GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer told me that part of the good mileage rating for this large vehicle was because the coefficient of drag or wind resistance was less than that of a Corvette. This was after I already bought the car. Am I being naive or is there some truth to this tidbit?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Truth, .034 I believe. :thumb:

·
Registered
322 Posts
That is correct! :thumb:

Kirk Bennion, C6 and the Lambda designer, did a great job on this vehicle.

They spent MANY thousands of hours in the wind tunnel to get it right...

Adam

·
Registered
10 Posts
just because the 2 vehicles have the same coefficient of drag doesn't mean that the Acadia is as aerodynamic as a Corvette. The drag coefficient means nothing unless you multiply it times the frontal area of the vehicle.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I could do a lot of jokes with the last line of that sentence :angel: But the coefficient is still very impressive. One thing not many people have mentioned is how "clean" the underside of the car is. Ok, so I have spent a lot of time down there looking at exhausts, but it is extremely smooth.

·
Registered
403 Posts
However, I bet if you pushed an Acadia and a Corvette downhill at the same time, side by side, the Acadia would win! (Something for MythBusters to work on.) :eek:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just for the record...

The Corvette Z06 has a .34 co-efficient

The standard Corvette has a .29.

The fatter tires, additional air scoops, wider fenders and higher downforces of the Z06 create the higher drag.

The GM EV-1 had a .195! That is amazing. GM knows how to lower drag on it's vehicles! I believe the EV-1 holds the record for the lowest drag of any wheeled vehicle you could purchase from a dealership. There have been lower numbers but those were on prototypes and concept vehicles.

I cannot find another CUV/SUV with a lower drag than the Lambda's...another huge benefit for us. More fuel efficient and the lower drag make the vehicle quieter on the inside along with all kinds of other benefits...

·
Registered
80 Posts
joetz is right. The drag coefficient they are quoting is a "drag ratio" which includes consideration of the living-room-sized box that we're pushing into the wind. ...and Craven, If you drop off your Corvette, I'll be happy to run that test for you :>)

I do agree with sandman though....that it's an impressive figure. It is also impressive that they have paid attention to these kinds of details and it is apparent that they have done this with every subsystem on the vehicle. I remain impressed with the Acaida and with the Lambda Design Team!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Cravenfan, it wouldn't even be a contest. If you remember the ol F=MA rule. IF the force is the same, then the mass is what's important for Acceleration. I think the Acadia will win that hands down.
PS, I love the Mythbusters. I regularly tape that and show it to my science classes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Now if only GM would invest the R&D like they did with the Lambdas and spread that out over to all their vehicle platforms...oooohhh my.

·
Registered
425 Posts
sandman said:
Cravenfan, it wouldn't even be a contest. If you remember the ol F=MA rule. IF the force is the same, then the mass is what's important for Acceleration. I think the Acadia will win that hands down.
PS, I love the Mythbusters. I regularly tape that and show it to my science classes.
Sorry to get a bit OT, but what channel is Mythbusters on (Discovery, National Geographic, History)? I love this sort of stuff.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discovery. You can also go online to get their downloads, etc. at discovery.com then go to discovery channel.
Some of the stuff they have done with cars was priceless. One of my favorites was when they stacked rockets on top of a car for better acceleration. I figure if I can't get a turbo in the Acadia, maybe I'll try that :blob:

Actually, this link is better and easier to use to find when a specific show is on TV - http://mythbustersresults.com/tvschedule/

·
Registered
53 Posts
sandman said:

Actually the a is constant = acceleration due to gravity, but the mass is larger on the Acadia so the bigger mass will exert more F force which produces are larger resultant force vector down the hill and thus more acceleration of the object.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ya, you're right. F=MA is better used to compare say a bullet shot to a baseball thrown and the resulting impact.
P=MV (where p is = to momentum in kg m/sec) might be more accurate? But I've got a feeling if we keep this discussion going we may get tossed off the forum

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes, didn't want to go into too much detail. ;D Or, you could also say that the Acadia would beat the Corvette going uphill in the mud! :thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cravenfan said:
Yes, didn't want to go into too much detail. ;D Or, you could also say that the Acadia would beat the Corvette going uphill in the mud! :thumb:

Very good point... and it will do it with lots more sheets of plywood in the back too! :banana:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cravenfan said:
However, I bet if you pushed an Acadia and a Corvette downhill at the same time, side by side, the Acadia would win! (Something for MythBusters to work on.) :eek:
MythBusters did this with a Vette versus Hot Wheel cars. Vette won.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts