer... the module for the acadia is P/N 15806901... Im not sure that it will just plug into the wiring harness....that remains to be seen...Ill let ya know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you even need to do any cutting if you are adding the camera to a 2008? Is the rear door plate the same in all of them whether there is a camera or not?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
schaefsn said:
Do you even need to do any cutting if you are adding the camera to a 2008? Is the rear door plate the same in all of them whether there is a camera or not?
You would have to cut into the bottom of chrome GMC piece on the '08 just like mmal4 did on his '07. I've looked - there is no hole there for the backup camera.

Also, even if you bought the camera module, you'd have to have the correct wiring harnesses to connect to it. Who knows what part numbers those are? If you really want the OEM camera, it looks like mmal4's "Radio Shack" solution is the ticket so you don't have to mess with the camera module.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am wondering if the wiring harness addition is already there in the 2008? It seems that it would cost more money to manufacture multiple wiring harnesses and choose the right one each time than it would to install the single harness and not use all of the pieces. I know that is how it was on my Jeep. Just a thought.

Let me know when you take the back door apart to find out ;D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I can't imagine that the wiring will be there when the camera module isn't, but I'll sure let you know if I find anything! I'm gettting close to deciding whether to add the OEM navigation or an aftermarket system, so I actually might be tearing the hatch apart in the next couple weeks to add a backup camera.

Of course, that assumes I'll be smart enough to recognize it if it's there, and I'm not exactly a wiring expert....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am going to do some research as well. Post if you learn something and I will do the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
loach said:
I can't imagine that the wiring will be there when the camera module isn't, but I'll sure let you know if I find anything! I'm gettting close to deciding whether to add the OEM navigation or an aftermarket system, so I actually might be tearing the hatch apart in the next couple weeks to add a backup camera.

Of course, that assumes I'll be smart enough to recognize it if it's there, and I'm not exactly a wiring expert....
Actually, the factory wiring probably IS there. Coming from the Avalanche site, one thing the General does is make all the wiring harnesses the same. That way even if you wanted to add factory items AFTER the fact, you could and most would be plug-n-play (with some BCM software updates). You'ld be surprized what's already wired up in there. (If you didn't get Factory Nav but wanted it, there plenty of take-offs on eBay that are ready to go.)

And sorry for threadjacking this, but we got the GMX320 (going to install tomorrow). I'm going to hook up the factory camera, but I was wondering if anyone has also installed a FRONT OR SIDE camera? One problem I'm finding is that most of the rear view cameras REVERSE the image so it would look like you're looking thru your mirror. I've already checked Radio Shack, Norvac's, and eBay, but didn't come up with anything for sure yet. I don't know if that reverse image is setable (ie Normal or Reverse).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this has been discussed before but I haven't seen a clear answer yet.....

Has anyone been able to have the dealer successfully reprogram the nav radio to recognize an aftermarket rear camera?

I showed the dealer the the CoastalETech procedure - which they generally ignored. They plugged the car into their computer, went through the update steps, clicked on something about rear camera, and said "that should do it". Twice.

i now have the camera installed along with the coastaletech 320. everything works great EXCEPT for the camera. (the camera does work...the installer had it working on the AUX input temporarily).

Please help. Or even tell me this is not possible and i need some other component.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
schaefsn said:
I am wondering if the wiring harness addition is already there in the 2008? It seems that it would cost more money to manufacture multiple wiring harnesses and choose the right one each time than it would to install the single harness and not use all of the pieces. I know that is how it was on my Jeep. Just a thought.

Let me know when you take the back door apart to find out ;D
Well, I took it apart last weekend to install my backup camera. Didn't see any extra wiring harnesses inside the hatch unfortunately.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you happen to look in the left rear jack storage area. There's a small box down in the bottom left that has a harness assy that includes the Camera wire (green wire). See if that's there.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
chavey said:
Did you happen to look in the left rear jack storage area. There's a small box down in the bottom left that has a harness assy that includes the Camera wire (green wire). See if that's there.
That's the camera module referred to earlier in this thread. It isn't there on Acadias that weren't ordered with the factory navigation. I've looked in the rear jack compartments of Acadias sitting side-by-side at the dealership as well as my own. '08 Acadias with nav have the box, while those without nav don't have it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
From my understanding, no one has had success with having the nav unit flashed. I purchased the PAC unit ($259.99) and the Sanyo CCA-BC200 camera ($246.88). This camera has three viewing angles which can be selected by the driver, one eliminates the fish-eye view all together. With the Sanyo camera (12V), all you have to do is run the camera wire to the supplied interface box and from the interface to the PAC unit. Using a multimeter, I located the green reverse wire and (+12V) yellow accessory wire under the driver side console. I was able to install the PAC unit and Sanyo camera in under 2 hours, from start to finish. I mounted my camera in the center of the vehicle instead of off angle. I will post pictures soon.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
rae0568 said:
From my understanding, no one has had success with having the nav unit flashed. I purchased the PAC unit ($259.99) and the Sanyo CCA-BC200 camera ($246.88). This camera has three viewing angles which can be selected by the driver, one eliminates the fish-eye view all together. With the Sanyo camera (12V), all you have to do is run the camera wire to the supplied interface box and from the interface to the PAC unit. Using a multimeter, I located the green reverse wire and (+12V) yellow accessory wire under the driver side console. I was able to install the PAC unit and Sanyo camera in under 2 hours, from start to finish. I mounted my camera in the center of the vehicle instead of off angle. I will post pictures soon.
I think no one with an '07 has had success having the nav unit flashed. Several of us with '08s have had it done, including me. The PAC unit definitely sounds like the only viable answer for '07 owners.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts