GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, a lot of thoughts can run through your head when you wait, and wait, for your Acadia on order...

We are starting to compare the Acadia to the Yukon Denali...(I cannot confirm if the Acadia Denali will be out soon as an 2008 model or next year as a 2009 model.)

Right now, with current incentives, and if Conquest Cash is still good, you can get a Yukon Denali with all options for about $5,000 more than a loaded Acadia.

With the Denali, you get...
- a powerful V8
- Nice wood trim and wood steering wheel
- rear view camera

Downside...
- no fold flat third row seats
- fuel economy

So, is there a compelling reason not to buy the Denali?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Absolutely! I doesn't have the styling of the Acadia! That's the reason!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but now we are stepping into subjective areas...

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think it depends on what your needs really are. We do not tow anything to really speak of, so a full size SUV is overkill. I would rather have the fuel economy savings, more 3rd row space, and $5K in my pocket.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was just about to type what Zman just posted. My sentiments exactly. Plus the Acadia styling. Yukon is just too boxy on the outside for me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
BloodRedHog said:
OK, a lot of thoughts can run through your head when you wait, and wait, for your Acadia on order...

We are starting to compare the Acadia to the Yukon Denali...(I cannot confirm if the Acadia Denali will be out soon as an 2008 model or next year as a 2009 model.)

Right, now with current incentives, and if Conquest Cash is still good, you can get a Yukon Denali with all options for about $5,000 more than a loaded Acadia.

With the Denali, you get...
- a powerful V8
- Nice wood trim and wood steering wheel
- rear view camera

Downside...
- no fold flat third row seats
- fuel economy

So, is there a compelling reason not to buy the Denali?
Waiting sucks doesn't it :banghead: The choice for me on whether
to consider a Yukon or an Acadia came down to a couple of things:

1. Operating costs. The difference in fuel economy between the Yukon
and the Acadia is not minor and was a major factor in deciding to drop
the Yukon from consideration.

2. Towing. The most I will ever tow will be around 2500 lbs, so the Acadia
will do just fine. Unless you know you have to pull more than the Acadia
can handle, I would stick with the Acadia.

Besides, the Acadaia has a nicer butt :clap:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
If you need the third row of seats, be wary of the Yukon. The seat essentially sits on the floor. I spent a couple of hours in the third row of a 2007 Yukon a couple of weeks ago (on a business trip), and found it very uncomfortable.

Kelly

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both vehicles and I love my Denali and it has been a great truck. I really thought that topping the Denali would be herd to do, but then I drove the Acadia. Maybe this will help, if you asked me which car I would choose to drive on a particular day 9 out of 10 times it would be the Acadia.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm trading my Yukon Denali in on an Acadia.

Gas mileage on Yukon Denali is 9 city, 14 highway. Back seats are very heavy to move around, and aren't very easy to take in and out. Then you have to store some place when you are not using them.

I have had 6 Black Yukon Denalis, bought a new one every year, but I have decided to move on to the Acadia and just wish mine would come in..........

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that the Acadia doesn't come in Black.......so I chose the Carbon Metallic instead. My friends will not believe it when they see me in something other than Black...........

·
Registered
8 Posts
We tried the Yukon and it just can't compare with the ride of the Acadia. The MPG should be a real eye opener for everyone. The ease of entry to the 3rd seat really sold it for us.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I never bothered to test drive the Yukon since we drove the Acadia first and loved it, but everyone I've heard that have compared the two say the acadia also drives, handles and generally just feels MUCH better and more stable that the Yukon as well. It's the difference between body-on-frame (truck) platform and Acadia's unibody (car) underpinnings.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Love the style and power of the Denali, but for real world use, the rear seating comfort and adaptability is awful as is cargo space with all seats in place, and as expected, it's a refined truck but no match for the Acadia's driving dynamics overall. This is coming from a Suburban owner, so I'm more than familiar with the "big" GM trucks, and anymore, especially after testing out a new Acadia and new Yukon side by side, liked both but could not fathom how much more expensive the Yukon was for a less sophisticated truck platform, thirstier engine (which, with the added weight, is no stronger from a driver perspective than the Acadia's V6 is in it), and just bad rear seating and cargo layout.

The new GM trucks look terrific, drive much better than even the last gen that we've already had 2 of, and I will always have a strong pull to them for many reasons, but everything else in me says to choose the Acadia (or any other Lambda) simply because it trumps a Yukon/Tahoe on so many aspects yet is also considerably less expensive. I'm clearly not alone, either, as even salesmen I've asked have said they started seeing Yukon and other large SUV trades coming in on the Lambdas, so finally it's clear there's a crossover package strong enough to make people do that.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I think if I wanted a true body on frame truck, it would be for off-road use. The Denali is nice (I had one for a while back in 2002), but it comes with AWD, not 4WD. No low range or transfer case. If I were to do it again, I would get the Tahoe or Yukon, not the Denali.

I decided I didn't really need the off-road capabilities. The Acadia fits the bill perfectly.

Kelly

·
Registered
50 Posts
IScubaSlo said:
I'm trading my Yukon Denali in on an Acadia.

Gas mileage on Yukon Denali is 9 city, 14 highway. Back seats are very heavy to move around, and aren't very easy to take in and out. Then you have to store some place when you are not using them.

I have had 6 Black Yukon Denalis, bought a new one every year, but I have decided to move on to the Acadia and just wish mine would come in..........

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that the Acadia doesn't come in Black.......so I chose the Carbon Metallic instead. My friends will not believe it when they see me in something other than Black...........
Only let them see it on the shadowed side. They'll think it's black. ;D

·
Registered
154 Posts
zman said:
I think it depends on what your needs really are. We do not tow anything to really speak of, so a full size SUV is overkill. I would rather have the fuel economy savings, more 3rd row space, and $5K in my pocket.
Also much better handling in the Acadia. But the first sentence is key.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I guess, we're spoiled :) but we have both an Acadia and a Yukon XL Denali.

The Acadia is mine - it's better on gas, and I commute every day. It's missing a few of the goodies that will no doubt be part of the Acadia Denali. BUT - it does give us the flexibility of a few more passengers, and can tow my trailer if/when needed.

The Denali XL is my wife's. That thing is a fabulous ride. Definitely a very different ride, but very nice. She has the 3 kids and the dog much more often than I do, plus the occasional friend (or friends) of the kids so she makes use of the space . Tows a lot more if needed (maybe 1x a year), and has a ton more space in the back. I removed the 3rd row maybe a half dozen times in our previous XL - not always necessary with the XL, but when you do it's a TON of space. I can mange it no problem; the wife had a hard time with the one-piece 3rd rows seat in her 2002, but the 2007 has a 50/50 split so you can more easily remove it. I could see why the "regular" Yukon would require you to remove the seat more often.

I probably wouldn't want to be an adult in EITHER 3rd row for a long trip, but we've routinely put 8 adults in the XL when we go out, and it works great. Have yet to put adults in the 3rd row of the Acadia, but before I bought I sized up all 3 rows - adjusted the driver seat for me (I'm 6'), then sat in the 2nd row and adjusted it, and then sat in the back - I was pleasantly surprised by just how much legroom there was in the 3rd row.

so, in a nutshell - all depends what you need it for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts