GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on a GM-Trucks.com forum:

QUOTE (07crewsierra @ Mar 16 2009, 11:18 AM) *
here are the parts you need to add factory bluetooth to your 07 or 08, sierra silverado, yukon, yukon xl, tahoe, suburban, acadia, and enclave.

vcim # 20783877
antenna # 15938939
steering wheel switch # 25851951

07crewsierra Mar 17 2009, 06:28 PM
I know for sure you can add bluetooth to the vehicles I listed before, because I work at a GMC dealership and have done it. you will need to replace your VCIM with the new one and add the antenna that just plugs into it and have it programmed at your dealer, then it can take up to 24 hours for your onstar to reactivate that is if you still have an onstar subscription. you really dont have to change the steering wheel buttons if you dont want the only difference is that they have a picture of a phone, I did because they are under $30 for the buttons.[/color]

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t78031.html

Not sure if this is accurate but looks good :thumb:.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone make an aftermarket conversion kit to make Onstar into bluetooth? I don't subscribe to Onstar anyway, so I'd rather just have bluetooth.

It looks like replacing the VCIM might be pricey - how much is it? And it involves a trip to the dealer, right?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
That's the first I've heard of that place. I know Coastal Tech makes something similar for $129 along with the Lockpick device for nav and DVD use while in motion. Their device shows as compatible with the 2008-09 Acadia- it's at the bottom of the page.

I'd send an email or make a call to verify it will work with your application, and be sure to get something in writing as to what the return policy is if it is not compatible.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
blue2008 said:
I googled "onstar bluetooth" and looks like I found what should work in the Acadia! Has anyone seen this? Anyone have one? Is it easy to install? I'm thinking of buying one...

This was what I found: http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html
Note this disclaimer:

Note: Installing the BlueSTAR or BlueSTAR PnP requires disconnecting your onstar communications module. Once disconnected, you will not have any onstar capabilities, including emergency assistance.

Some folks won't care, but it will be a deal-breaker for others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I looked up the Coastal Tech adapter and it's just an adapter that helps you put an aftermarket kit in your car - but there's still a bunch of wiring, and you still have the aftermarket keypad and microphone. And in googling coastal, I see that they have a really BAD reputation for customer service.

I emailed costartech, and they say that it'll work in the acadia, and that they have a 60 day money-back guarantee. Looking around on the web, it I only hear nothing but good things about them. The onstar module is located by the jack, and they say it's about a 5 minute installation. So I bought one. I should have it this week, and I'll post how it goes...

I had the free Onstar for a year, never used it. Now that I've had the car over a year, I'd actually prefer to disconnect it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update:

I installed the Bluestar PNP from Costartech.com, and it works well.

Took about 5 minutes to install - the Onstar module is located in the rear left corner where the spare tire jack is - I reached in, unplugged it, plugged the harness into the Bluestar, tie-wrapped it in place, and was all done. There are no keypads, no wires to run, nothing. It uses the stock Onstar hardware that comes with the car.

Paired it to my Samsung phone, and it works! I can place calls using the vioce recognition that my phone has - just by pressing the mouth button on the steering wheel or the phone button on the mirror. The radio mutes, and the sound from the phone comes over the car's speakers. It uses the Onstar mic, so people on the other end have been saying that I sound like I'm on a landline phone - way better than the cell phone itself.

When the phone rings, the radio mutes and it plays a tone over the car's speakers. It's really a great setup - if you're looking to add bluetotth to your '07 or '08 - or if your '09 didn't come with it, this is the way to go!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Once you install this are you still able to use the ONSTAR? I checked the website and I don't think you can.

·
Registered
158 Posts
insti08 said:
Once you install this are you still able to use the ONSTAR? I checked the website and I don't think you can.
No, site says OnStar won't work. Dealbreaker for me, unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Same here, I'm just going to put the Acadia number on the Verizon family plan.

·
Registered
635 Posts
insti08 said:
Same here, I'm just going to put the Acadia number on the Verizon family plan.
As a suggestion because I don't know how much you talk on the phone in the car, adding to the verizon plan is going to cost $120 a year. Last time I looked it was like $40 for 100 minutes through Onstar for minutes. Do you use more than 300 minutes in the car? If not it would be cheaper to use the onstar minutes. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I will check out how many minutes I use and compare, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't know if anyone here has attempted this in a Lambda yet, but I'm bumping this old thread because I have started down the path of retrofitting OEM bluetooth to my '08 as described in the 1st post in this thread. I bought a new VCIM and bluetooth antenna on eBay. I ordered the steering wheel controls from gmpartsdirect. I've received the VCIM and and confirmed the part number, then shipped it to a guy who offers to reprogram the unit to your VIN# and update the software to make it plug and play in your '08 vehicle. Then all you have to do is plug in the new box, call Onstar and tell them your VCIM has been replaced and they will synch up your account to the new box. From the research I've done, it looks like Onstar vehicle diagnostics will no longer work for the engine and transmission codes due to the model year mismatch, but the other diagnostics and other Onstar services will work (not sure about Onstar turn-by-turn directions but I don't care because I don't subscribe to that).

Between the parts, programming, and shipping costs, I'm going to be into this project for about $400. Yes, it's pricey - but not as pricey as trading my '08 Acadia for a '10 with bluetooth! Yes, I could have just added an aftermarket bluetooth kit using my GMX lockpick probably for about $150, but that would have meant mounting the bluetooth controller on the dash and a microphone probably on the rearview mirror. This is my wife's car and she wants everything to look and work like OEM. And we all know if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

If you are interested in attempting this project yourself, the toughest thing will be locating a bluetooth VCIM. GM has apparently restricted sales of these units to only filling orders resulting from theft or accident to bluetooth-equipped vehicles. If you try to order one from a dealer or someplace like gmpartsdirect, they will require a VIN # from a bluetooth-equipped vehicle and proof of an insurance claim. Otherwise, the order will be rejected. Somehow the eBay seller that I bought from got a couple dozen new units and sold them in about 2 days. He still has bluetooth units listed for sale, but they are a different part # 20827036 and I don't know if that part will work. Other people have been successful finding used units from scrapped vehicles, but those also appear to be few and far between.

Some other aftermarket bluetooth alternatives that I passed on:

Scosche Bluefusion - works through connection to the XM module, but I'm already using that connection for my Scosche AXIPGMLAN iPod interface.

PAC-Audio BLU-GM29 - eliminates the need for the aftermarket bluetooth controller by using steering wheel controls as described in another recent thread. But it's a T-harness into the radio and my GMX-320 lockpick is already a T-harness into the radio. I don't think daisy-chaining T-harnesses from different manufacturers together is a very good plan. Also, this product still requires you to use the microphone from your aftermarket bluetooth kit.

Costar Bluestar 2010 - requires you to disconnect Onstar box. Not an option for me because wife likes the security of Onstar Safe and Sound services.

I will report back with results and a write-up when I complete my project. It will probably be a few weeks before I get my VCIM back from the programmer, because he is slammed with orders for this service right now.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
So I wonder why GM is restricting sales of the VCIM; is there a parts shortage or is there some other reason?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
AA/78U-Blue Gold said:
So I wonder why GM is restricting sales of the VCIM; is there a parts shortage or is there some other reason?
Probably because they know the '09 VCIM will not work as designed in an '08 vehicle without some programming modifications. And they don't want their dealers having to deal with clowns like me who put in bluetooth VCIMs that potentially screw up their electronics. And they'd rather sell you Onstar minutes. If they were smart, they would just design/program a bluetooth retrofit VCIM kit themselves and probably sell them like hotcakes. But we're talking about a company that just went bankrupt and took a $60 billion bailout here so......

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I see your point; although how many people are going to go through the trouble of shelling out $400 to retrofit their early model Lambda's with Bluetooth? I hope your project is a success :thumb:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
AA/78U-Blue Gold said:
I see your point; although how many people are going to go through the trouble of shelling out $400 to retrofit their early model Lambda's with Bluetooth? I hope your project is a success :thumb:
Hard to say, but based on the trouble many people are going through on the G8 and gm-trucks boards to do this without the benefit of an easy way to do it through their dealer, and the various aftermarket alternatives that are having some success in the marketplace, I'd say there's a lot of demand out there. The programmer says he's done hundreds of these already - looks like mostly on G8's but also on trucks/SUVs.

I think that demand is only going to go up as people buy new cars, and see what they've been missing on their remaining older vehicles - I'm an example of that. I never gave bluetooth much thought until I bought my new Murano. I like it so much that I knew I'd add it to my Acadia one way or another.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Well, I got my VCIM back from the programmer yesterday. Now I just need some time and access to my wife's Acadia to install it. I will give it a try this weekend at the latest and report back.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Well, I received my VCIM back from White Automotive on Monday and finally had a chance to put it in this afternoon.

The good news: Bluetooth works fine.
The bad news: Onstar doesn't.

The VCIM is a major bee-otch to remove and replace in the Acadia. It is located in the upper area of the rear jack compartment on the driver's side of the vehicle. It's held in by a very tight clip and there is virtually no room to reach up in there and work. It took me about 40 minutes to figure out how it was being held in and then getting enough pressure on the clip to release it. Unfortunately, that turned out to be the easy part. I could not get my hands to an angle to apply enough pressure to pop the new VCIM in its place. I ended up having to remove the entire rear trim panel on that side of the vehicle so I could attack it from above. That required removing D-pillar airbag cover and the rear cargo organizer, disconnecting the power lifgate arm and unbolting/removing one of the 3rd row seats. After all that, I was able to pop the VCIM in place because I could get one hand in from above and one from below - used one to put pressure on the clip and the other to push the VCIM in.

Struggled a little bit setting up the bluetooth but finally figured it out. I need to say "Onstar" before saying "bluetooth" or "dial", etc. on mine apparently because I have the navigation system. Made a couple test calls and all was well.

Noticed right away that the Onstar light on my rearview mirror was red - bad sign. If the programming from White Auto had been successful, I believe it should have been green. Tried to call Onstar using the blue button. It beeped for about 6-7 minutes, then I gave up. Tried the red emergency button and it eventually connected. I told them it was not an emergency but it was the only button that worked and I needed technical support. They transferred me to a tech support guy who seemed to know what he was doing. He immediately asked me what color the light was on the rearview mirror and I told him the truth - red. He immediately told me there was still a problem with my VCIM (he assumed it had been replaced due to defect by a dealer and I played along) and that I would have to return to the dealer. I asked if he could try to link it to my account anyway and he agreed to try it. After 2-3 minutes of beeping, he returned to the line and indicated that he received an error message that my VCIM was not compatible with my make and model year - 2008 GMC Acadia - really bad sign.

I just emailed White Auto to see what I should do - hopefully Chris White will have some ideas. This is a deal-breaker issue for me as my wife really loves Onstar. If I can't get Onstar working properly, I'm afraid I may have wasted $125 + shipping on the programming. And my VCIM may soon be for sale.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
All that labor to find out it's the wrong VCIM :sosad: are you holding out for word from White or are you going to reinstall the operational VCIM?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts