GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have traded in your suburban for the acadia, how does the cargo space compare? can you actually fit a 4x8 sheet of anything in it when all the seats are down??

·
Registered
497 Posts
There are other threads on sheets of plywood in the Acadia. They fit with-wise, but the gate won't close. I think too long by about 3".

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not sure if your question revolves around plywood carrying capabilities specifically or a broader curiosity regarding cargo carrying ability.

I just traded in a 2002 Denali XL for my Acadia and while the cargo "numbers" are smaller for the Acadia, the overall practical space is better in my opinion. I always disliked the fact that the Denali's third seat never folded flat and had to be removed for maximum hauling capacity. If you ever tried that it was heavy and awkward... not practical at all. Overall I'm not wanting for more room in the new Acadia. So far I really like the Acadia... it's fun to drive.

Spelling Edit

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Not sure about the 4x8 but a friend took a tape and measured the Acadia compared to the Suburban and the numbers were very close.

·
Registered
752 Posts
no toastyz71, the sheets are too long, not wide. However with the back hatch door pulled down (can't do auto), they should only stick out 1 or 2 inches beyound the bumper.
I'm not sure how many you can stack up on top of each other, as the car gets narrow as you move up. Of course the thickness of the plywood comes into play here.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I'm constantly astonished by the sheer number of people needing to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood! In my 34 years on this planet, that's never come up even once for me, and I certainly wouldn't want to do it in my leather lined Acadia! LOL!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I don't know about the plywood, but this winter I threw a tarp inside mine and then put in our very dead christmas tree to haul away. It was so easy! Well actually, I wrapped the tree in the tarp inside the house to keep the needles off the floor, etc. But having the ability to drop those seats in about 30 seconds and toss everything inside was great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How about a coffin too? I've been thinking of saving some money on family funerals. ::)

·
Registered
681 Posts
morpheus said:
How about a coffin too? I've been thinking of saving some money on family funerals. ::)
Maybe that is why they are changing the black color in 2008, they wanted to sell these as a hearse, take away from the Cadi's. :angel:
Way :eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'll answer a few posts at once... lets see...

the 4x8 capacity is not always a neccessity, but a) it's a good judge of interior floor space b) there's a good number of things that could come in 4x8 capacity besides plywood, for those of us who find a truck impractical for everything else.

as for my post about on an angle was not meaning side to side, but rather if either the front end or back end of the sheet was put in at an angle (like having a ramp inside the acadia) that could theoretically make a sheet fit inside.

beyond that, the cargo space thing with me, involving the suburban is traveling space with pets. Currently, i do have an 03 suburban. so far, it's just me and my wife, and our 2 80+ lb german shepherds... we take them with to christmas, thanksgiving, etc when we go out to the country to visit my family. (no kids yet, but workin on it ;) ) Right now, when we travel, the dogs are harnessed in behind the 3rd row seat, and they get that space, which leaves the space from the front of the 3rd row to the back of the front seats for cargo carrying space. (think christmas, with presents, luggage, etc etc, and dog food of course!..... used to do this with my GMC Jimmy, but just ran out of room, so we traded up. Obviously the Acadia is bigger than my Jimmy was, but not sure how it all would fit....

·
Registered
246 Posts
morpheus said:
Naw. If ya need to do that, then go borrow (or test drive ;D) a black Ford Flex

·
Registered
31 Posts
I traded an 03 Chevy Suburban 1500 XL for my Acadia. I had the captains chairs in my sub ...just as in the Acadia and a third row removable bench in the Sub (which was a pain in the fanny). I think it carries people better than the Sub and loads easier to boot.

While I am sure I could pack more stuff in the sub and tow more, and pull bigger stumps, etc...I simply dont need that much space or power (anymore) for my current purposes. Much of the space in the sub was unusable (above the wheeel wells) and havent found myself wanting for space....and I sure dont miss that removable rear seat. I still haul alot of stuff and the Acadia seems to do most everthing the sub would do (I dont pack it for trade shows anymore - my old need) and it tows and hauls my needs just fine....and with a far better drive. (I have had a 4x4 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells on two occasions, although you cant stack em very high...for what its worth)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts