GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I hate is reading Consumer's Reports praise the imports and always knock down the GM cars - I'm just wondering how the Acadia/Outlook will fare. Yes, some of the GM interiors had a lot of cheap plastic in the past, but I think they have improved quite a bit. However, how come they never mention the fact that in Hondas, the owner must change the timing belt after 90,000 miles to the tune of $700 or more? The new Toyota Tundra has a timing belt as well, but nothing mentioned about the extra maintenance needed. In the GMs, you get a durable timing chain that's good for the life of the engine, not a cheap belt. Also, where the Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans fall short is in their body and chassis. The metal is really thin and dents easily. I've looked underneath at the suspension (for example the Lexus RX350 and Camry) and it's built so cheap that a big pothole will do serious damage.

The problem is perceived quality. I think GM needs to step up the marketing and mention on how well built their cars actually are - the lower maintenance, greater body strength, robust suspension, etc. Biased magazines like Consumer Reports aren't reporting the whole truth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I bought my Acadia a couple of weeks ago the owner of the dealership followed me in my other vehicle. When I was driving him back to the store we were talking about buying American vs. Japanese. I would never purchase anything but American. Sorry Pearl Harbor was not that long ago. He said that more Toyotas were recalled than sold last year though nothing is ever heard about it. He said the recalls were not small things but engine problems, etc. I believe alot of money is being spent to keep this fact quiet.
Kathy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm like you...would rather buy American when possible than an import ( although I would buy an import that was made in America if that was an option.) You're right on the import/recall issue. Have you heard about the problems with the new Tundras with the V8? They are having problems with breaking camshafts. And why don't we hear about THAT on the news.....

I owed a jeep before the wife and I bought the Acadia. I'm still warming up to it, but overall I do like it. She loves it (Can't get the keys from her to drive it) and feels safer in it than her car (Now my DD). I think GM did a good job designing this ride. Quality is up there in my opinion. Interior room is excellent (Im 6'7" and have to move the seat UP, not all the way back). My family has had many GM products. If we get the service out of this like the past GMs we've owned, it'll last to 200k+.

just my $.05 (inflation)

JB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts