GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi GUys!

I am about to buy an SLT2 with all the options except the NAVI unit....i am thinking about installing this multimedia head unit in it's place...

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc.../MAX675VD/us-en-product-pf_1165294767357.html

Do you guys think that the rear audio controls and the steering wheel mounted controls will work with it?
Also are there other functions that are integrated into the navi unit, such as HVAC?

Thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Evoman,
My questions and comments would be the following.
1-will the box fit in the space available?
2-agree with your question about if it will function with the steering wheel and rear audio controls and drive the 5.1 the same as the GM unit. Don't know the answer.
3-looks like it has more functions than the GM unit.
4-looks like a GREAT iPod integration interface. (I'm waiting to add that feature myself.)
5-I have GM NAV and to the best of my knowledge, there aren't any functions in the unit for HVAC.

Curious, what's the cost differential between the Clarion unit and the GM unit?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Evoman,
My questions and comments would be the following.
1-will the box fit in the space available?
2-agree with your question about if it will function with the steering wheel and rear audio controls and drive the 5.1 the same as the GM unit. Don't know the answer.
3-looks like it has more functions than the GM unit.
4-looks like a GREAT iPod integration interface. (I'm waiting to add that feature myself.)
5-I have GM NAV and to the best of my knowledge, there aren't any functions in the unit for HVAC.

Curious, what's the cost differential between the Clarion unit and the GM unit?
The price difference is alot....the clarion is about 1200USD where as the GM Navi is about 2000+ !!
I think that alpine makes the Navi unit in the GMC...please correct if i am wrong?

Oh here is the answer to my question! But it does not list the Acadia as supported....

http://www.peripheralelectronics.co...=Steering Wheel Control Interfaces&strSearch=

I think that if it works for 2007 GM NAvi systems then it should work for the acadia...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to do this for a few hundred $$ savings, you will be losing functionality, warranty, and gaining a fairly substantial headache in getting this to work somewhat correctly

1- You mention you are getting all the options, so you are getting the 5.1 DD with rear DVD? Then you will be pulling that head unit out ? How do you know this thing will drive the DVD? You know the rear DVD is in the head unit, right? If you are not getting the DVD system, you are really losing out with the sound system. My wife and I are completely blown away by the stereo in our SLT2 with DVD.

2- HUD... Guarantee this thing won't be putting your NAV through the HUD like all the other SLT2 kiddies out there with factory NAV and HUD.

3- OnStar .... How is this thing going to interface with OnStar? The OnStar TurnbyTurn comes though the head unit. That is included on SLT2 for a year. Other OnStar functionality (primarily phone usage) all goes through the head unit.

Dude, if you want to cut some corners to save some $$, then cut HID and the rear audio controls and spring for the factory NAV.

Don't count on if it says that it supports 2007 GM NAVI, because the Acadia is not the other vehicles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mitchl said:
I don't understand why you would want to do this for a few hundred $$ savings, you will be losing functionality, warranty, and gaining a fairly substantial headache in getting this to work somewhat correctly

1- You mention you are getting all the options, so you are getting the 5.1 DD with rear DVD? Then you will be pulling that head unit out ? How do you know this thing will drive the DVD? You know the rear DVD is in the head unit, right? If you are not getting the DVD system, you are really losing out with the sound system. My wife and I are completely blown away by the stereo in our SLT2 with DVD.

2- HUD... Guarantee this thing won't be putting your NAV through the HUD like all the other SLT2 kiddies out there with factory NAV and HUD.

3- OnStar .... How is this thing going to interface with OnStar? The OnStar TurnbyTurn comes though the head unit. That is included on SLT2 for a year. Other OnStar functionality (primarily phone usage) all goes through the head unit.

Dude, if you want to cut some corners to save some $$, then cut HID and the rear audio controls and spring for the factory NAV.

Don't count on if it says that it supports 2007 GM NAVI, because the Acadia is not the other vehicles.
Hey Mitchl,

I am not doing this only because of the costs savings, i just dont really like the GM NAVI unit that much....it is an OK system, I think the clarion is better because it has more functions....such as true IPOD intergration, HDD based NAVI, 30 GB hdd to store music and play videos, better resolution touchscreen, etc...read up on it, it is a really nice system!

1- I am getting it fully loaded minus the NAVI/REAR DVD entertainment system....
2- It probably wont display the NAVI directions through the HUD
3- I dont really care for On-star...i wish they would not force it on us
4- i like the HID and rear audio controls!

I dont mind going through the trouble if I will gain satisfaction from my Acadia....I love modding things and voiding the warranty....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts