GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got MYCARSTATS email this morning. Shows different complaints on the selected vehicle, of course mine is set up for the 2008 Acadia. Well here is one of the Complaints someone filed.. Could you imagine this happening.

CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10259179

Component: AIR BAGS:SIDE/WINDOW

Details: TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2008 GMC ACADIA. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE SIDE AIR BAGS SUDDENLY DEPLOYED AFTER TURNING THE VEHICLE AT APPROXIMATELY 2 MPH. THERE WERE NO WARNING INDICATORS PRIOR TO THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER AND THEY STATED THAT IT WOULD TAKE TWO WEEKS TO REPAIR. THE CONTACT WAS ON A TRIP AT THE TIME, SO SHE PUSHED THE AIR BAGS BACK IN AND CONTINUED DRIVING THE VEHICLE. SHE TOOK THE VEHICLE TO HER LOCAL DEALER AND HAD IT REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT BEEN NOTIFIED. THE CURRENT AND FAILURE MILEAGES WERE APPROXIMATELY 23,000.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
SURPRISE! :(

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would require a change of clothes I would think....

·
Super Moderator
22,590 Posts
I wonder what the Onstar folks thought about this!?? ???

·
Registered
428 Posts
Gotta love airbags. Theyre great when they work right, but can really hurt you when they deploy unexpectedly and without reason. It didnt say but I hope nobody got hurt.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
I wonder what the Onstar folks thought about this!?? ???
I'm not sure if side airbags will trigger Onstar. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
At least it was the side airbags and not the front ones. That would have given me a heart attack!

Would the airbags deploy like that in a slide? Could the car have slipped a little on the turn? I've never heard of that happening.

·
Registered
428 Posts
they are only supposed to deploy on a side impact. sounds like an airbag sensor malfunctioned

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
dfrank78 said:
they are only supposed to deploy on a side impact. sounds like an airbag sensor malfunctioned
Now I'm confused. I just saw the crash video and the side airbags deployed. Are these the same ones? I'm just having a hard time with this. I can't imagine them just deploying for no reason.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've videotaped air bag deployment and not only is it quick, if it's not needed it can be harmful. Even in slow motion it moves quickly. I didn't know you could still drive a car after an air bag deployment.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dfrank78 said:
I think the side airbags will deploy with as little of offset as 30 degrees from center. There are some videos out there that show this; the side airbags are roughly 1/4 to 1/2 second delayed from the front airbags

1 - 11 of 11 Posts