GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We are giving you advice: The mechanics that you have taken it to thus far have failed to properly diagnose the vehicle and return it to service after a large amount of time and money spent. Therefore, it would be prudent to find a more qualified mechanic and/or take it to a GMC dealership.

All anyone on the internet can do is speculate what the problem is — none of us can fix your vehicle — and our suggestions, though perhaps helpful, could ultimately lead to additional parts bring thrown at the problem.

okay, but I don't see where you have offered real advice other then 2 comments that would actually help me, the rest was judgmental comments that are not offering me any help. Yes, everything that needed to be replaced when it was starting has been replaced and was driving fine for one day, then it cut off and hasn't started back up. so its something entirely different from the first time i had it diagnosed

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Yes engine light was currently on the last time i was able to fully start the vehicle. And yes I thought of that last nite about having it ran again, so going to see if I can get someone over here with a machine to hook it up since I have done all the misfire work on it. current milage is 145,244. Im not sure how to properly answer the question about cranking. When i turn the key it seems to want to try to start but will not.
When you turn the key, is the engine actually turning over?

Do you know the history of the vehicle? Have the timing chains ever been replaced?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
When you turn the key, is the engine actually turning over?

Do you know the history of the vehicle? Have the timing chains ever been replaced?
I absolutely hate admitting this but I just purchased the vehicle from a private sale a week ago. Not sure of the history of the vehicle other the what she told me which wasn't much and obviously was wrong. As far as the timing chain I was actually just thinking about it, to my knowledge it hasn't been replaced, therefore I'm thinking it may have jumped timing, but cant currently locate the timing chain, bc I'm learning were it is at. I've contacted the old owners to ask them about it but haven't received a message back yet.

·
Super Moderator
21,272 Posts
very rude, its guys like you that make women like me not trust a **** thing a man says. Im here honestly trying to just figure out what is wrong with my vehicle and all you got are jokes. ...
What I wrote was directed at someone else, not to you. It seems you were mislead from the start ... before you came here.

The timing chains (there are 3 of them) are behind a cover on the front (passenger side) of the engine. There's nothing to visualize without 'major' disassembly. Did you hear any abnormal noises from the engine when it shut down, or did it just die? An engine 'jumping time' will usually give some audible indication that something is wrong. An electronic failure wil just shut things down. It would be helpful if you provided a list of codes the scanner detected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What I wrote was directed at someone else, not to you. It seems you were mislead from the start ... before you came here.

The timing chains (there are 3 of them) are behind a cover on the front (passenger side) of the engine. There's nothing to visualize without 'major' disassembly. Did you hear any abnormal noises from the engine when it shut down, or did it just die? An engine 'jumping time' will usually give some audible indication that something is wrong. An electronic failure wil just shut things down. It would be helpful if you provided a list of codes the scanner detected.

No I did not hear anything when it died. I was at a stop light and when I went to take off as I turned it just cut off and wouldn't restart. I was thinking the same thing about a warning noise. I had a Chrysler Pacifica that just cut off and the timing chain broke, but before it just cut off I heard a snap then flap noise. Someone else told me it seemed like an electrical issue. I am, currently looking for the paper print out that the auto part store gave me so I can give the codes.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I absolutely hate admitting this but I just purchased the vehicle from a private sale a week ago. Not sure of the history of the vehicle other the what she told me which wasn't much and obviously was wrong. As far as the timing chain I was actually just thinking about it, to my knowledge it hasn't been replaced, therefore I'm thinking it may have jumped timing, but cant currently locate the timing chain, bc I'm learning were it is at. I've contacted the old owners to ask them about it but haven't received a message back yet.
Timing chains are internal. They are not externally visible. 145k miles would be a lot on the original chains.

This is what it looks like under the covers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very frustrated, and in need of desperate help. I have a 2010 GMC Acadia. Service engine light on, and diagnostic is coming back with several misfire codes. Replaced battery, starter, all 6 coils, spark plugs, 2 of the 3 O2 sensors, mass air flow sensor and it still wont start. The other day I was stopped at a stop light, and when it became green, I started to take of and the Acadia just turned off out of now were and I havent been able to get it to start ever since. We have tried the process of elimination, and now it is getting to expensive for me to keep replacing parts. Can someone please help me try to figure this out?
Look on YOU TUBE there is a post that they find a problem in the wiring down under the air filter in the wiring harness that will cause the car not to start

·
Registered
2012 GMC Acadia SLT
8 Posts
Very frustrated, and in need of desperate help. I have a 2010 GMC Acadia. Service engine light on, and diagnostic is coming back with several misfire codes. Replaced battery, starter, all 6 coils, spark plugs, 2 of the 3 O2 sensors, mass air flow sensor and it still wont start. The other day I was stopped at a stop light, and when it became green, I started to take of and the Acadia just turned off out of now were and I havent been able to get it to start ever since. We have tried the process of elimination, and now it is getting to expensive for me to keep replacing parts. Can someone please help me try to figure this out?
Hi Christine, I had similar problems with my 2012 Acadia. Lots of codes being thrown out (check stabilitrak) . It died while I was at a stop light and luckily a couple of guys were nice enough to push me out of the middle of a busy street till the tow truck arrived. I very faintly could smell what kinda smelled like burned electrical wires, but nobody else said they smelled that. Took it (towed it) to half a dozen shops and was getting the runaround and screwed throwing lots of $$$ at it. I took it to the dealership. Their diagnostic fee is about $175. Turns out the timing belt slipped and that blew the engine. Piston was shaped like a boomerang!! I too had replaced fuel injectors, battery, the entire catalytic system, ECM, and all the O 2 sensors. It was a pain in the ***!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you change the Battery? if not you might want to do that first before anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First of all to you rude and condescending pricks, not everyone can afford to take their vehicle to the dealer! Second, this is supposed to be a place for exactly the the type of questions and help the women was asking. Why all the rude and snide remarks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can understand your frustration, I have an 08, currently dealing with misfire in cylinder 2. It's going to my mechanic on my next day off. Throws code P0302..

Mine starts and runs fine until I get to a light and idle... Then the misfire begins. I did everything I know to do..New plugs.. then switched plug/coil pack to cylinder 4 to see if the misfire followed.. and threw P0304.. It didn't.

Plugs are brand new and not oil fouled or dirty.

So off to Kopf's Auto Repair in West Melbourne.
Once fixed will post the cause.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Did you change the Battery? if not you might want to do that first before anything.
Yes list as follows of what I have replaced, not all of it was from it not wanting to start, engine light was on before and it was throwing codes for misfire so I replaced all that
*6 coils
*6 plugs
*upstream sensor
*downstream sensor
*mass air flow sensor
(Misfire reapairs☝)

Since it just cut off no sign, sound nothing just cut off:

*battery
*starter
*fuel pump fuse
*fuel relay

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
First of all to you rude and condescending pricks, not everyone can afford to take their vehicle to the dealer! Second, this is supposed to be a place for exactly the the type of questions and help the women was asking. Why all the rude and snide remarks?
I'm sure she found this post very helpful. :)

BTW, sometime the best advice is to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good evening. Just to be clear, when you turn the key to start the vehicle do you hear the car attempting to start in any way such as spinning over as if out of gas? Or do you just hear a clicking noise and nothing else?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Good evening. Just to be clear, when you turn the key to start the vehicle do you hear the car attempting to start in any way such as spinning over as if out of gas? Or do you just hear a clicking noise and nothing else?
It's not just clicking, sounds as if it wants to start, but its dragging. Let me see if I can attach the sounds i recorded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m not being inconsiderate and I’m not saying you’re out of gas. I’m trying to get a grasp as to what it sounds like which might give me some idea as to whether the starter is fully engaging or not. If you let me I’ll do my best to help you narrow your problem down but you have to be my eyes and ears. I promise not to intentionally insult your intelligence. In fact I’m impressed that you reached out for help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited by Moderator)
I’m not being inconsiderate and I’m not saying you’re out of gas. I’m trying to get a grasp as to what it sounds like which might give me some idea as to whether the starter is fully engaging or not. If you let me I’ll do my best to help you narrow your problem down but you have to be my eyes and ears. I promise not to intentionally insult your intelligence. In fact I’m impressed that you reached out for help.
Okay for sure my apologies, its been extremely rough process because, well I'm a women and I have had a few inconsiderate men up here thinking I don't know what I'm talking about or saying. No I'm not certified by no means, and I defiantly don't know no more then the next, but I do come from a family of mechanics (back yard and certified) so i do know a lot or enough about vehicles, but this one here has me absolutely stumped. And trust me reaching out and asking for help was the absolute last resort:cautious:, But I'm kind at a point that I think is above my knowledge. Anyway, it has a brand new starter in it, the tow truck driver that towed it for me told me he thought the starter went out and that was the cause of it not wanting to start, so i replaced a starter that didn't need replacing:(:mad:

21 - 40 of 66 Posts